Trump’s threats and scoldings have got NATO countries to increase defence spending,

Discussion of current events
neverfail

Re: Trump’s threats and scoldings have got NATO countries to increase defence spending,

Post by neverfail » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:36 am

Doc wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:08 am
neverfail wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:19 am
Doc wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:29 pm

My guess us that it only a matter of time before China seizes Siberia from Russia
Why should China covet the world's biggest patch of permafrost?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberian_ ... _resources

Siberian natural resources
China does not need it. As things stand China can buy all the natural resources it wants on the world market in most cases far more cost-effectively.

Siberia's resources failed to save the USSR.

Doc

Re: Trump’s threats and scoldings have got NATO countries to increase defence spending,

Post by Doc » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:46 am

neverfail wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:36 am
Doc wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Doc wrote:

My guess us that it only a matter of time before China seizes Siberia from Russia

China does not need it. As things stand China can buy all the natural resources it wants on the world market in most cases far more cost-effectively.

SO why then is it claiming the South China Sea when it could simply buy the oil extracted from there?
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Milo

Post by Milo » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:39 am

Doc wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:46 am
neverfail wrote:
Doc wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Doc wrote:

SO why then is it claiming the South China Sea when it could simply buy the oil extracted from there?
Neverfail can speak for himself of course but I wonder if this isn't some kind of 'near abroad' strategy. China may be worried that Singapore will become too democratic for its liking in the future and wants to hold something over them. A truly democratic Singapore would create a population of educated mandarin speakers, which would pose an existential threat to China's ideology.

China has already deployed vast forces on its border with North Korea and it seems pretty obvious it's not because they fear invasion, it's because they fear unification and the dangerous ideas that would bring to their border.

Since glasnost and perestroika, it is reported that the CCP is obsessed with stopping such movements there.

OTOH, let's not forget that the largest empire in history seemed "to have conquered half the world in a fit of absence of mind". The UK began by creating bases to defend trade and coaling stations for ships. As time went on, more and more land was justified, until they were losing money on it, resulting in "little Englandism".

So I think it's ideology at this point, which may become 'the new great game' in the future.

Doc

Post by Doc » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:33 am

Milo wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:39 am
Doc wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Doc wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Doc wrote:

Neverfail can speak for himself of course but I wonder if this isn't some kind of 'near abroad' strategy. China may be worried that Singapore will become too democratic for its liking in the future and wants to hold something over them. A truly democratic Singapore would create a population of educated mandarin speakers, which would pose an existential threat to China's ideology.

China has already deployed vast forces on its border with North Korea and it seems pretty obvious it's not because they fear invasion, it's because they fear unification and the dangerous ideas that would bring to their border.

Since glasnost and perestroika, it is reported that the CCP is obsessed with stopping such movements there.

OTOH, let's not forget that the largest empire in history seemed "to have conquered half the world in a fit of absence of mind". The UK began by creating bases to defend trade and coaling stations for ships. As time went on, more and more land was justified, until they were losing money on it, resulting in "little Englandism".

So I think it's ideology at this point, which may become 'the new great game' in the future.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/panosmourd ... 918052298b
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:01 am

Milo wrote:
Doc wrote:

That normal, educated, intelligent people can utter this type of nonsense, sort of frightens me.

The idea that Chinese involvement in the South China Sea could be due to worries about Singapore becoming too democratic and thus posing an existential threat to China's ideology, is so bizarre that it is beyond any attempt at rational countering... At best it sounds like the plot for an Asterix adventure in Asia...

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:47 pm

Doc wrote:
The oil has not even been discovered yet so it is still unproven whether it is there or not. What the bed of the South China Sea represents at present to interested parties is exploration acreage, not proven oil and gas reserves.

Beijing, I believe, is not so much interested in this region for its oil and gas bearing potential so much as the geostrategic potential of the PRC becoming the kingpin power broker of south east Asia.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:04 pm

Milo wrote:

Neverfail can speak for himself of course...
...and I will too! :D

Milo wrote:
..... but I wonder if this isn't some kind of 'near abroad' strategy. China may be worried that Singapore will become too democratic for its liking in the future and wants to hold something over them. A truly democratic Singapore would create a population of educated mandarin speakers, which would pose an existential threat to China's ideology.
Actually, I don't believe that Beijing cares a damn how Singapore is governed just so long as it toes Beijing's line in foreign policy (which I notice the ruling party in Singapore has refused to do, thereby upsetting Beijing). It is even possible that if Singapore were a multi-party democracy it would be more open to external manipulation by Beijing (see my recent post on New Zealand allowing itself to be a passive victim). But being a one-party security state in all but name Singapore can hermetically seal itself off from Beijing's machinations.

Far more of a thorn in the side of Beijing and far closer to home would be Taiwan: presently a more convincing advertisement for Chinese multi-party democracy than Singapore could hope to be. Unfortunately, the rest of the World has chosen to hang Taiwan out to dry for the sake of doing business with the big boy across the strait

Even the United States has placed itself in the absurd, contradictory position of recognizing the Chinese Communist Party as the legitimate government of China (..and Taiwan as part of China) while still remaining Taiwan's geostrategic and military protector of last resort.

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:49 pm

There is no evidence out there that Singapore won't do what it believes is best for Singaporeans. Should there be military conflict in E/SE Asia, I'm guessing that Singapore will take the WWII stance of Switzerland - stay out of it, while protecting its borders - especially against envious Muslim interests.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:29 pm

Jim the Moron wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:49 pm
There is no evidence out there that Singapore won't do what it believes is best for Singaporeans. Should there be military conflict in E/SE Asia, I'm guessing that Singapore will take the WWII stance of Switzerland - stay out of it, while protecting its borders - especially against envious Muslim interests.
Provided that circumstances allowed it to remain neutral- not a guarantee..

During a global conflagration on the scale of WW2, all bets are off.

Milo

Post by Milo » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:56 pm

neverfail wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:29 pm
Jim the Moron wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:49 pm
Provided that circumstances allowed it to remain neutral- not a guarantee..

During a global conflagration on the scale of WW2, all bets are off.
Singapore has always had close alliances with the UK and US. They already picked their side.