North Korea

Discussion of current events
Sertorio

Re: North Korea

Post by Sertorio » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:29 am

cassowary wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:53 pm
I think N Korea will eventually collapse internally like East Germany did during the Cold War and then reunite with the South. The sanctions are squeezing the life of the N Korean regime. That is why Fatty Kim wants to meet Trump - to lift the sanctions.

If N Korea follows the Germany template, it will be a disaster for China. They lose an ally - perhaps the only one it has. Worse for them, it may stir up trouble at home just as the ferment in Poland led to the collapse of the USSR. News of a collapse of a Communist regime will encourage China's own dissidents. That's what the Chinese are afraid of.

I hope that happens. If it happens, Trump will be as great as Reagan.
You should try your hand at writing novels. You have such an imagination... :D

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:32 am

Sertorio wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:29 am
cassowary wrote:
I think N Korea will eventually collapse internally like East Germany did during the Cold War and then reunite with the South. The sanctions are squeezing the life of the N Korean regime. That is why Fatty Kim wants to meet Trump - to lift the sanctions.

If N Korea follows the Germany template, it will be a disaster for China. They lose an ally - perhaps the only one it has. Worse for them, it may stir up trouble at home just as the ferment in Poland led to the collapse of the USSR. News of a collapse of a Communist regime will encourage China's own dissidents. That's what the Chinese are afraid of.

What then is your interpretation of the events that led to the collapse of the USSR? The same thing may or may not happen to N Korea and China. But how do you explain the fall of the Berlin Wall?

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:37 am

cassowary wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:32 am
Sertorio wrote:
cassowary wrote:

What then is your interpretation of the events that led to the collapse of the USSR? The same thing may or may not happen to N Korea and China. But how do you explain the fall of the Berlin Wall?
Kim Jong-un is no Gorbachev... While Gorbachev was (is) a weakling, although well meaning politician, Kim is a strongman, totally in control of a country which has little doubts about its destiny. While Gorbachev was always prepared to give in, Kim will never surrender...

Doc

Post by Doc » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:59 am

Sertorio wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:37 am
cassowary wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
cassowary wrote:

Kim Jong-un is no Gorbachev... While Gorbachev was (is) a weakling, although well meaning politician, Kim is a strongman, totally in control of a country which has little doubts about its destiny. While Gorbachev was always prepared to give in, Kim will never surrender...
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:18 pm

Sertorio wrote:
cassowary wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
cassowary wrote:

As ever, your admiration for loathsome dictators knows no bounds.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:31 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:18 pm
Sertorio wrote:
cassowary wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
cassowary wrote:

Steve. In this case I humbly suggest that it's is not a case of "admiration for loathsome dictators" but a sound assessment of the situation by Sertorio. The regime that Kim presides over might indeed be loathsome but it is still very effective.

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:49 pm

Effective in what sense?

Doc

Post by Doc » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:32 pm

Jim the Moron wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:49 pm
Effective in what sense?
Effective in repressing and killing people?
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:41 pm

Effective at holding the country together and keeping itself in power.

After all, North Korea has already outlasted its old mentor, the Soviet Union, by over a quarter of a century.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:13 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:18 pm
Sertorio wrote:
cassowary wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
cassowary wrote:

Recognizing a fact is not an act of "admiration". People who think like you think that falsefying facts relating to someone you don't like is a good thing. Any lie is acceptable as long as it makes your enemy look bad... And you still dare to criticize Russian propaganda...