The Most Successful Oil Economy That’s Moving Away From Oil

Discussion of current events
neverfail
Posts: 4781
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am
Location: Singapore

The Most Successful Oil Economy That’s Moving Away From Oil

Post by neverfail » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:31 pm

“It is cheaper to produce solar than to use a conventional gas plant."

https://oilprice.com/Geopolitics/Middle ... m-Oil.html
Now, here is a country of Arabic population with an Islamic heritage with its head screwed on properly.

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 3710
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: The Most Successful Oil Economy That’s Moving Away From Oil

Post by cassowary » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:08 am

They have a lot of desert, ideal for solar energy. Let's hope it works.
The Imp :D

neverfail
Posts: 4781
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am
Location: Singapore

Re: The Most Successful Oil Economy That’s Moving Away From Oil

Post by neverfail » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:17 pm

cassowary wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:08 am
They have a lot of desert, ideal for solar energy. Let's hope it works.
:D Amen!

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 3710
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: The Most Successful Oil Economy That’s Moving Away From Oil

Post by cassowary » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:23 pm

neverfail wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:17 pm
cassowary wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:08 am
They have a lot of desert, ideal for solar energy. Let's hope it works.
:D Amen!
Unfortunately Singapore’s rainy and cloudy sky means that it will take longer for me to get my solar investment back. Solar is still not viable here.

Australia is lucky.
The Imp :D

neverfail
Posts: 4781
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am
Location: Singapore

Re: The Most Successful Oil Economy That’s Moving Away From Oil

Post by neverfail » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:48 pm

cassowary wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:23 pm
neverfail wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:17 pm
cassowary wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:08 am
They have a lot of desert, ideal for solar energy. Let's hope it works.
:D Amen!
Unfortunately Singapore’s rainy and cloudy sky means that it will take longer for me to get my solar investment back. Solar is still not viable here.

Australia is lucky.
if you will excuse us our bushfires. :)

User avatar
dagbay
Posts: 349
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:27 pm

Re: The Most Successful Oil Economy That’s Moving Away From Oil

Post by dagbay » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:14 pm

neverfail wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:48 pm
cassowary wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:23 pm
neverfail wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:17 pm
cassowary wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:08 am
They have a lot of desert, ideal for solar energy. Let's hope it works.
:D Amen!
Unfortunately Singapore’s rainy and cloudy sky means that it will take longer for me to get my solar investment back. Solar is still not viable here.

Australia is lucky.
if you will excuse us our bushfires. :)
It's never too late to start a solar power program. I have my doubts about its efficacy even in that sun scorched desert. The best option is the solar tower as it solves the carryover energy storage to cover low sun periods including night time. The environmental side effects are substantial primarily the BBQ effect for flying wildlife that crosses the hot beams and the horrible glare that blinds any one in a many mile radius. Best if such towers are placed iv a valley surrounded by his that would obscure it.
I'd rather be diving or flying alas for now I am on terra firma.

User avatar
Milo
Posts: 2422
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: The Most Successful Oil Economy That’s Moving Away From Oil

Post by Milo » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:44 am

Solar is definitely part of the equation but I can't see how it can meet all our energy needs, we need nuclear power for a green future that gives us enough energy to progress.

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 3266
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: The Most Successful Oil Economy That’s Moving Away From Oil

Post by Sertorio » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:26 am

Milo wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:44 am
Solar is definitely part of the equation but I can't see how it can meet all our energy needs, we need nuclear power for a green future that gives us enough energy to progress.
It's simply an engineering problem. The energy reaching us from the sun is so great that eventually we will solve all our energy problems that way. Eventually with the help of large mirrors in orbit which will overcome the problem of not having sunlight at night.

User avatar
Milo
Posts: 2422
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: The Most Successful Oil Economy That’s Moving Away From Oil

Post by Milo » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:12 am

Sertorio wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:26 am
Milo wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:44 am
Solar is definitely part of the equation but I can't see how it can meet all our energy needs, we need nuclear power for a green future that gives us enough energy to progress.
It's simply an engineering problem. The energy reaching us from the sun is so great that eventually we will solve all our energy problems that way. Eventually with the help of large mirrors in orbit which will overcome the problem of not having sunlight at night.
One must balance the energy cost of building such things against the energy they would harness. I cannot see large mirrors in orbit ever getting enough energy back down to earth in a sustainable and energy-profitable way.

User avatar
Doc
Posts: 4004
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Cradle To Grave

Re: The Most Successful Oil Economy That’s Moving Away From Oil

Post by Doc » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:28 am

Milo wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:12 am
Sertorio wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:26 am
Milo wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:44 am
Solar is definitely part of the equation but I can't see how it can meet all our energy needs, we need nuclear power for a green future that gives us enough energy to progress.
It's simply an engineering problem. The energy reaching us from the sun is so great that eventually we will solve all our energy problems that way. Eventually with the help of large mirrors in orbit which will overcome the problem of not having sunlight at night.
One must balance the energy cost of building such things against the energy they would harness. I cannot see large mirrors in orbit ever getting enough energy back down to earth in a sustainable and energy-profitable way.
Mirrors in orbit reflecting light to earth will increase the global temperature....

The Original idea that was considered was solar panels in space using microwave transmission to get the energy back to earth. The issue with that is preventing aircraft from flying through the microwave beam. Birds as well.

Seems this will have to wait until there is a space elevator

Which currently we have no material strong enough with which to build one:
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Post Reply