US-ASEAN joint naval exercise sends a message to China

Discussion of current events
Post Reply
User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 3206
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

US-ASEAN joint naval exercise sends a message to China

Post by cassowary » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:02 am

US, ASEAN float together in the South China Sea
Inaugural joint US-ASEAN naval exercises send a rare and clear unified regional message to China
The United States has launched its first-ever joint naval drills with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), maneuvers that could add fuel to already simmering tensions in the contested South China Sea.

While organizers of this week’s 11-nation sea exercises all say that the drills are not overtly directed at China, they will nonetheless send a clear message that the US remains committed to keeping the strategic region’s crucial sea-lanes open.
The Imp :D

User avatar
Milo
Posts: 2074
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: US-ASEAN joint naval exercise sends a message to China

Post by Milo » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:44 am

I'm surprised this didn't start a long time ago.

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 2815
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: US-ASEAN joint naval exercise sends a message to China

Post by Sertorio » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:46 am

cassowary wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:02 am
US, ASEAN float together in the South China Sea
Inaugural joint US-ASEAN naval exercises send a rare and clear unified regional message to China
The United States has launched its first-ever joint naval drills with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), maneuvers that could add fuel to already simmering tensions in the contested South China Sea.

While organizers of this week’s 11-nation sea exercises all say that the drills are not overtly directed at China, they will nonetheless send a clear message that the US remains committed to keeping the strategic region’s crucial sea-lanes open.
The message is that vassals will keep kowtowing to their master... The usual thing... :(

neverfail
Posts: 3974
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am
Location: Singapore

Re: US-ASEAN joint naval exercise sends a message to China

Post by neverfail » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:42 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:46 am

The message is that vassals will keep kowtowing to their master... The usual thing... :(
:o It means nothing of the sort Sertorio!

I know that you would not mind seeing Portugal, along with the rest of Europe, become a vassal of Russia by preference but that does not mean that others have such a high regard for the prospect of living in the shadow of the China-Russia rogues' alliance of convenience. :)

User avatar
Doc
Posts: 3328
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Cradle To Grave

Re: US-ASEAN joint naval exercise sends a message to China

Post by Doc » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:26 pm

Milo wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:44 am
I'm surprised this didn't start a long time ago.
No US president of the recent past knew how to draw a line on a map.

The difference now is if China can draw a line on a map so can Trump. :D

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 3206
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: US-ASEAN joint naval exercise sends a message to China

Post by cassowary » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:06 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:46 am
cassowary wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:02 am
US, ASEAN float together in the South China Sea
Inaugural joint US-ASEAN naval exercises send a rare and clear unified regional message to China
The United States has launched its first-ever joint naval drills with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), maneuvers that could add fuel to already simmering tensions in the contested South China Sea.

While organizers of this week’s 11-nation sea exercises all say that the drills are not overtly directed at China, they will nonetheless send a clear message that the US remains committed to keeping the strategic region’s crucial sea-lanes open.
The message is that vassals will keep kowtowing to their master... The usual thing... :(
It is America that is saving us from becoming vassals of an odious Socialist dictatorship that kills innocents and harvest their organs.
The Imp :D

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 2815
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: US-ASEAN joint naval exercise sends a message to China

Post by Sertorio » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:22 am

neverfail wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:42 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:46 am

The message is that vassals will keep kowtowing to their master... The usual thing... :(
:o It means nothing of the sort Sertorio!

I know that you would not mind seeing Portugal, along with the rest of Europe, become a vassal of Russia by preference but that does not mean that others have such a high regard for the prospect of living in the shadow of the China-Russia rogues' alliance of convenience. :)
Neither I nor my fellowcountrymen have the souls of vassals, of Russia or of any other country. We see in Russia the natural partners - partners! - of Europe, and we - at least I - hope to build with Russia the basis for a more civilized and tolerant world. Something which is impossible to achieve with the US.

neverfail
Posts: 3974
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am
Location: Singapore

Re: US-ASEAN joint naval exercise sends a message to China

Post by neverfail » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:15 am

Sertorio wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:22 am


Neither I nor my fellowcountrymen have the souls of vassals, of Russia or of any other country. We see in Russia the natural partners - partners! - of Europe, and we - at least I - hope to build with Russia the basis for a more civilized and tolerant world. Something which is impossible to achieve with the US.
You are not listening, Sertorio!

neverfail
Posts: 3974
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am
Location: Singapore

Re: US-ASEAN joint naval exercise sends a message to China (that Beijing will laugh at).

Post by neverfail » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:37 am

cassowary wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:06 pm


It is America that is saving us from becoming vassals of an odious Socialist dictatorship that kills innocents and harvest their organs.
I hope it is true Cass but I have my doubts.

The PRC built a military base on an artificial island it created in the Scarborough shoals - just off the Philippines coast and an obvious geostrategic threat to that country . In his first year in office Trump made it clear to the Philippines president Rodrigo Duterte (dirty Duterte? :roll: ) that the US would not go to war with China over ownership of the Scarborough shoals.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-chin ... SKCN12K0AS

If the Philippines, an old ally of the United States, cannot rely on the US to stand by it over a matter so important to its geostrategic/defense security as that , even at risk to the US itself, then I question whether the rest of us can afford to do so either.

It is one thing for the US to organise multinational flotillas of warships ostensibly to assert the right to freedom of navigation in contested waters but that is just the sort of showmanship that would never impress the top policy men in Beijing. These would see through the ruse for the face-saving exercise that it is.

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 2815
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: US-ASEAN joint naval exercise sends a message to China

Post by Sertorio » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:40 am

neverfail wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:15 am
Sertorio wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:22 am


Neither I nor my fellowcountrymen have the souls of vassals, of Russia or of any other country. We see in Russia the natural partners - partners! - of Europe, and we - at least I - hope to build with Russia the basis for a more civilized and tolerant world. Something which is impossible to achieve with the US.
You are not listening, Sertorio!
I am listening and watching very carefully. And I see Russia as a country which only goes to war as a last resort, and with the minimum force necessary. Contrarily to the US for which war is the first resort, and which uses maximum force with the aim of completely destroying the enemy. As a result, Russia wins wars and the US loses them.

Post Reply