Trump’s threats and scoldings have got NATO countries to increase defence spending,

Discussion of current events
User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 2929
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Trump’s threats and scoldings have got NATO countries to increase defence spending,

Post by Sertorio » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:20 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:30 pm

In other words, he knows that's the only thing out there that would take out the U.S. Navy, and to him no price is too great to pay to rid the world of the U.S.
The price wouldn't be too great, as the US would be toothless without its aircraft carriers. Incapable of moving around large numbers of troops and air assets, how would the US threaten other countries?

neverfail
Posts: 4213
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Trump’s threats and scoldings have got NATO countries to increase defence spending,

Post by neverfail » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:21 am

Sertorio wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:20 pm
.... how would the US threaten other countries?
Umm, like with its thermonuclear arsenal?

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 2929
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Trump’s threats and scoldings have got NATO countries to increase defence spending,

Post by Sertorio » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:40 am

neverfail wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:21 am
Sertorio wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:20 pm
.... how would the US threaten other countries?
Umm, like with its thermonuclear arsenal?
Not good enough, as the payback would be tremendous. Strategic nuclear weapons can never again be used. They only exist to make sure nobody will be tempted to use them. So, all we have are the tactical nuclear weapons, which can be seen on equal footing with any other combat weapons.

User avatar
SteveFoerster
Posts: 2060
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:17 pm
Location: Northern Virginia, USA and Dominica, West Indies
Contact:

Re: Trump’s threats and scoldings have got NATO countries to increase defence spending,

Post by SteveFoerster » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:40 am

Sertorio wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:20 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:30 pm

In other words, he knows that's the only thing out there that would take out the U.S. Navy, and to him no price is too great to pay to rid the world of the U.S.
The price wouldn't be too great, as the US would be toothless without its aircraft carriers. Incapable of moving around large numbers of troops and air assets, how would the US threaten other countries?
The U.S. Air Force is the world's largest, and it doesn't use aircraft carriers to get around. The fighters and bombers on aircraft carriers are different planes. Fun fact, the U.S. Navy is the world's second largest air force.

The only area of warfare where the U.S. might not have overwhelming advantage is cyberwarfare, and on that, we simply don't know.

And I don't say that as a cheerleader for empire, because I'm not one. But that doesn't change facts.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

User avatar
Doc
Posts: 3485
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Cradle To Grave

Re: Trump’s threats and scoldings have got NATO countries to increase defence spending,

Post by Doc » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:22 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:11 am
Doc wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:47 am
Sertorio wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:52 am
neverfail wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:00 am
Sertorio wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:45 am

Nothing would stop Europe acquiring tactical nuclear weapons, which is all that is necessary. Nobody will ever use strategic nuclear weapons, knowing what the consequences would be. If that's the purpose of the alliance with the US, forget it. It is worthless. In any future war among the more developed countries, the objective is not destroying eachother's cities, nor occupying enemy territory. It is destroying the enemy's military assets. For that only tactical nuclear weapons are useful.
How could you be sure? The course and conduct of wars are unpredictable.
Some governments are stupid, but few would be suicidal. But I guess those idiots will give us the opportunity of seeing whether they are suicidal or not...
SO you feel tactical nuclear weapons are ok to use?
Yes. If used against major naval vessels, airfields or concentration of military personnel and hardware. The nuclear fall out is minimal and civilians would not be harmed. Better a tactical nuclear weapon than hundreds of conventional bombs or explosives. And the sooner the military assests are destroyed, the sooner the conflict would be over. Preferably without winners.
No country that has nuclear weapons would stop at using them and not ICBMs if it meant they were going to lose a war.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

User avatar
Doc
Posts: 3485
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Cradle To Grave

Re: Trump’s threats and scoldings have got NATO countries to increase defence spending,

Post by Doc » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:29 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:40 am
Sertorio wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:20 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:30 pm

In other words, he knows that's the only thing out there that would take out the U.S. Navy, and to him no price is too great to pay to rid the world of the U.S.
The price wouldn't be too great, as the US would be toothless without its aircraft carriers. Incapable of moving around large numbers of troops and air assets, how would the US threaten other countries?
The U.S. Air Force is the world's largest, and it doesn't use aircraft carriers to get around. The fighters and bombers on aircraft carriers are different planes. Fun fact, the U.S. Navy is the world's second largest air force.

The only area of warfare where the U.S. might not have overwhelming advantage is cyberwarfare, and on that, we simply don't know.

And I don't say that as a cheerleader for empire, because I'm not one. But that doesn't change facts.
The US BY FAR is the largest superpower in the war militarily. The Chinese don't even have an anti-submarine defense. The Russian Navy does not go to blue water sea unless escorted by a sea tug to bring their ships back **when** they break down.

My guess us that it only a matter of time before China seizes Siberia from Russia
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 2929
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Trump’s threats and scoldings have got NATO countries to increase defence spending,

Post by Sertorio » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:05 pm

Doc wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:29 pm

The US BY FAR is the largest superpower in the war militarily. The Chinese don't even have an anti-submarine defense. The Russian Navy does not go to blue water sea unless escorted by a sea tug to bring their ships back **when** they break down.

My guess us that it only a matter of time before China seizes Siberia from Russia
Do you ever stop to think, before you post things like this?... Underestimating your adversary and overestimating your own power is a sure way to disaster...

User avatar
Doc
Posts: 3485
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Cradle To Grave

Re: Trump’s threats and scoldings have got NATO countries to increase defence spending,

Post by Doc » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:03 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:05 pm
Doc wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:29 pm

The US BY FAR is the largest superpower in the war militarily. The Chinese don't even have an anti-submarine defense. The Russian Navy does not go to blue water sea unless escorted by a sea tug to bring their ships back **when** they break down.

My guess us that it only a matter of time before China seizes Siberia from Russia
Do you ever stop to think, before you post things like this?... Underestimating your adversary and overestimating your own power is a sure way to disaster...
Do you always assume others' ignorance? :D
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail
Posts: 4213
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Trump’s threats and scoldings have got NATO countries to increase defence spending,

Post by neverfail » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:19 am

Doc wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:29 pm


My guess us that it only a matter of time before China seizes Siberia from Russia
Why should China covet the world's biggest patch of permafrost?

User avatar
Doc
Posts: 3485
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Cradle To Grave

Re: Trump’s threats and scoldings have got NATO countries to increase defence spending,

Post by Doc » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:08 am

neverfail wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:19 am
Doc wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:29 pm


My guess us that it only a matter of time before China seizes Siberia from Russia
Why should China covet the world's biggest patch of permafrost?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberian_ ... _resources

Siberian natural resources
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Post Reply