Australian Bushfires

Discussion of current events
Jim the Moron

Australian Bushfires

Post by Jim the Moron » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:56 am

"The Truth"
https://videos.whatfinger.com/2020/01/0 ... bushfires/

It ain't climate change . . . "Fucking wombats" (from the video)

neverfail

Re: Australian Bushfires

Post by neverfail » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:58 am

Beware of scam websites. Several are known to be operating spuriously soliciting donations for bushfire relief out here.

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:40 pm

Any comment on the video, n'fail?

armchair_pundit

Post by armchair_pundit » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:56 pm

well, duh, fake news! Arson? not in good ol' Oz!

Its Climate Change dammit, its changing!

Greta is disappointed...

Doc

Post by Doc » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:43 pm

neverfail wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:58 am
Beware of scam websites. Several are known to be operating spuriously soliciting donations for bushfire relief out here.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/07/australi ... index.html

Police in Australia are accusing 24 people of deliberately setting bushfires

Police have charged at least 24 people for intentionally starting bushfires in the state of New South Wales, according to a statement the New South Wales Police released Monday.
NSW Police have taken legal action against 183 people, 40 of whom are juveniles, for fire-related offenses since November 8, the statement said. The legal actions range from cautions to criminal charges.
Australia's deadly wildfires are showing no signs of stopping. Here's what you need to know
Australia's deadly wildfires are showing no signs of stopping. Here's what you need to know
Out of those 183 people, 53 have received cautions or criminal charges for failing to comply with a total fire ban and 47 are accused of discarding a lit cigarette or match on land, according to the police statement.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:51 pm

"It has nothing to do with climate change." that was enough to turn me off.

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:38 am

neverfail wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:51 pm
"It has nothing to do with climate change." that was enough to turn me off.
In the US we call that "triggered"
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:36 pm

You see it has EVERYTHING to do with climate change.

I have witnessed the summers getting hotter and the winters getting warmer ( and shorter) over my life span. and shorter). it has interfered with our rainfall patterns making these more erratic. Droughts have become longer and the intervening shorter periods of flooding rains more destructive.

And our bush country! In lands endowed with moister climates than ours when forest litter and other spent vegetation falls to earth it usually decomposes rapidly into a humus that then fertilizes further vegetation growth. But our Australian bush and eucalyptus forest country is not like that. Due to dry soil there is a shortage of microbes to cause decomposition so the dried out combustibles (shed bark, fallen branches, twigs, leaves etc) can accumulate for years creating a tinder box condition where it merely takes a spark to ignite a conflagration.

And the eucalypti species' which dominate our landscape wherever there is enough rainfall to sustain tree growth are so full of flammable oils that in hot dry weather when a wildfire comes through these can and do explode into flames like detonated bombs,

It matters not whether the bushfires are started by human intervention (malicious arson or irresponsible kids playing with matches) or by natural causes (like lightning strikes during electrical storms) the point is that years of forest litter accumulation combined with a long drought and particularly hot dry summertime temperatures has made the outbreak of the current round of bushfires in this country both inevitable and unavoidable.

You overseas climate change deniers should stop trying to point the accusing finger as an alternative to admitting that you have got it wrong..

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:52 am

At the risk of again triggering neverfail, it's about time that we recognize that climate change is a cyclic phenomenon, observable within our lifetimes, within centuries, and in geologic time. I will refrain from again posting that previously posted video, wherein the interviewed salty gentleman rudely rips politician response to the conflagration.

Ongoing wonderful efforts there to save critters, endangered or otherwise, from the flames.

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:48 am

neverfail wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:36 pm
You see it has EVERYTHING to do with climate change.

I have witnessed the summers getting hotter and the winters getting warmer ( and shorter) over my life span. and shorter). it has interfered with our rainfall patterns making these more erratic. Droughts have become longer and the intervening shorter periods of flooding rains more destructive.

I think what you see as change is actually you getting older NF :P

And our bush country! In lands endowed with moister climates than ours when forest litter and other spent vegetation falls to earth it usually decomposes rapidly into a humus that then fertilizes further vegetation growth. But our Australian bush and eucalyptus forest country is not like that. Due to dry soil there is a shortage of microbes to cause decomposition so the dried out combustibles (shed bark, fallen branches, twigs, leaves etc) can accumulate for years creating a tinder box condition where it merely takes a spark to ignite a conflagration.

And the eucalypti species' which dominate our landscape wherever there is enough rainfall to sustain tree growth are so full of flammable oils that in hot dry weather when a wildfire comes through these can and do explode into flames like detonated bombs,

It matters not whether the bushfires are started by human intervention (malicious arson or irresponsible kids playing with matches) or by natural causes (like lightning strikes during electrical storms) the point is that years of forest litter accumulation combined with a long drought and particularly hot dry summertime temperatures has made the outbreak of the current round of bushfires in this country both inevitable and unavoidable.

You overseas climate change deniers should stop trying to point the accusing finger as an alternative to admitting that you have got it wrong..
I don't think anyone is denying climate change. Without climate change we would all be dead.