From Hong Kong: "thanks for nothing,Trump!"

Discussion of current events
neverfail

From Hong Kong: "thanks for nothing,Trump!"

Post by neverfail » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:51 pm

HONG KONG (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump has described protests in Hong Kong as “riots” that China will have to deal with itself, signaling a hands-off approach to the biggest political crisis gripping the former British colony in decades.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hong ... SKCN1US0OR
Even though realistically the US cannot directly intervene in Hong Kong (like back in those good old gunboat diplomacy days of yore) Is it not unrealistic to expect ANY US president to at least ABSTAIN from lending moral support to a regime like that of the PRC that seeks to extinguish the last outpost of respect for human rights within its domain?

"Riot" is the word the PRC government uses to misrepresent those mainly peaceful protests. The closest these have ever come to a riot has been when agent-provocateurs in the employ of the PRC government attacked them with violence.

What could Trump hope to gain for America anyway by sucking up to Beijing: as much as telling Xi "I don't care how hard you crack down on those damned protesters - I won't as much as utter a word of complaint"? Given that Trump is in the throws of a trade war with the PRC his position seems to be contradictory.

Jim the Moron

Re: From Hong Kong: "thanks for nothing,Trump!"

Post by Jim the Moron » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:11 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:51 pm
HONG KONG (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump has described protests in Hong Kong as “riots” that China will have to deal with itself, signaling a hands-off approach to the biggest political crisis gripping the former British colony in decades.

Even though realistically the US cannot directly intervene in Hong Kong (like back in those good old gunboat diplomacy days of yore) Is it not unrealistic to expect ANY US president to at least ABSTAIN from lending moral support to a regime like that of the PRC that seeks to extinguish the last outpost of respect for human rights within its domain?

"Riot" is the word the PRC government uses to misrepresent those mainly peaceful protests. The closest these have ever come to a riot has been when agent-provocateurs in the employ of the PRC government attacked them with violence.

What could Trump hope to gain for America anyway by sucking up to Beijing: as much as telling Xi "I don't care how hard you crack down on those damned protesters - I won't as much as utter a word of complaint"? Given that Trump is in the throws of a trade war with the PRC his position seems to be contradictory.
No problem for Aussies. They are accustomed to "sucking up to Beijing."

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:11 pm

Jim the Moron wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:11 pm
neverfail wrote:

No problem for Aussies. They are accustomed to "sucking up to Beijing."
Regardless, don't you believe that if Trump had to comment he should have demonstrated that he cares that the civil rights of Hong Kong residents should be respected by Beijing? Since he has embroiled the US in a trade war with the PRC, with which his country has a record of chronic trade defects then as I see it Trump has nothing to lose by speaking up on behalf of HK. To crush the hopes of the protesters like that when he need not have done so is reprehensible .

armchair_pundit

Post by armchair_pundit » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:40 am

Why is Hong Kong the US's responsibility? Especially now?

Is it not a former UK colony? Why do they not look to Britain (and the Commonwealth, say AUS) for support and help in their quest for liberty?

Milo

Post by Milo » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:32 pm

armchair_pundit wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:40 am

Is it not a former UK colony? Why do they not look to Britain (and the Commonwealth, say AUS) for support and help in their quest for liberty?
They should look away from the US?

neverfail

Re: the issue is not US responsibility but Trump behaving IRRESPONSIBLY AP.

Post by neverfail » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:01 pm

armchair_pundit wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:40 am

I acknowledged in my opening post that Hong Kong is not directly a US responsibility. My complaint is that Trump should be more cautious about what comes out of that flapping mouth of his. His "riots" remark is like an incitement to the PRC government to treat HK residents with the sort of contempt that back in 1989 a previous PRC government showed protest demonstrating Beijing residents.

The USA has more clout in dealing with Beijing than Britain and the Commonwealth ever could hope to muster

Doc

Post by Doc » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:46 am

neverfail wrote:

The CCP is trying to justify sending in the PLA to Hong Honk by claiming the US is behind the protests. Trump is giving them no excuse to give the world as to why it broke the one nation two systems agreement. Which they are going to do anyway.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:01 am

Doc wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:46 am

The CCP is trying to justify sending in the PLA to Hong Honk by claiming the US is behind the protests. Trump is giving them no excuse to give the world as to why it broke the one nation two systems agreement. Which they are going to do anyway.
How would Trump, and the US, react to an attempt by some of the Native Americans to separate and make independent some of the Indian reservations?... ;)

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:24 am

Sertorio wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:01 am
Doc wrote:

How would Trump, and the US, react to an attempt by some of the Native Americans to separate and make independent some of the Indian reservations?... ;)
Trump? He can't be bothered. And yes, there have been some separatist movements here and there among Native Americans. But since you bring up the subject . . .

I've used this imagery before. Picture, if you will, astride war horses, the ghostly figures of Tecumseh, Cochise, Red Cloud, and Crazy Horse, on a bluff overlooking the Rio Grande. They beckon towards the ethnic Native Americans seeking to enter the USA, hopefully to reclaim ancestral rights.

This isn't to say that immigrants must not undergo immigration rules. And it certainly doesn't imply that the US should open itself to hoards of terrorist-breeding Muslims.

Doc

Post by Doc » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:20 am

Sertorio wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:01 am
Doc wrote:

They have done so in the past and currently there is a movement to give native American tribes more autonomy ***PEACEFULLY***

AS far as Hong Kong goes the US is not going to go to war to defend it against the CCP so better not to push the CCP into armed aggression against unarmed protesters.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros