You think America is really so so bad? This will help you think again

Discussion of current events
Alexis

You think America is really so so bad? This will help you think again

Post by Alexis » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:59 pm

Here is the speech by Chinese president Xi Jinping on Jan 3rd 2018 to Army units.

Watch it for yourself.

What is striking is not the fact that China has large armed forces. Given the country's size, that is nothing to be surprised of.

What is striking is the apparatus and decorum of power. Those of a totalitarian state with its worshipped Leader.

Had they be speaking German, the proper words for such a ceremony woud have been:
- Heil Xi Jinping! (Hail Xi Jinping)
- Heil mein Volk! (Hail my People)

Yep, America does have failings. Now, between the two modern superpowers... they definitely are the lesser danger.

Doc

Re: You think America is really so so bad? This will help you think again

Post by Doc » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:17 pm

Alexis wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:59 pm
Here is the speech by Chinese president Xi Jinping on Jan 3rd 2018 to Army units.

Watch it for yourself.

What is striking is not the fact that China has large armed forces. Given the country's size, that is nothing to be surprised of.

What is striking is the apparatus and decorum of power. Those of a totalitarian state with its worshipped Leader.

Had they be speaking German, the proper words for such a ceremony woud have been:

Yep, America does have failings. Now, between the two modern superpowers... they definitely are the lesser danger.
The PLA is not China's army it is the army of the CCP and loyal only to the CCP. AS far as I have ever seen the country of China has no army loyal to the country
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:26 pm

Alexis wrote:

Alexis: as soon as I saw your provided (still) picture of those PRC soldiers, this is the image that immediately flashed into my mind -

https://goo.gl/images/D8VqTh

:lol: 8-)

Alexis

Post by Alexis » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:32 pm

neverfail wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:26 pm
Alexis: as soon as I saw your provided (still) picture of those PRC soldiers, this is the image that immediately flashed into my mind -

https://goo.gl/images/D8VqTh

:lol: 8-)
I see. But these are merely cultural artifacts, and very interesting ones at that, in my eyes they're not linked with anything dreadful.

Personally, I would think more about that image:

Which is taken from Starship Troopers.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:42 pm

Alexis wrote:

Watch it for yourself.

For Europeans like us, it is almost unavoidable that a bunch of slant eyed, very rigid, very disciplined military personnel, will seem more threatening than people who look a lot like us, who are easy going and enjoy very much the same things we do, even if they live on the other side of the Atlantic and tend to be a bit ignorant about Europe... So the evil Yellow people are a threat to us, and the good spirited Yankees are our eternal saviours... Unfortunately the stereotypes are very unhelpful, and the real threat to world peace comes in fact from the US, not from China... As we can see by the aggressiveness shown by the US against any country not willing to toe their line.

Doc

Post by Doc » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:51 pm

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Milo

Post by Milo » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:34 pm

It was over 12 years ago that I first heard the idea that China was no longer Communist but Facist, it appears to have taken the final step in anointing a Fuhrer.

Doc

Post by Doc » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:22 pm

Milo wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:34 pm
It was over 12 years ago that I first heard the idea that China was no longer Communist but Facist, it appears to have taken the final step in anointing a Fuhrer.
We'll have to wait to see how Xi does holding the dragon's tail.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:10 pm

Alexis wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:32 pm

I see. But these are merely cultural artifacts, and very interesting ones at that, in my eyes they're not linked with anything dreadful.
Apparently those terracotta warriors are from the mausoleum of Qin Shi Huang: the Qin warlord emperor of China whose conquests (2nd Century BC) unified China for the first time into something approximately like its present day frontiers.

I believe that until quite recently Chinese archaeologists refused to excavate the mausoleum and its vicinity because in legend Qin Shi Huang was associated with so much bloodshed in getting together his empire that his name is associated with much evil. Apparently the Chinese viewed the mausoleum as a sort of gigantic Pandora's box: open it and all of that violence will be unleashed again. Disturb it and you will be cursed as will China. :twisted:

Do you still think that those artifacts are not linked with anything dreadful Alexis? :?:
...................................................................................................................

A bit of interesting but possibly useless info:

Apparently news of Qin Shi Huang even crossed Eurasia and lodged itself in the consciousness of The West. At this time Hellenic civilisation must have been in something of a decline but meanwhile Rome was on the rise. Apparently his surname Qin became repronounced there as Chin: which survived in English vocabulary until recently. The country was then named after him.

China = Chin-a.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:59 am

Sertorio wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:42 pm
Alexis wrote:

Watch it for yourself.

For Europeans like us, it is almost unavoidable that a bunch of slant eyed, very rigid, very disciplined military personnel, will seem more threatening than people who look a lot like us, who are easy going and enjoy very much the same things we do, even if they live on the other side of the Atlantic and tend to be a bit ignorant about Europe... So the evil Yellow people are a threat to us, and the good spirited Yankees are our eternal saviours... Unfortunately the stereotypes are very unhelpful, and the real threat to world peace comes in fact from the US, not from China... As we can see by the aggressiveness shown by the US against any country not willing to toe their line.
Er Sertorio,

I am a Chinese and I have narrow eyes of course. I too fear China and hope for America's success to contain them.
The Imp :D