From Hong Kong: "thanks for nothing,Trump!"

Discussion of current events
neverfail

Re: From Hong Kong: "thanks for nothing,Trump!"

Post by neverfail » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:33 pm

Doc wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:46 am
The CCP is trying to justify sending in the PLA to Hong Honk by claiming the US is behind the protests.
I don't deny that this is likely true Doc but believe that there is an auxiliary reason why Beijing is insinuating foul play by foreign powers - evasion of responsibility - the urge all too evident in the behavior of governments worldwide to save face in the wake of a policy blunder. It is at the behest of Xi's government that the Hong Kong administration attempted to legislate that extradition law that the Hong Kong residents so passionately objected to. So now it is attempting to scapegoat sinister foreign subversion for the unrest.

Doc

Post by Doc » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:48 pm

neverfail wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:33 pm
Doc wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:46 am
The CCP is trying to justify sending in the PLA to Hong Honk by claiming the US is behind the protests.
I don't deny that this is likely true Doc but believe that there is an auxiliary reason why Beijing is insinuating foul play by foreign powers - evasion of responsibility - the urge all too evident in the behavior of governments worldwide to save face in the wake of a policy blunder. It is at the behest of Xi's government that the Hong Kong administration attempted to legislate that extradition law that the Hong Kong residents so passionately objected to. So now it is attempting to scapegoat sinister foreign subversion for the unrest.
evasion of responsibility
That is what I said. They want some excuse to show the world besides a ham fisted power grab. The same excuse also helps them domestically
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:05 am

neverfail wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:51 pm
HONG KONG (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump has described protests in Hong Kong as “riots” that China will have to deal with itself, signaling a hands-off approach to the biggest political crisis gripping the former British colony in decades.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hong ... SKCN1US0OR
Even though realistically the US cannot directly intervene in Hong Kong (like back in those good old gunboat diplomacy days of yore) Is it not unrealistic to expect ANY US president to at least ABSTAIN from lending moral support to a regime like that of the PRC that seeks to extinguish the last outpost of respect for human rights within its domain?

"Riot" is the word the PRC government uses to misrepresent those mainly peaceful protests. The closest these have ever come to a riot has been when agent-provocateurs in the employ of the PRC government attacked them with violence.

What could Trump hope to gain for America anyway by sucking up to Beijing: as much as telling Xi "I don't care how hard you crack down on those damned protesters - I won't as much as utter a word of complaint"? Given that Trump is in the throws of a trade war with the PRC his position seems to be contradictory.
Now now neverfail. If Trump had used words supportive of the HK demonstrators, it could encourage them to escalate the violence. Then when the crackdown comes, and as you say the US can’t do anything to prevent it, you would be the first to condemn Trump for giving the HK people false hopes.
The Imp :D

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:30 am

cassowary wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:05 am

Now now neverfail. If Trump had used words supportive of the HK demonstrators, it could encourage them to escalate the violence. Then when the crackdown comes, and as you say the US can’t do anything to prevent it, you would be the first to condemn Trump for giving the HK people false hopes.
:)
Being a US president is not easy, is it Cass?

Doc

Post by Doc » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:31 pm

neverfail wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:30 am
cassowary wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:05 am

:)
Being a US president is not easy, is it Cass?
I suspect the thing holding back the CCP is the threat of removing Hong Kong's status as a special trade and financial center/zone under US law. I imagine something similar holds for the EU as well. If that were to happen Hong Kong would be worth a lot less, and it may start a real stampede of corporations out of the Main Land.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Doc

Post by Doc » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:40 pm

It seems the protesters in Hong Kong never got the message.