China's Coronavirus is Much Worse Than You Think

Discussion of current events
Doc

China's Coronavirus is Much Worse Than You Think

Post by Doc » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:25 pm

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Milo

Re: China's Coronavirus is Much Worse Than You Think

Post by Milo » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:17 am

Dictatorships like China are not very good at cover-ups when open societies take notice, they are not used to skilled investigation.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:28 am

Milo wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:17 am
Dictatorships like China are not very good at cover-ups when open societies take notice, they are not used to skilled investigation.
What cover-up?...Has China tried to cover-up their coronavirus crisis?...

Milo

Post by Milo » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:36 am

Sertorio wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:28 am
Milo wrote:
You should ask them.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:46 am

Milo wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:36 am
Sertorio wrote:
Milo wrote:
You should ask them.
You implied they did, so it's up to you to explain your statement.

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:16 am

Sertorio wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:46 am
Milo wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
Milo wrote:
You should ask them.
In 2003 the Chinese government tried to cover up the SARS outbreak. Though it seems to be doing better this time but the current outbreak is spreading faster than SARS.

Number of new (official) cases are growing ~ 60% per day.

At that rate it would take 35 days from today to infect the entire world.

That is of course without intervention.

But consider this: the Spanish Flu killed many by dehydration due to everyone locally getting sick at the same time. In the US whole towns got sick at the same time. People too sick to get out of bed to get something to drink, with no one well enough to help them.

Measles is the most transmissible illness known. It can survive to infect people up to two hours in the air. So why is the Chinese government spraying disinfectant in empty streets and empty parks? Over caution or panic because they know something.. Plus they are working to build a 1,000 bed hospital in 6 days in Wuhan.

Many of the videos showing hospitals om Wuhan overwhelmed with patients are due to this being the flu season and people being understandably frighten. Going to the hospital at the first signs of symptoms which are pretty similar with this outbreak.

At this point it is pretty hard to tell.

One tell is if the number of Coronavirus Wuhan exceeds the total number of people that were infected by SARS in 2003 That was between 7 and 8 thousand people. This out break is set to hit that number in 8 to 9 days

This outbreak seems to have a mortality rate of between 1 to 2 % as opposed to SARS at 10% and MERS which was 35% (Total infections 2,500) Given that the current outbreak so far has seemed much more transmissible, even though much stronger measures have been taken to stem it shows that this could be more serious especially if it mutates to something more deadly. Without mutation it could be in the millions of dead.

There are reports of people that are infected that are not showing a fever. Which largely negates airport screening for fevers.

I seriously doubt this outbreak will be confined to mostly in Wuhan and even China.

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Milo

Post by Milo » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:51 am

Sertorio wrote:
Milo wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
Milo wrote:
You should ask them.
Dictatorships are in a constant process of covering things up, that's inherent to their nature.

Milo

Post by Milo » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:54 am

Doc wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:16 am
Sertorio wrote:
Milo wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
Milo wrote:
You should ask them.
In 2003 the Chinese government tried to cover up the SARS outbreak. Though it seems to be doing better this time but the current outbreak is spreading faster than SARS.

But consider this: the Spanish Flu killed many by dehydration due to everyone locally getting sick at the same time. In the US whole towns got sick at the same time. People too sick to get out of bed to get something to drink, with no one well enough to help them.

Measles is the most transmissible illness known. It can survive to infect people up to two hours in the air. So why is the Chinese government spraying disinfectant in empty streets and empty parks? Over caution or panic because they know something.. Plus they are working to build a 1,000 bed hospital in 6 days in Wuhan.

Many of the videos showing hospitals om Wuhan overwhelmed with patients are due to this being the flu season and people being understandably frighten. Going to the hospital at the first signs of symptoms which are pretty similar with this outbreak.

One tell is if the number of Coronavirus Wuhan exceeds the total number of people that were infected by SARS in 2003 That was between 7 and 8 thousand people. This out break is set to hit that number in 8 to 9 days

This outbreak seems to have a mortality rate of between 1 to 2 % as opposed to SARS at 10% and MERS which was 35% (Total infections 2,500) Given that the current outbreak so far has seemed much more transmissible, even though much stronger measures have been taken to stem it shows that this could be more serious especially if it mutates to something more deadly. Without mutation it could be in the millions of dead.

There are reports of people that are infected that are not showing a fever. Which largely negates airport screening for fevers.

I seriously doubt this outbreak will be confined to mostly in Wuhan and even China.

Much of this is of course theatre; I have never heard of a virus that is vulnerable to disinfectant for instance.

And only an extremely affluent and privileged world could find the time to freak out about an outbreak of flu that is affected less than 1000 people so far. I am very gratified that we have made such progress that we find time to worry about things like this.

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:19 am

Milo wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:54 am
Doc wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:16 am
Sertorio wrote:
Milo wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
Milo wrote:
You should ask them.

Much of this is of course theatre; I have never heard of a virus that is vulnerable to disinfectant for instance.

And only an extremely affluent and privileged world could find the time to freak out about an outbreak of flu that is affected less than 1000 people so far. I am very gratified that we have made such progress that we find time to worry about things like this.

Sure. Just speculation on my part Nothing to do about it other than maybe making sure there is a couple of bottles of water beside every bed enough canned food water to eat for some days. Hand sanitizer and medical masks to wear.

All of which seem to be in short supply in Wuhan along with hospital beds.

Do you keep band-aids in your house in case someone gets cut?

neverfail

Re: politics is a dirty, deceitful game everywhere Milo

Post by neverfail » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:01 pm

Milo wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:51 am
Dictatorships are in a constant process of covering things up, that's inherent to their nature.
Recalling some of the many instances that democratically elected governments in the West have attempted, not always successfully, to spare themselves political embarrassment through cover-ups, I would say that it is more in the nature of POLITICS, not exclusively that of dictatorships to do so Milo.