A black American lament.

Discussion of current events
neverfail
Posts: 4329
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am
Location: Singapore

A black American lament.

Post by neverfail » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:09 pm

American Wealth Is Broken

My family is a success story. We’re also evidence of the long odds African Americans face on the path to success.


"It would take two centuries for black wealth to catch up to white wealth—if white wealth stopped growing".

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/arch ... es/593719/

neverfail
Posts: 4329
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am
Location: Singapore

Re: A black American lament.

Post by neverfail » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:18 am

What, no takers?

Is this topic too toxic to handle?

User avatar
Milo
Posts: 2199
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: A black American lament.

Post by Milo » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:39 am

My father lives in Massachusetts, a relatively progressive state but even there one can see communities segregated by race.

I recently read about American blacks being systematically discriminated against on land title, so that many of them lost huge real property assets.

The problems is, what do you do about it? If people insist on being racist, the only full cure is to wait for them to die. As a lawyer, I know this better than most!

Furthermore, people live much linger now; in times past many bigoted and old fashioned ideas would be gone, today people live almost twice as long as they did 100 years ago.

And certain media and political parties are now completely entrenched in catering to old fogies.
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... e-gop.html

America has made real progress in its race relations and it will make much more as time passes but don't expect anything other than the passage of time, a lot of time, to effect it.

neverfail
Posts: 4329
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am
Location: Singapore

Re: A black American lament.

Post by neverfail » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:42 am

Milo wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:39 am
My father lives in Massachusetts, a relatively progressive state but even there one can see communities segregated by race.

I recently read about American blacks being systematically discriminated against on land title, so that many of them lost huge real property assets.

The problems is, what do you do about it? If people insist on being racist, the only full cure is to wait for them to die. As a lawyer, I know this better than most!

Furthermore, people live much linger now; in times past many bigoted and old fashioned ideas would be gone, today people live almost twice as long as they did 100 years ago.

And certain media and political parties are now completely entrenched in catering to old fogies.
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... e-gop.html

America has made real progress in its race relations and it will make much more as time passes but don't expect anything other than the passage of time, a lot of time, to effect it.
Thank you for pointing all of this out Milo. I knew that the USA, like all of the advanced, developed countries, has an ageing population but it had not occurred to me either that Fox News were pandering specifically to this age group or that the Republican Party voter support base might be comprised disproportionately of this generation of oldies.

It makes sense to me. An entire generation of Americans in denial over their own mortality attempting to evade having to face up to it by clinging to the mentality of a now distant youth.

One of these days if they live that long they are bound to get a rude shock when they discover that the World has changed.

User avatar
Doc
Posts: 3567
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Cradle To Grave

Re: A black American lament.

Post by Doc » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:06 pm

neverfail wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:42 am
Milo wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:39 am
My father lives in Massachusetts, a relatively progressive state but even there one can see communities segregated by race.

I recently read about American blacks being systematically discriminated against on land title, so that many of them lost huge real property assets.

The problems is, what do you do about it? If people insist on being racist, the only full cure is to wait for them to die. As a lawyer, I know this better than most!

Furthermore, people live much linger now; in times past many bigoted and old fashioned ideas would be gone, today people live almost twice as long as they did 100 years ago.

And certain media and political parties are now completely entrenched in catering to old fogies.
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... e-gop.html

America has made real progress in its race relations and it will make much more as time passes but don't expect anything other than the passage of time, a lot of time, to effect it.
Thank you for pointing all of this out Milo. I knew that the USA, like all of the advanced, developed countries, has an ageing population but it had not occurred to me either that Fox News were pandering specifically to this age group or that the Republican Party voter support base might be comprised disproportionately of this generation of oldies.

It makes sense to me. An entire generation of Americans in denial over their own mortality attempting to evade having to face up to it by clinging to the mentality of a now distant youth.

One of these days if they live that long they are bound to get a rude shock when they discover that the World has changed.

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

User avatar
Milo
Posts: 2199
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: A black American lament.

Post by Milo » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:16 pm

Doc wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:06 pm
neverfail wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:42 am
Milo wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:39 am
My father lives in Massachusetts, a relatively progressive state but even there one can see communities segregated by race.

I recently read about American blacks being systematically discriminated against on land title, so that many of them lost huge real property assets.

The problems is, what do you do about it? If people insist on being racist, the only full cure is to wait for them to die. As a lawyer, I know this better than most!

Furthermore, people live much linger now; in times past many bigoted and old fashioned ideas would be gone, today people live almost twice as long as they did 100 years ago.

And certain media and political parties are now completely entrenched in catering to old fogies.
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... e-gop.html

America has made real progress in its race relations and it will make much more as time passes but don't expect anything other than the passage of time, a lot of time, to effect it.
Thank you for pointing all of this out Milo. I knew that the USA, like all of the advanced, developed countries, has an ageing population but it had not occurred to me either that Fox News were pandering specifically to this age group or that the Republican Party voter support base might be comprised disproportionately of this generation of oldies.

It makes sense to me. An entire generation of Americans in denial over their own mortality attempting to evade having to face up to it by clinging to the mentality of a now distant youth.

One of these days if they live that long they are bound to get a rude shock when they discover that the World has changed.

I'm 54, how old are you Doc?

User avatar
Doc
Posts: 3567
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Cradle To Grave

Re: A black American lament.

Post by Doc » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:24 pm

Milo wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:16 pm
Doc wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:06 pm
neverfail wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:42 am
Milo wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:39 am
My father lives in Massachusetts, a relatively progressive state but even there one can see communities segregated by race.

I recently read about American blacks being systematically discriminated against on land title, so that many of them lost huge real property assets.

The problems is, what do you do about it? If people insist on being racist, the only full cure is to wait for them to die. As a lawyer, I know this better than most!

Furthermore, people live much linger now; in times past many bigoted and old fashioned ideas would be gone, today people live almost twice as long as they did 100 years ago.

And certain media and political parties are now completely entrenched in catering to old fogies.
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... e-gop.html

America has made real progress in its race relations and it will make much more as time passes but don't expect anything other than the passage of time, a lot of time, to effect it.
Thank you for pointing all of this out Milo. I knew that the USA, like all of the advanced, developed countries, has an ageing population but it had not occurred to me either that Fox News were pandering specifically to this age group or that the Republican Party voter support base might be comprised disproportionately of this generation of oldies.

It makes sense to me. An entire generation of Americans in denial over their own mortality attempting to evade having to face up to it by clinging to the mentality of a now distant youth.

One of these days if they live that long they are bound to get a rude shock when they discover that the World has changed.

I'm 54, how old are you Doc?
I turned 17 on my birthday -- several years ago :D I am about the same age as you Milo
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail
Posts: 4329
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am
Location: Singapore

Re: A black American lament.

Post by neverfail » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:04 pm

Doc wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:06 pm
neverfail wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:42 am
Milo wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:39 am
My father lives in Massachusetts, a relatively progressive state but even there one can see communities segregated by race.

I recently read about American blacks being systematically discriminated against on land title, so that many of them lost huge real property assets.

The problems is, what do you do about it? If people insist on being racist, the only full cure is to wait for them to die. As a lawyer, I know this better than most!

Furthermore, people live much linger now; in times past many bigoted and old fashioned ideas would be gone, today people live almost twice as long as they did 100 years ago.

And certain media and political parties are now completely entrenched in catering to old fogies.
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... e-gop.html

America has made real progress in its race relations and it will make much more as time passes but don't expect anything other than the passage of time, a lot of time, to effect it.
Thank you for pointing all of this out Milo. I knew that the USA, like all of the advanced, developed countries, has an ageing population but it had not occurred to me either that Fox News were pandering specifically to this age group or that the Republican Party voter support base might be comprised disproportionately of this generation of oldies.

It makes sense to me. An entire generation of Americans in denial over their own mortality attempting to evade having to face up to it by clinging to the mentality of a now distant youth.

One of these days if they live that long they are bound to get a rude shock when they discover that the World has changed.

Now would you please explain to me Doc what this tweet, apparently from a Caucasian who has done it tough, has to do with Milo's point that the US republican Party has an ageing supporter base?

While we are on the point: I sometimes wonder about the current age profile of your US black minority. Going by the high pro-rata of aborted fetuses I would be surprised if the result were not likewise an ageing and shrinking black population as well.

Now, who does that leave?

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 3415
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: A black American lament.

Post by cassowary » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:14 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:09 pm
American Wealth Is Broken

My family is a success story. We’re also evidence of the long odds African Americans face on the path to success.


"It would take two centuries for black wealth to catch up to white wealth—if white wealth stopped growing".

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/arch ... es/593719/
Neverfail,

The writer has a chip on her shoulder, just like my black American friend.

It is not their fault that the black community lags behind. It is the white man's fault. That is the basic theme of her essay. A side theme is that those with wealth did not build it on their own. Others helped them or laws that favored the white community helped them. So Socialist policies are needed such as a wealth tax or reparations (wealth transfer from whites to blacks).

I don't agree.

I think that the single most important factor causing an imbalance in wealth and income is that about 3 quarters of black babies are born to single moms.
The National Center for Health Statistics said that in 2015, 77.3 percent of non-immigrant black births were illegitimate. The national non-immigrant average is 42 percent, and it was 30 percent for whites.
Single parent families is a one way ticket to poverty.
Children who grow up with only one of their biological parents (nearly always the mother) are disadvantaged across a broad array of outcomes. As shown in figure 1, they are twice as likely to drop out of high school, 2.5 times as likely to become teen mothers, and 1.4 times as likely to be idle -- out of school and out of work -- as children who grow up with both parents. Children in one-parent families also have lower grade point averages, lower college aspirations, and poorer attendance records. As adults, they have higher rates of divorce. These patterns persist even after adjusting for differences in race, parents' education, number of siblings, and residential location.
Single parenthood is something they have to do for themselves. You can't blame it on the white man.

... to be continued.
The Imp :D

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 3415
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: A black American lament.

Post by cassowary » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:03 pm

... continued

A segment of the black population is resentful to past injustices and believe their current poverty is result of the white man. But black people were not the only ones being discriminated in America. The Chinese were discriminated when they first came in the 19th century to build the rail roads. They got over that and are today a prosperous community in America. So were the Jews and Irish when they first came, lest you think that only non-whites were discriminated.

Image

I think the continued failure of the black community after decades of affirmative action is humiliating to the community. So they cannot admit that it is their own fault. Always blaming whitey and not acknowledging their own failures will lead to wrong diagnoses and policy prescriptions.

Growing number of black kids born out of wedlock is also problem in South Africa where half of black kids have absentee fathers.
Hence we need to take stock of the fact growing without a father is more common within black communities than any other racial group in South Africa [population ratio accounted for]. According to a study conducted by Human Sciences Research Council (HSRC) and the South African Race Relations Institute (SARRI), "you are far more likely to be raised in a single-parent household if you are both black and poor.
The symptoms caused by the absence manifests differently amongst the respective genders, but regardless, most young people are likely to react destructively in situations where they don't have a positive male role model to learn from. Fatherlessness serves as the start to a snowball effect that results in a generation of young adults who are 'social misfits'. Research has found that "boys growing up in absent father households are more likely to display hyper masculine behaviour, including different forms of aggression", getting involved in unhealthy relationships, crime and addiction.
This article was written by a black woman just like Neverfail's article. But she is from South Africa where black people form a majority. So she can't claim continued discrimination as a cause of the problems the black community faces. This gives a more honest approach and she recognizes that a family with absentee fathers is unhealthy for the community. This honest appraisal must sure lead to a more correct policy prescription.
The Imp :D

Post Reply