UK Elections 2019

Discussion of current events
User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 3006
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

UK Elections 2019

Post by Sertorio » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:40 am

Image


Under normal circumstances I would like Labour to win. In view of the fact that only the Conservative will make sure of Brexit, I am making an exception and I'm hoping the Conservative will win...

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 3006
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: UK Elections 2019

Post by Sertorio » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:42 am

Latest polls indicate the following results of the coming UK elections:

Image

With such a major Conservative victory, Brexit will go ahead and the UK will (finally) leave the EU, leaving Europe free to go its own way in foreign relations and defense. And Scotland will split from the UK and rejoin the EU. Since Scots are unlikely to want remaining the vassals of the US, that will be welcome news.

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 3443
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: UK Elections 2019

Post by cassowary » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:50 am

Sertorio wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:40 am
Image


Under normal circumstances I would like Labour to win. In view of the fact that only the Conservative will make sure of Brexit, I am making an exception and I'm hoping the Conservative will win...
I hope the Conservatives will win too.

Why do you want Brexit? Let me guess.

You support Brexit because you want to weaken the EU so that it is better for Russia. Right?
The Imp :D

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 3006
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: UK Elections 2019

Post by Sertorio » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:23 am

cassowary wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:50 am

Why do you want Brexit? Let me guess.

You support Brexit because you want to weaken the EU so that it is better for Russia. Right?
I support Brexit because I want to strengthen the EU, so that it can more easily free itself from US meddling in European affairs.

neverfail
Posts: 4360
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am
Location: Singapore

Re: UK Elections 2019

Post by neverfail » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:20 pm

It looks to me like the Conservatives will win by default of Labour. They will win not because (based upon performance) they deserve to win but because the current Labour leader Jeremy Corbin is unacceptable to the British public.

An old style Marxist with nothing to offer other than more of the failed policies of the past.

The UK can do without that.

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 3443
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: UK Elections 2019

Post by cassowary » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:26 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:23 am
cassowary wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:50 am

Why do you want Brexit? Let me guess.

You support Brexit because you want to weaken the EU so that it is better for Russia. Right?
I support Brexit because I want to strengthen the EU, so that it can more easily free itself from US meddling in European affairs.
I don’t see how Brexit will reduce US influence or “meddling”, as you call it in the EU. It is still part of NATO and the Europeans want the US to protect them from Russia.
The Imp :D

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 3443
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: UK Elections 2019

Post by cassowary » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:27 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:20 pm
It looks to me like the Conservatives will win by default of Labour. They will win not because (based upon performance) they deserve to win but because the current Labour leader Jeremy Corbin is unacceptable to the British public.

An old style Marxist with nothing to offer other than more of the failed policies of the past.

The UK can do without that.
I agree. It seems Marxists have penetrated the Democratic Party in the US. The UK election may be a harbinger for how the US election will go.
The Imp :D

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 3006
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: UK Elections 2019

Post by Sertorio » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:57 am

cassowary wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:26 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:23 am
cassowary wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:50 am

Why do you want Brexit? Let me guess.

You support Brexit because you want to weaken the EU so that it is better for Russia. Right?
I support Brexit because I want to strengthen the EU, so that it can more easily free itself from US meddling in European affairs.
I don’t see how Brexit will reduce US influence or “meddling”, as you call it in the EU. It is still part of NATO and the Europeans want the US to protect them from Russia.
The UK is a major stumbling block on Europe developping its own defense capabilities. After Brexit Europe may start becoming more independent of the US, and replace NATO with its own defense system. It's not by chance that Macron says that NATO is brain dead. It will take some time, but Europe will be free again. Free to develop a partnership with Russia, which is the logical thing for Europe to do.

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 3443
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: UK Elections 2019

Post by cassowary » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:03 am

Sertorio wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:57 am
cassowary wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:26 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:23 am
cassowary wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:50 am

Why do you want Brexit? Let me guess.

You support Brexit because you want to weaken the EU so that it is better for Russia. Right?
I support Brexit because I want to strengthen the EU, so that it can more easily free itself from US meddling in European affairs.
I don’t see how Brexit will reduce US influence or “meddling”, as you call it in the EU. It is still part of NATO and the Europeans want the US to protect them from Russia.
The UK is a major stumbling block on Europe developping its own defense capabilities. After Brexit Europe may start becoming more independent of the US, and replace NATO with its own defense system. It's not by chance that Macron says that NATO is brain dead. It will take some time, but Europe will be free again. Free to develop a partnership with Russia, which is the logical thing for Europe to do.
I don't think Europe wants a partnership with Russia. The EU wants the US to protect them from Russia.
The Imp :D

neverfail
Posts: 4360
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am
Location: Singapore

Re: UK Elections 2019

Post by neverfail » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:26 am

Sertorio wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:57 am
The UK is a major stumbling block on Europe developping its own defense capabilities.
Of course the fact that the multi national inhabitants of mainland Europe have an endless capacity for squabbles in their own right has nothing to do with Europe's lack of an ex-NATO deference capability, does it?

Who would carry the cost burden? The Germans are already fed up over being treated as the milch cow of the EU. Would French soldiers gladly serve under a German supreme commander? Would anyone trust an Italian field marshal? And so on.

And what about usage of a pan-European force and where? Who would hold that power?

As occasional contributor Alexis wisely pointed out "there is no country called Europe"

Post Reply