What happened to Australia's climate change election?

Discussion of current events
Sertorio

Re: Something does not add up.

Post by Sertorio » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:16 am

cassowary wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:47 am

This article seems to be saying that green energy is still expensive relative to natural gas.

https://www.americanthinker.com/article ... evada.html.

So I don’t understand why the prospects for green energy is doing well in Australia, according to Neverfail.
The cost of fossil fuels is not just how much they cost in the market, but also their cost in terms of the harm they cause to the environment. But you never seem to consider that cost. Are you indeifferent to it, or aren't you aware of its existence?

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:49 am

Sertorio wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:16 am
cassowary wrote:

This article seems to be saying that green energy is still expensive relative to natural gas.

So I don’t understand why the prospects for green energy is doing well in Australia, according to Neverfail.
The cost of fossil fuels is not just how much they cost in the market, but also their cost in terms of the harm they cause to the environment. But you never seem to consider that cost. Are you indeifferent to it, or aren't you aware of its existence?
I am not sure if carbon dioxide is as harmful as they say. So the environmental cost of fossil fuels may be slight or non existent for now. According to Richard Tol of Essex University, global warming is good for the majority till 2080.

But this question is besides the point. My question to neverfail is why people are investing in solar and wind when the link I posted is saying green energy is still more expensive. Investors are not interested in environmental costs, sad to say.
The Imp :D

Doc

Post by Doc » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:15 am

cassowary wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:49 am
Sertorio wrote:
cassowary wrote:

I am not sure if carbon dioxide is as harmful as they say. So the environmental cost of fossil fuels may be slight or non existent for now. According to Richard Tol of Essex University, global warming is good for the majority till 2080.

But this question is besides the point. My question to neverfail is why people are investing in solar and wind when the link I posted is saying green energy is still more expensive. Investors are not interested in environmental costs, sad to say.
Today CO2 is around 400 parts per million. 50 million years ago CO2 was 2500 to 3500 parts per million When it dropped to 1500 ppm the latest series of ice ages started.

It seems Ferns were killing the planet

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:24 am

cassowary wrote:
Investors are not interested in environmental costs, sad to say.
But I am, and all of us should be. Investors may be willing to destroy the environment if they can profit from it, but I'm not an investor.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:36 pm

Doc wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:15 am
cassowary wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
cassowary wrote:

Today CO2 is around 400 parts per million. 50 million years ago CO2 was 2500 to 3500 parts per million When it dropped to 1500 ppm the latest series of ice ages started.

Speculative stuff, doc!

Milo

Post by Milo » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:39 pm

neverfail wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:36 pm
Doc wrote:
cassowary wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
cassowary wrote:

Speculative stuff, doc!
Well Doc agrees that CO2 causes climate change!

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:53 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:24 am
cassowary wrote:
Investors are not interested in environmental costs, sad to say.
But I am, and all of us should be. Investors may be willing to destroy the environment if they can profit from it, but I'm not an investor.
Don't vilify investors Sertorio. Those who do so get away with it because there are men in power who are sympathetic to their interests.

Recently, against the odds and the public opinion polls forecasts, we recently had a government (arguably a rump government) re-elected supportive of a project that not only are environmentalists opposed to but in economic terms also looks like a dog .

Why so? Because in one particular component state (we are a federation, not a unitary state do not forget) they could think only in terms of the jobs to be created and the potential business generated for existing businesses in a somewhat depressed region.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmichael_coal_mine

If you imagine that it is only the greedy capitalists who benefit from such investments please think again. A lot of small fry hope to pick up something along the way too.

Global warming, environmental degradation may or may not be happening but meantime you and I still have to earn a living. Simple as that!

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:55 pm

Milo wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:39 pm
neverfail wrote:

Speculative stuff, doc!
Well Doc agrees that CO2 causes climate change!
The commentator in the video clip came across to me as being too glib by half Milo. That is why I have my suspicions about someone possibly jumping on the bandwagon.

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:39 am

neverfail wrote:
Doc wrote:
cassowary wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
cassowary wrote:

Speculative stuff, doc!
Not so much as you might think NF.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:41 am

Doc wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:39 am
neverfail wrote:
Doc wrote:
cassowary wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
cassowary wrote:

Speculative stuff, doc!
Not so much as you might think NF.
Yes, it was mentioned in the book, "lucky planet".

There are many natural causes of climate change

1)vegetation such as the azola example above.
2)distance of earth to sun varies
3)heat generated by sun varies
4)continental subduction
5)volcanic activity

It is difficult the say if human activity overwhelms natural causes of climate change.
The Imp :D