Thanksgiving in HK

Discussion of current events
neverfail

Re: Thanksgiving in HK

Post by neverfail » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:53 pm

cassowary wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:18 am
Allegedly. There are some doubts that Franklin actually said that.
Understandably so! Benjamin Franklin was an esteemed scientist and prodigious inventor in his day. He also went on to ably serve his country as George Washington's envoy to the royal French court at Versailles.

I do not believe that such a high-caliber individual would have made a fool of himself making such an absurd statement.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:39 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:53 pm
cassowary wrote:
Understandably so! Benjamin Franklin was an esteemed scientist and prodigious inventor in his day. He also went on to ably serve his country as George Washington's envoy to the royal French court at Versailles.

I do not believe that such a high-caliber individual would have made a fool of himself making such an absurd statement.
Whether Ben actually said that or not, there is truth in the statement that democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on who to have for lunch, as I explained. Not sure what he or whoever meant by the well armed lamb, though.
The Imp :D

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:27 pm

neverfail wrote:
cassowary wrote:

https://www.quora.com/What-does-the-quo ... lunch-mean
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Milo

Post by Milo » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:50 pm

Doc wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:27 pm
neverfail wrote:
cassowary wrote:

One more time.

He didn't say it.

Doc

Post by Doc » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:30 am

Milo wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:50 pm
Doc wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:27 pm
neverfail wrote:
cassowary wrote:

One more time.

He didn't say it.
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html
Individual Rights
Jan. 12, 1992
12 AM

The ACLU’s cross lawsuit and the Libertarians’ tax lawsuit share an interesting theme. We have been treated to the spectacle of politicians pleading for permission to continue breaking the law. In the case of the jail tax, it is particularly ironic that the lawbreakers say they need the illegal money so they can lock up the lawbreakers. Ask not for whom the lock clicks.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote. Those rights are spelled out in the Bill of Rights and in our California Constitution. Voters and politicians alike would do well to take a look at the rights we each hold, which must never be chipped away by the whim of the majority.

MARVIN SIMKIN, San Diego
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:40 am

Doc wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:30 am

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote. Those rights are spelled out in the Bill of Rights and in our California Constitution. Voters and politicians alike would do well to take a look at the rights we each hold, which must never be chipped away by the whim of the majority.

MARVIN SIMKIN, San Diego
[/quote]

'Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch = a straw man, radical misrepresentation of how modern democracy works.

That's why all modern "democracies" have checks and balances against abuse of power: including abuse of power in the name of majority opinion.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:52 am

cassowary wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:39 pm
Whether Ben actually said that or not, there is truth in the statement that democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on who to have for lunch, as I explained. Not sure what he or whoever meant by the well armed lamb, though.
That sentence is bullshit - just like the sentence before it.

Of course you are free to believe in whatever nonsense catches your fancy Cass. :)

Doc

Post by Doc » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:42 am

neverfail wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:40 am
Doc wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:30 am

MARVIN SIMKIN, San Diego
'Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch = a straw man, radical misrepresentation of how modern democracy works.

That's why all modern "democracies" have checks and balances against abuse of power: including abuse of power in the name of majority opinion.
[/quote]

Yeah. It is why the US system of the electoral college where the POTUS is elected by state rather than by popular vote exist as well. It would only take the popular votes of five large states to win a presidential election.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:52 am

Doc wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:42 am

Yeah. It is why the US system of the electoral college where the POTUS is elected by state rather than by popular vote exist as well. It would only take the popular votes of five large states to win a presidential election.
The practice of choosing a president via electoral college votes instead of directly by popular vote I have heard is a relic left over from your pre-civil war era of slavery. Like the Missouri Compromise it was originally brought in to placate the slave owning states of The South. Clearly a feature of American "democracy" about one and one half centuries overdue for reform.

That, however, is not what I meant by "checks and balances".

armchair_pundit

Post by armchair_pundit » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:26 am

neverfail wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:52 am
Doc wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:42 am

The practice of choosing a president via electoral college votes instead of directly by popular vote I have heard is a relic left over from your pre-civil war era of slavery. Like the Missouri Compromise it was originally brought in to placate the slave owning states of The South. Clearly a feature of American "democracy" about one and one half centuries overdue for reform.
But of course you have an mis-informed opinion on it, and like all things American, you know the right way to fix things, yes?

You have no clue as to the importance of the electoral college to democracy in the US.