PRC harassment abroad: the regime that will stop at nothing to get its own way.

Discussion of current events
cassowary

Re: PRC harassment abroad: the regime that will stop at nothing to get its own way.

Post by cassowary » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:40 am

Sertorio,

Firstly, thank you for your kind words.

It is not the islands that China is claiming. China is also claiming nearly all of the South China Sea. Here is the famous 9 dash line:

China is claiming all the waters in the 9 dash line, which is hitherto regarded as International waters. What that means is that China has the right to stop shipping going through "their" waters. This means that China can put economic pressure on any nation it does not like.

Singapore has spoken out against this territorial grab. The Chinese hacked into the computers of our Ministry of Health to find out about our PM's health. I guess they want him replaced with a more pliable leader.

Milo

Re: PRC harassment abroad: the regime that will stop at nothing to get its own way.

Post by Milo » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:56 am

Most of those formations are not "islands" at all, that's why China has spent so much on building platforms to operate from.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:10 am

Milo wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:56 am
Most of those formations are not "islands" at all, that's why China has spent so much on building platforms to operate from.
And therefore, if I am not mistaken, they are not entitled to territorial waters or to an EEZ. Am I right?...

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:41 pm

cassowary wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:40 am
Sertorio,

Firstly, thank you for your kind words.

It is not the islands that China is claiming. China is also claiming nearly all of the South China Sea. Here is the famous 9 dash line:

China is claiming all the waters in the 9 dash line, which is hitherto regarded as International waters. What that means is that China has the right to stop shipping going through "their" waters. This means that China can put economic pressure on any nation it does not like.

Singapore has spoken out against this territorial grab. The Chinese hacked into the computers of our Ministry of Health to find out about our PM's health. I guess they want him replaced with a more pliable leader.
It would not surprise me. The bastards hacked into our Federal parliamentary computer several years ago; presumably to gain info on relations between our key parliamentary figures on order to facilitate future manipulation of our politics. News was just broadcast yesterday that an unnamed foreign state just did it again. Probably it was the PRC getting an update.
........................................................................................................................................

Cass, returning to your copy of the nine dash map: I estimate that if the seabed and waters were divided according to international law, the PRC would still get slightly more than half of what they are claiming. Hainan island projects Chinese territory well to the south of the mainland. In addition, according to the median line principle applied in international law of the sea it would also get half the seabed of the Gulf of Tonkin (shared with Vietnam) notably outside of the 9 dash line.

Sertorio, please wake up! The United States has no claim of sovereignty over the South China Sea nor any of its shoals and reefs. It is the adjacent, small and relatively weak, south east Asian littoral states; The Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia and Brunei that the PRC is attempting to rob.

Doc

Post by Doc » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:54 pm

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:10 pm

Doc wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:54 pm
Doc,

There is an election campaign currently (unofficially) under way in preparation for our May national elections. The above video contains nothing but slanderous filth.

The current coalition government is visibly disintegrating and desperate to, since it has given up hope of winning the election outright, take away enough votes from the Australian Labor party to reduce it to being a weak minority government when elected (just as our Liberal-conservative coalition is now).

Think about it doc! That alleged airfield (if it exists at all) is on Australian sovereign territory and could only be there if the current government had sanctioned its construction. Yet the instagor of that commercial (probably not the government but a splinter-party ally acting on its behalf) is trying to point the accusing finger at our party of Opposition.

Further, if conflict were to break out between Australia and the PRC, it would take just half a company of Australian soldiers to occupy the site thus denying its use to our PRC adversary. Then the airfield could be used by our air force planes as a convenient refuelling stop to see off the Chinese war fleet offshore.

Smear and fear. When a party in government dreads loss of power, a good scare campaign can sometimes work wonders,

I have seen it all before! I expect to have to suffer yet more of this kind of shit before election day comes up.

Doc

Post by Doc » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:27 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:10 pm
Doc wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:54 pm
Doc,

There is an election campaign currently (unofficially) under way in preparation for our May national elections. The above video contains nothing but slanderous filth.

The current coalition government is visibly disintegrating and desperate to, since it has given up hope of winning the election outright, take away enough votes from the Australian Labor party to reduce it to being a weak minority government when elected (just as our Liberal-conservative coalition is now).

Think about it doc! That alleged airfield (if it exists at all) is on Australian sovereign territory and could only be there if the current government had sanctioned its construction. Yet the instagor of that commercial (probably not the government but a splinter-party ally acting on its behalf) is trying to point the accusing finger at our party of Opposition.

Further, if conflict were to break out between Australia and the PRC, it would take just half a company of Australian soldiers to occupy the site thus denying its use to our PRC adversary. Then the airfield could be used by our air force planes as a convenient refuelling stop to see off the Chinese war fleet offshore.

Smear and fear. When a party in government dreads loss of power, a good scare campaign can sometimes work wonders,

I have seen it all before! I expect to have to suffer yet more of this kind of shit before election day comes up.
I just saw the advertisement on YouTube. Though it is interesting to note that the port does not show on Google Earth https://www.bing.com/maps?&cp=-20.82042 ... orm=S00027
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:48 pm

Doc wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:27 pm

I just saw the advertisement on YouTube. Though it is interesting to note that the port does not show on Google Earth https://www.bing.com/maps?&cp=-20.82042 ... orm=S00027
Thanks for bringing my attention to this, Doc.

Now that I know that failed Queensland multi-billionaire businessman and wannabe senator Clive Palmer is behind this (and other similar) social media lies, it makes more sense.

Doc

Post by Doc » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:58 pm

neverfail wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:48 pm
Doc wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:27 pm

Thanks for bringing my attention to this, Doc.

Now that I know that failed Queensland multi-billionaire businessman and wannabe senator Clive Palmer is behind this (and other similar) social media lies, it makes more sense.
Apparently the private airport exists as well it is just not on the map yet.

https://flightaware.com/resources/airport/YCPR/map