Re: Bashar al-Assad's Syria

Post by neverfail » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:49 pm

dagbay wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:38 am
neverfail wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:37 pm
dagbay wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:42 pm
The kurds had a good chance to become independent a couple of years ago but they failed miserably to unite. Instead they splintered and started backstabbing each other and forfitted their opportunity.
Hey Dagbay, is Israel located in the midst of a region full of political crackpots?
It has been this way all along history but things turned ugly during the "Arab Spring" better named the "Arab winter" with so many disfunctional former countries.
Yep! I can see where Israel gets it's foreign admirer's from.

In the kingdom of the blind the one-eyed man is king - and all that!

dagbay

Post by dagbay » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:23 am

neverfail wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:49 pm
dagbay wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:38 am
neverfail wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:37 pm
dagbay wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:42 pm
The kurds had a good chance to become independent a couple of years ago but they failed miserably to unite. Instead they splintered and started backstabbing each other and forfitted their opportunity.
Hey Dagbay, is Israel located in the midst of a region full of political crackpots?
It has been this way all along history but things turned ugly during the "Arab Spring" better named the "Arab winter" with so many disfunctional former countries.
Yep! I can see where Israel gets it's foreign admirer's from.

In the kingdom of the blind the one-eyed man is king - and all that!
Aka A thorn in the desert is a flower.
But hardly the case for Israel of course depending on one's point of view.
I'd rather be diving or flying alas for now I am on terra firma.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:41 pm

Kurds find new allies in fight against Turkey
The Turkish army and its Syrian rebel allies drove Kurdish forces from Afrin in 2018.

The SDF, a vital US ally in the campaign against Islamic State, has called Washington's move "a stab in the back".

"In order to prevent and block this (Turkish) assault agreement has been reached with the Syrian government - whose duty is protect the borders of the country and to protect Syrian sovereignty - for the Syrian army to enter and deploy along the length of the Syrian-Turkish border," Sunday's statement said.

Kurdish-led forces had shrugged off Damascus' rule in 2012 at the height of Syria's civil war, when the Syrian government pulled out troops to focus on the fighting elsewhere. They established control over swathes of eastern and northern Syria, setting up their own governments but always saying their aim was autonomy rather than independence.

News of a deal between the rivals came after reports of Russian-brokered talks at an airbase in Syria.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/world/ ... 530bs.html
The Syrian government has not stabbed the Kurds in the back yet. That makes it an acceptable ally (for now). :(

dagbay

Post by dagbay » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:44 pm

Actually more like mercenaries for benefit Erdugan being their longstanding enemy it makes sense to join forces with Bashar. They worked for the US before but Trump is not interested anymore. In fact by genius or chance he has found the only formula that has and can bring about stability (but not peace) to the region - a balance of power. By removing Saddam Husain the SuShi equilibrium was distributed as the only massive block of Iran's expansionist aims was removed. Erdman is stepping in to fill that roll and Trump is giving him limited range to play. That has placed Iran on the defensive in Syria where they wanted to build an arch of influence stretching to the Meditrenian Sea..

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:25 pm

dagbay wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:44 pm
Actually more like mercenaries for benefit Erdugan being their longstanding enemy it makes sense to join forces with Bashar. They worked for the US before but Trump is not interested anymore. In fact by genius or chance he has found the only formula that has and can bring about stability (but not peace) to the region - a balance of power. By removing Saddam Husain the SuShi equilibrium was distributed as the only massive block of Iran's expansionist aims was removed. Erdman is stepping in to fill that roll and Trump is giving him limited range to play. That has placed Iran on the defensive in Syria where they wanted to build an arch of influence stretching to the Meditrenian Sea..
Wanted to - past tense?

I thought that Iran had successfully done that already.

dagbay

Post by dagbay » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:59 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:25 pm
dagbay wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:44 pm
Wanted to - past tense?

No the haven't and are kicked out from Syria by the Russians, facing serious baclsh in Iraq, facing unrest in Lebanon and of course kicked out of their outposts near Israel. Now Turkey is entering the fry and revitalizing ISIS. No the Iranian plan is far from done.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:17 am

dagbay wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:59 pm
neverfail wrote:
se?

No the haven't and are kicked out from Syria by the Russians, facing serious baclsh in Iraq, facing unrest in Lebanon and of course kicked out of their outposts near Israel. Now Turkey is entering the fry and revitalizing ISIS. No the Iranian plan is far from done.
:oops: :? :o

I stand corrected.

Dagbay:

Kicked out of Syria by the RUSSIANS? How so? I was under the impression that Russia and iran were/are allies of convenience.

Backlash in Iraq? But Iraq is supposed to be at least 60% Shia: the same kind of Islam as in Iran.

Unrest in Lebanon? Nothing new there.

Turkey is revitalizing ISIS? Why has not Turkey been kicked out of NATO by now?

Is ISIS supposed to be an improvement on Hezbollah as a neighbor for Israel?

In Israel, would they prefer to have Putin's Russians up there pulling the strings in Damascus to Iran doing the string pulling?

dagbay

Post by dagbay » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:52 am

neverfail wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:17 am
dagbay wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:59 pm
neverfail wrote:
se?

:oops: :? :o

I stand corrected.

Dagbay:

Kicked out of Syria by the RUSSIANS? How so? I was under the impression that Russia and iran were/are allies of convenience.

Backlash in Iraq? But Iraq is supposed to be at least 60% Shia: the same kind of Islam as in Iran.

Unrest in Lebanon? Nothing new there.

Turkey is revitalizing ISIS? Why has not Turkey been kicked out of NATO by now?

Is ISIS supposed to be an improvement on Hezbollah as a neighbor for Israel?

In Israel, would they prefer to have Putin's Russians up there pulling the strings in Damascus to Iran doing the string pulling?
Initially the Russians were happy that Iran was engaged in Syria. Iran got a collection of mercenaries and other hapless idiots to fight and die for Bashar (and further Iranian interests) but as the Iranians got bolder they tried to build a bridge head in Syria provoking US backed militias and Israel. Soon thereafter Putin chose to avoid further conflict by removing the Iranians from the western boarder and over time from the whole western part of Syria. The Kurds picked them as they retreated east.
Iraq used to be a majority Suni countryside ruled by a large city dwelling minority of Shia. The US insisted on democracy in Iraq and the Shia led government was elected and began purging Sunis who were forced to run to ISIS for protection. Iran swept the behind the scenes control of the government. But Iran is in economic survival war and is unable to buy the peace in Iraq. Anti govermIraqis have been protesting and getting killed by IRG operatives.
Lebanon w a single always unstable.
In my view Lebanon is a failed state and Hizballla is in shambles.
I would take Putnam in my view Putin is far preferable to Iran because unlike Iran one can understand his mindset

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:49 pm

Dagbay, I do not believe that you are right.
dagbay wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:52 am

Initially the Russians were happy that Iran was engaged in Syria. Iran got a collection of mercenaries and other hapless idiots to fight and die for Bashar (and further Iranian interests)...
No, those "hapless idiots" were/are local Shia Muslims who have long had sound reason to be supporters of of the Assad hereditary dictatorship (absolute monarchy in all but name). That these should have spiritual and other ties with Iran is a matter of course (for the very same reason that diasporas Jews have a web of spiritual and other ties with Israel). The Assad power structure was based upon gathering together all of the confessional minorities (including the Syrian Christians) together under his protective "umbrella" to shelter them from the vengeance of the Sunni.
dagbay wrote:
Iraq used to be a majority Suni countryside ruled by a large city dwelling minority of Shia. The US insisted on democracy in Iraq and the Shia led government was elected and began purging Sunis who were forced to run to ISIS for protection. Iran swept the behind the scenes control of the government.
I do not know where you got this garbled misinformation from Dagbay but in fact the population of Iraq was at the time of Saddam Hussein's rule and has remained since predominantly Shia (around two thirds of the total). The Shia heartland in in the south of Iraq; the Sunni in the centre and the Kurdish part is in the north. Saddam Hussein's Baath party regime used the same trick as Assad's Baath party regime in Syria of gathering together the interests of the country's minorities (including his own Sunni but excluding the Kurds) into an omnibus power structure of mutual protection. Then along came those blundering, know-all Americans with their la-de-dah, starry eyed vision of democracy for all (well, it works for us so it should work for everyone else too?) to upset the delicate balance. You are right only in that the Sunni minority out of desperation turned to ISIS for redress after the American occupiers stripped them of their former privileged power position leaving them unprotected from the vengeance of the newly empowered Shia majority.
dagbay wrote:
Lebanon w a single always unstable.
In my view Lebanon is a failed state and Hizballla is in shambles.
Lebanon was a better country when it was being run by its Christian minority.