Re: Thanksgiving in HK

Post by Jim the Moron » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:37 pm

armchair_pundit wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:26 am
neverfail wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:52 am
Doc wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:42 am

Yeah. It is why the US system of the electoral college where the POTUS is elected by state rather than by popular vote exist as well. It would only take the popular votes of five large states to win a presidential election.
The practice of choosing a president via electoral college votes instead of directly by popular vote I have heard is a relic left over from your pre-civil war era of slavery. Like the Missouri Compromise it was originally brought in to placate the slave owning states of The South. Clearly a feature of American "democracy" about one and one half centuries overdue for reform.
But of course you have an mis-informed opinion on it, and like all things American, you know the right way to fix things, yes?

You have no clue as to the importance of the electoral college to democracy in the US.
Americans are fortunate that non-Americans are not allowed to dictate to them how they should conduct their constitutional matters . . .

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:47 pm

Jim the Moron wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:37 pm
armchair_pundit wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:26 am
neverfail wrote:
Doc wrote:

Yeah. It is why the US system of the electoral college where the POTUS is elected by state rather than by popular vote exist as well. It would only take the popular votes of five large states to win a presidential election.
The practice of choosing a president via electoral college votes instead of directly by popular vote I have heard is a relic left over from your pre-civil war era of slavery. Like the Missouri Compromise it was originally brought in to placate the slave owning states of The South. Clearly a feature of American "democracy" about one and one half centuries overdue for reform.
But of course you have an mis-informed opinion on it, and like all things American, you know the right way to fix things, yes?

You have no clue as to the importance of the electoral college to democracy in the US.
Americans are fortunate that non-Americans are not allowed to dictate to them how they should conduct their constitutional matters . . .
Unfortunately Americans seem to think they are allowed to dictate how other countries should conduct their constitutional matters (Venezuela, Syria, Bolivia, Germany, etc....)

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:27 pm

neverfail wrote:
Doc wrote:

That, however, is not what I meant by "checks and balances".
How did it placate the slave owning states? I think it was the placate small states like Rhodes Island and Vermont who feared being dominated by large states into joining the union.

Anyway, it’s not that different from the British Parliamentary system which Australia has. I recall Labour beating Conservatives under Ted Heath in the 1970’s despite losing the popular vote because they won the majority of the constituencies.
The Imp :D

Doc

Post by Doc » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:29 pm

neverfail wrote:
n
Doc wrote:

That, however, is not what I meant by "checks and balances".
It was written into the original constitution not a later add on and it is hardly a relic. Hillary Clinton's 2016 campaign and its after math are proof that it is not a relic
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:39 pm

Milo wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:50 pm
Doc wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:27 pm
neverfail wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:53 pm
cassowary wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:18 am
Allegedly. There are some doubts that Franklin actually said that.
Understandably so! Benjamin Franklin was an esteemed scientist and prodigious inventor in his day. He also went on to ably serve his country as George Washington's envoy to the royal French court at Versailles.

I do not believe that such a high-caliber individual would have made a fool of himself making such an absurd statement.
https://www.quora.com/What-does-the-quo ... lunch-mean
One more time.

He didn't say it.
Ben may not have said it but that does not mean the part about two wolves devouring on the lamb is not true. There are two voters with below average income for every voter above average income.

That’s why you get high taxes to pay for the welfare state which benefits those with below average income.

Those below average income are thus the wolves while those above are the lambs.

Maybe it is less gory and more funny to put it in another way. There are two bums for every one brain. So in a democracy, the bums will always out vote the brains. Thus you get a government of bums and for the bums. :D

neverfail

Re: an unfair voting system.

Post by neverfail » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:44 pm

Doc wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:29 pm
It was written into the original constitution not a later add on and it is hardly a relic. Hillary Clinton's 2016 campaign and its after math are proof that it is not a relic
Thanks for that correction doc. It only means that the US needs constitutional reform as the key to electoral reform.

Recalling how Hillary got 3 million more votes than Donald in 2016 it still means that the will of the people was thwarted. Nothing could be plainer.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:48 pm

cassowary wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:39 pm

Ben may not have said it but that does not mean the part about two wolves devouring on the lamb is not true. There are two voters with below average income for every voter above average income.

That’s why you get high taxes to pay for the welfare state which benefits those with below average income.

Maybe it is less gory and more funny to put it in another way. There are two bums for every one brain. So in a democracy, the bums will always out vote the brains. Thus you get a government of bums and for the bums. :D
Yeah, yeah, yeah! We have heard it all before from you Cassowary to the point of boredom.

You are good at coming up with radical definitions divorced from practical experience like that, aren't you?

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:55 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:48 pm
cassowary wrote:

Yeah, yeah, yeah! We have heard it all before from you Cassowary to the point of boredom.

You are good at coming up with radical definitions divorced from practical experience like that, aren't you?
You are not good at refuting whatever I said. Just dismissing it is not refutation.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:56 pm

cassowary wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:55 pm
neverfail wrote:
cassowary wrote:

You are not good at refuting whatever I said. Just dismissing it is not refutation.
Do you deny that your "wolves and lambs" take on democracy is quite radical?

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:38 pm

neverfail wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:56 pm
cassowary wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:55 pm
neverfail wrote:
cassowary wrote:

Do you deny that your "wolves and lambs" take on democracy is quite radical?
Why is it radical? It’s the truth. Do you deny that it’s true?