The hunger game. Why thermonuclear weapons are now superseded.

Discussion of current events
neverfail

The hunger game. Why thermonuclear weapons are now superseded.

Post by neverfail » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:50 am

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nation ... 525g6.html

No need to dump a thermonuclear warhead on a city in an enemy state and longer. Just hack into his computers and cause chaos in his delivery systems for food, energy and transport services. The aggrieved mob will do the rest.

Doc

Re: The hunger game. Why thermonuclear weapons are now superseded.

Post by Doc » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:30 pm

neverfail wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:50 am

No need to dump a thermonuclear warhead on a city in an enemy state and longer. Just hack into his computers and cause chaos in his delivery systems for food, energy and transport services. The aggrieved mob will do the rest.
Nice find. The threat is very real. Cut off the food supply for NYC for 2 days and massive riots will break out.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Milo

Post by Milo » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:58 pm

My view is that cyberwar is likely to be less harmful than conventional war.

OTOH.

Doc

Post by Doc » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:14 pm

Milo wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:58 pm
My view is that cyberwar is likely to be less harmful than conventional war.

OTOH.

Real life test

ht

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:37 pm

Doc wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:30 pm
neverfail wrote:

Nice find. The threat is very real. Cut off the food supply for NYC for 2 days and massive riots will break out.
Very likely too. It would happen in cities around the world wherever this sort of warfare is waged.
........................................................................................................................

Doc, I hope that I do not bore you by letting the historian in me loose again - but it reminds me so much of what happened to Rome when the Goths laid siege to that city in 410AD. They could not break into the city at first because it was surrounded by a high protective wall that had been built 200 years earlier but was still in good repair. The Goths also lacked siegecraft. So the first thing they did was to break the aqueduct that delivered water to the city and Alaric, their leader, then sent a detachment of warriors down to Rome's seaport of Ostia; where they seized two berthed ships laden with grain that had arrived from north Africa. The grain was meant to feed Rome's half million plebs. So Rome now lacked the food to feed its citizens over the siege while the Goths now had the supply to make the siege last indefinitely. Within two days as thirst and hunger began to bite the plebs broke into uncontrolled rioting. Rome had around 50,000 domestic slaves and the slaves soon joined the plebs in the general mayhem.

Since the last emperor of Rome had moved years earlier to Ravenna on Italy's Adriatic coast along with his praetorian guard, there was no equivalent to a modern police riot squad to put down the disturbance. In the end a noblewomen, despairing of how her fellow Romans were destroying their own city from within was reputed to have unbarred one of the city gates to let the Goths in on the supposition that having the Goths as rulers could not possibly be any worse than this.

Have we in our times advanced any further than ancient Rome?

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:06 am

neverfail wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:37 pm
Doc wrote:
neverfail wrote:

Very likely too. It would happen in cities around the world wherever this sort of warfare is waged.
........................................................................................................................

Doc, I hope that I do not bore you by letting the historian in me loose again - but it reminds me so much of what happened to Rome when the Goths laid siege to that city in 410AD. They could not break into the city at first because it was surrounded by a high protective wall that had been built 200 years earlier but was still in good repair. The Goths also lacked siegecraft. So the first thing they did was to break the aqueduct that delivered water to the city and Alaric, their leader, then sent a detachment of warriors down to Rome's seaport of Ostia; where they seized two berthed ships laden with grain that had arrived from north Africa. The grain was meant to feed Rome's half million plebs. So Rome now lacked the food to feed its citizens over the siege while the Goths now had the supply to make the siege last indefinitely. Within two days as thirst and hunger began to bite the plebs broke into uncontrolled rioting. Rome had around 50,000 domestic slaves and the slaves soon joined the plebs in the general mayhem.

Since the last emperor of Rome had moved years earlier to Ravenna on Italy's Adriatic coast along with his praetorian guard, there was no equivalent to a modern police riot squad to put down the disturbance. In the end a noblewomen, despairing of how her fellow Romans were destroying their own city from within was reputed to have unbarred one of the city gates to let the Goths in on the supposition that having the Goths as rulers could not possibly be any worse than this.

Maybe we should realize that the time of empires is over. People cannot be brought together by brute force, something the US has not yet learned. There are many different cultures and life styles in the world. Only tolerance of the difference and respect for different ways can entice people to live together and cooperate. And that is impossible to achieve as long as there are people - whether German or American - who think thay are "exceptional" and are entitled to rule the world. Let's hope there are enough people in the US who will come to understand this, before the world blows apart.

Doc

Post by Doc » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:19 am

Sertorio wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:06 am
neverfail wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:37 pm
Doc wrote:
neverfail wrote:

Maybe we should realize that the time of empires is over. People cannot be brought together by brute force, something the US has not yet learned. There are many different cultures and life styles in the world. Only tolerance of the difference and respect for different ways can entice people to live together and cooperate. And that is impossible to achieve as long as there are people - whether German or American - who think thay are "exceptional" and are entitled to rule the world. Let's hope there are enough people in the US who will come to understand this, before the world blows apart.
So you are saying that you would give up on civilization ?