Re: China - US Trade War

Post by neverfail » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:20 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:15 pm
I suggest Cass - and everybody else - should read this:
We need our mojo back vis-à-vis China
By David Goldman

https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/09/opini ... vis-china/
In extensive contacts with Chinese officials, I haven’t met a single dedicated communist, except for the distinguished professor of Marxist-Leninist studies who asked me to help his child find a job on Wall Street. I do not believe in Gertz’s distinction between the good Chinese people and the wicked communist leaders. The emperor (the leader selected by the Mandarin caste that today masquerades as communists) is the capo di tutti capi, whose job is to limit the depredations of local power centers and maintain order. Most mainlanders will tell you blandly that, without an emperor they would kill each other, as they indeed have done after the fall of every Chinese dynasty.
Please take note, Cassowary.

This is why I have been trying to tell you: democracy in mainland China will never work.

neverfail

Re: latest on China - US Trade War

Post by neverfail » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:13 pm

Trump's trade war and Huawei ban 'woke up' Chinese entrepreneurs

US trade tariffs on China and the ban on controversial telco Huawei have sparked a wave of investment in research and development from Chinese businesses as they rush to innovate to protect future growth.

“Previously they thought they could just procure things from different parts of the world and I think the [US] situation and in particular the Huawei situation made them more aware of their own vulnerabilities,” Ms Liu said during a media roundtable at UBS’ Greater China Conference in Shanghai on Monday.

A study conducted by UBS that collected data from 500 Chinese companies found there was a new focus on directing funding to research and development and capital expenditure at the expense of travel, entertainment and marketing budgets. However, she warned the benefits for Chinese businesses would not be apparent for several years.

“I think it’s early days because it takes time. There’s nothing magical about innovation, it takes money and time. But we do see a shift in focus and a lot of [research and development] we are seeing are enhancements to manufacturing capability,” she said.

While Chinese businesses are looking at ways to offset the tariffs, the trade war is also dragging the US economy down, according to UBS chief US economist Seth Carpenter, who blamed the tensions as the main reason he was “somewhat pessimistic about the near-term outlook for the US economy”.

One of the reasons for his gloomy outlook is that the 'phase one' deal between China and the US to cut tariffs in half won’t be implemented until about February.

Mr Carpenter said it was “plain false” that goods affected by the tariffs could be imported from elsewhere, with data showing only a portion of intermediate goods could be sourced from elsewhere.

“If you have these goods that are necessary to produce things and you’re not importing them and you’re not producing them domestically, you’re kind of stuck,” he said.

For this reason, he said the phase one deal was “too little, too late” with the effect of the tariffs working through the economy at the moment.

“As we’ve moved through time, as the tariffs have hit the US economy and hit the global economy, we’re seeing slowdown,” he said.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/busine ... 53r3s.html

Not exactly the outcome that Trump anticipated, eh?

Milo

Post by Milo » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:11 pm

neverfail wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:13 pm
Trump's trade war and Huawei ban 'woke up' Chinese entrepreneurs

US trade tariffs on China and the ban on controversial telco Huawei have sparked a wave of investment in research and development from Chinese businesses as they rush to innovate to protect future growth.

“Previously they thought they could just procure things from different parts of the world and I think the [US] situation and in particular the Huawei situation made them more aware of their own vulnerabilities,” Ms Liu said during a media roundtable at UBS’ Greater China Conference in Shanghai on Monday.

A study conducted by UBS that collected data from 500 Chinese companies found there was a new focus on directing funding to research and development and capital expenditure at the expense of travel, entertainment and marketing budgets. However, she warned the benefits for Chinese businesses would not be apparent for several years.

“I think it’s early days because it takes time. There’s nothing magical about innovation, it takes money and time. But we do see a shift in focus and a lot of [research and development] we are seeing are enhancements to manufacturing capability,” she said.

While Chinese businesses are looking at ways to offset the tariffs, the trade war is also dragging the US economy down, according to UBS chief US economist Seth Carpenter, who blamed the tensions as the main reason he was “somewhat pessimistic about the near-term outlook for the US economy”.

One of the reasons for his gloomy outlook is that the 'phase one' deal between China and the US to cut tariffs in half won’t be implemented until about February.

Mr Carpenter said it was “plain false” that goods affected by the tariffs could be imported from elsewhere, with data showing only a portion of intermediate goods could be sourced from elsewhere.

“If you have these goods that are necessary to produce things and you’re not importing them and you’re not producing them domestically, you’re kind of stuck,” he said.

For this reason, he said the phase one deal was “too little, too late” with the effect of the tariffs working through the economy at the moment.

“As we’ve moved through time, as the tariffs have hit the US economy and hit the global economy, we’re seeing slowdown,” he said.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/busine ... 53r3s.html

Not exactly the outcome that Trump anticipated, eh?
Few loath Trump more than me but this trope of, 'the economy is going to tank at any moment because of Trump' is wearing a bit thin after over 2 years.

And the Chinese government will tell any lie that suits them.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:32 pm

Milo wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:11 pm
And the Chinese government will tell any lie that suits them.
:lol: Well, is that not true of Trump also?

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:36 pm

"China's economy suffered dramatic collapse"
https://scmp.com/economy/china-economy/ ... my-warning
"Warning to rest of world"

Kinda cancels out all the blather about who is winning and who is losing the "trade war . . ."

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:09 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:36 pm

Kinda cancels out all the blather about who is winning and who is losing the "trade war . . ."
You are right there. This Covid-19 and flow-on economic consequences drama has not run its full course yet. Nothing like it.

For the past two years I have been forecasting the advent of global recession coming about in 2020 based upon my perceptions of multiple weaknesses in the World economy. It seems that my prophecy is now in the process of coming true. I wish it were not as I get no satisfaction from the woes of many.

What I did not foresee was that a pandemic erupting from out of China would trigger it off. But even a prophet of doom like me is rarely 100% accurate. :D

Doc

Post by Doc » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:48 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:36 pm

Well whose fault is that?

:roll:
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:35 pm

Forget about apportioning blame doc. The while world is now on its way down.