cassowary wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:59 pm
Doc wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:35 am
cassowary wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:59 am
neverfail wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:56 am
So what? Russia is a terrestrial, not a maritime, power that does not need a navy to defend itself anyhow. Just an army and an air force.
Then why are they in Syria? I thought they wanted the Syrian port so that they can claim to be a Mediterranean power. Why have a port when you don't have ships for a blue water navy?

It seems to me that Putin does not know what he is doing. What a clown. He spent billions in Syria for what? It would have been better if he used that money to build up his navy. From now on, i will call him, PutPut.
Syria is an advertisement to sell Russian arms.
What did you say? So far, they are showing how lousy Russian arms are.
Well, it cant be said that they were entirely useless. They gave the Israeli Air Force a nice bit of precision bombing practice.
Hahaha
As predicted this boosts the position of Israeli technology and harms Russian Arms sales.
I'd rather be diving or flying alas for now I am on terra firma.

cassowary

Re: The Russian Navy is in a sorry state

Post by cassowary » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:21 am

dagbay wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:27 am
cassowary wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:55 am
neverfail wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:19 pm
cassowary wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:59 pm
Doc wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:35 am
cassowary wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:59 am

Then why are they in Syria? I thought they wanted the Syrian port so that they can claim to be a Mediterranean power. Why have a port when you don't have ships for a blue water navy?

It seems to me that Putin does not know what he is doing. What a clown. He spent billions in Syria for what? It would have been better if he used that money to build up his navy. From now on, i will call him, PutPut.
Syria is an advertisement to sell Russian arms.
What did you say? So far, they are showing how lousy Russian arms are.
Well, it cant be said that they were entirely useless. They gave the Israeli Air Force a nice bit of precision bombing practice.
Hahaha
As predicted this boosts the position of Israeli technology and harms Russian Arms sales.
You should thank Czar PutPut for that.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:20 pm

cassowary wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:01 pm
Milo wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:08 pm
Russia invented the Potemkin village and they still do a lot of business that way.

They can do that if they want but it's the fools that fall for it who are the real problem.
Fools like you-know-who here in this forum? :D
You may be interested in seeing what Russia's trade balance is:

It's convenient to think that Russia's economy is falling apart, all due to US sanctions. Unfortunately fo the likes of you, it isn't true...

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:42 am

Sertorio wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:20 pm

It's convenient to think that Russia's economy is falling apart, all due to US sanctions. Unfortunately fo the likes of you, it isn't true...
You're the only one here who claims that targeted sanctions again high-level policymakers decimates national economies. You bang on and on about how that's the reason Venezuela's economy has collapsed. You don't get to claim one thing in one situation and the opposite in another situation.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:47 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:42 am
Sertorio wrote:

You're the only one here who claims that targeted sanctions again high-level policymakers decimates national economies. You bang on and on about how that's the reason Venezuela's economy has collapsed. You don't get to claim one thing in one situation and the opposite in another situation.
Russia is not Venezuela, and what may work with a less developed country will not work with a developed one. But the US doesn't seem to see the difference...

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:25 am

Sertorio wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:47 am
SteveFoerster wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:42 am
Sertorio wrote:

Russia is not Venezuela, and what may work with a less developed country will not work with a developed one. But the US doesn't seem to see the difference...
Having a positive current account is all well and good: but I wonder what Russia's capital account looks like?

Probably very much in deficit. I hear that Russia's oligarchs and gangster chieftains, who own or otherwise control the country's wealth, have been getting their money out of Russia for years to the safety of tax havens like Cyprus as fast as they can. So many of them have settled there they have even formed their own political party.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... sian-money

Welcome to Limassolgrad: the city getting rich on Russian money

An alternative title could have been "Cyprus saved from penury by a flood of dirty money from abroad."

( :idea: Well, I suppose that winter is easier to live with in Cyprus than in Russia.)

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:37 am

neverfail wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:25 am

Having a positive current account is all well and good: but I wonder what Russia's capital account looks like?

Probably very much in deficit. I hear that Russia's oligarchs and gangster chieftains, who own or otherwise control the country's wealth, have been getting their money out of Russia for years to the safety of tax havens like Cyprus as fast as they can. So many of them have settled there they have even formed their own political party.
Even if the net capital account was negative, that wouldn't necessarily be a meaningful indicator. What matters is the net current and capital account:

Russia Net Current and Capital Account in 2016 - 2018

https://tradingeconomics.com/russia/capital-flows

https://www.ceicdata.com/en/russia/bala ... al-account