Make Hong Kong Great Again

Discussion of current events
Sertorio

Re: Make Hong Kong Great Again

Post by Sertorio » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:15 pm

Milo wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:11 am
Hong Kong protests cripple airport for second day
Flight check-in has been suspended at Hong Kong International Airport for a second consecutive day because of anti-government protests.
I saw a protestor the other day saying (in a nutshell) that the protestors typically feel that they will be liquidated by the CCP as long the CCP has sway in HK, so they are motivated to do whatever it takes to secure responsible government.

The 'West' has played it smart by keeping this at arm's length, it makes the CCP's job of crushing this movement much less justifiable.

This movement has large numbers, which undoubtedly reflect much more tacit support.

The movement is playing it smart by targeting an economic chokepoint with their protests.

This airport strategy could move these protests into a position of great influence over HK.
If I were the CCP boss, I would allow the democratic experiment to take place in Hong Kong, as long as Hong Kong would toe the Chinese line on defense and foreign affairs. Then I would sit back and see if the Chinese were capable of making democracy work. The chances are that it wouldn't work too well, which might discourage similar experiments elsewhere in China... Better than using force...

Milo

Post by Milo » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:42 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:15 pm
Milo wrote:
Flight check-in has been suspended at Hong Kong International Airport for a second consecutive day because of anti-government protests.
I saw a protestor the other day saying (in a nutshell) that the protestors typically feel that they will be liquidated by the CCP as long the CCP has sway in HK, so they are motivated to do whatever it takes to secure responsible government.

The 'West' has played it smart by keeping this at arm's length, it makes the CCP's job of crushing this movement much less justifiable.

This movement has large numbers, which undoubtedly reflect much more tacit support.

The movement is playing it smart by targeting an economic chokepoint with their protests.

This airport strategy could move these protests into a position of great influence over HK.
If I were the CCP boss, I would allow the democratic experiment to take place in Hong Kong, as long as Hong Kong would toe the Chinese line on defense and foreign affairs. Then I would sit back and see if the Chinese were capable of making democracy work. The chances are that it wouldn't work too well, which might discourage similar experiments elsewhere in China... Better than using force...
I agree with your strategy but not your prediction.

So far it appears that the CCP does not agree with either.

Doc

Post by Doc » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:23 pm

Milo wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:42 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:15 pm
Milo wrote:

I agree with your strategy but not your prediction.

So far it appears that the CCP does not agree with either.
Trump Tweeted this morning that the PLA was moving towards Hong Kong in Strength.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Doc

Post by Doc » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:40 pm

Desperation sets in in Hong Kong. People are panicking to get out. Other may fight the PLA to the death.

https://www.scmp.com/comment/opinion/ar ... crisis-pla
China must pick the least bad option to resolve Hong Kong crisis. A PLA crackdown is not it

Hongkongers would almost certainly treat Chinese government forces as invaders, and resistance would be fierce and casualties unavoidable
An exodus of expats and elites would follow, and the Hong Kong economy – still a bridge between China the rest of the world – would almost immediately collapse
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Doc

Post by Doc » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:35 pm

"Hitting the road" in Hong Kong