neverfail wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:34 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:37 am
neverfail wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:05 am
SteveFoerster wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:26 am

Agreed, hence the importance of a market economy....
What does having a market economy have to do with a bunch of Emirate (Muslim) princes amicably hosting a visit by the leader of the World's largest Christian denomination?
It makes more sense when you don't clip out the comment to which I'm responding.
Well, you know what came before anyway; so now what about an answer?
The answer is that I was referring to "Not divine intervention. Simply a growing secularism which wealth has made possible. In a truly secular society, Islam is no more dangerous than, say, evangelical Christianity..."
What lends you the funny idea that the UAR are any more "secular'" than Saudi Arabia next door?

This is still a country where apostasy for Muslims still invites the death penalty and the Imans, government appointees all, even have their sermons in the mosques scrutinised and censored by government officials before they can preach them.

The Pope's mass was for the many Catholic guest workers (many of them Filipinos) resident in the Gulf states. The fact that some thousands of Muslims may have attended too I consider to be highly significant.

As the article explains; it happened because the UAE rulers are looking for allies abroad.

https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/02/artic ... aims-west/

SteveFoerster

Re: Missionary Pope Francis visits the Gulf Emirates

Post by SteveFoerster » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:12 pm

neverfail wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:45 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:52 pm
neverfail wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:34 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:37 am
neverfail wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:05 am
SteveFoerster wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:26 am

Agreed, hence the importance of a market economy....
What does having a market economy have to do with a bunch of Emirate (Muslim) princes amicably hosting a visit by the leader of the World's largest Christian denomination?
It makes more sense when you don't clip out the comment to which I'm responding.
Well, you know what came before anyway; so now what about an answer?
The answer is that I was referring to "Not divine intervention. Simply a growing secularism which wealth has made possible. In a truly secular society, Islam is no more dangerous than, say, evangelical Christianity..."
What lends you the funny idea that the UAR are any more "secular'" than Saudi Arabia next door?
Again, I was responding to Sertorio's comment. Ask him.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

neverfail

Re: Missionary Pope Francis visits the Gulf Emirates

Post by neverfail » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:45 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:12 pm
neverfail wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:45 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:12 pm
Again, I was responding to Sertorio's comment. Ask him.
But you AGREED with Sertorio on that point, Steve . So you now own the concept just as much as he.

Now please; don't indulge in tiresome hair splitting for the sake of saving face. That unbecoming! :)