Trump’s threats and scoldings have got NATO countries to increase defence spending,

Discussion of current events
Sertorio

Re: Trump’s threats and scoldings have got NATO countries to increase defence spending,

Post by Sertorio » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:11 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:01 am
Sertorio wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:33 am
See neverfail's post above. Are you blind, or just conveniently illiterate?...Or maybe you are just pretending this is not what was implied in his post.
If you're going to use a word like "racist", you'd better base that on something he said, and not just something you've decided he "implied".
Almost racist, I said. Because I do not believe neverfail was being deliberately racist.

Sertorio

Re: Trump’s threats and scoldings have got NATO countries to increase defence spending,

Post by Sertorio » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:12 am

Milo wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:30 am
SteveFoerster wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:26 am
Sertorio wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:38 am
neverfail wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:19 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:42 am
What actual harm are they suffering? (I mean, in respet of their EEZ)
What harm has the soon-to-be victim of a brutal street mugging suffered while the mugger is still tailing him waiting for the opportunity to strike? Well, none of course for now; but that will change as soon as the intended victim moved into a position where there are no onlookers.

A bunch of reefs and shoals like those of the south China Sea are of too low value to be worthwhile for China to defend in their own right. They are also of no obvious value in the defence of mainland China either. Yet the PRC government is devoting a lot of money and other resources to militarising these. Why? China (like the hypothetical muggerm mentioned above) is positioning itself for the intended crime.
Condemning someone before he commits any crime, just because you suspect him of wanting to commit a crime is a dangerous precedent. Would you do it in your country in respect of any individual who looks suspicious to you? You just want to justify a confrontational policy in respect of China not because you are threatened, but because you decided to serve the doubtful interests of the US. In a way you are saying that Americans are part of your global tribe, while Chinese are aliens, and you will always side with your tribe against the barbarians. Sounds almost racist to me...
That whole paragraph was just bullshit you made up. He didn't say any of those things at all.
And there is no presumption of innocence in international law.
Is there presumption of guilt in international law?...

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:19 am

Sertorio wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:11 am
SteveFoerster wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:01 am
Sertorio wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:33 am
See neverfail's post above. Are you blind, or just conveniently illiterate?...Or maybe you are just pretending this is not what was implied in his post.
If you're going to use a word like "racist", you'd better base that on something he said, and not just something you've decided he "implied".
Almost racist, I said. Because I do not believe neverfail was being deliberately racist.
That's like accusing someone of being a little bit pregnant.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:37 pm

Sertorio wrote:

Condemning someone before he commits any crime, just because you suspect him of wanting to commit a crime is a dangerous precedent. Would you do it in your country in respect of any individual who looks suspicious to you? You just want to justify a confrontational policy in respect of China not because you are threatened, but because you decided to serve the doubtful interests of the US. In a way you are saying that Americans are part of your global tribe, while Chinese are aliens, and you will always side with your tribe against the barbarians. Sounds almost racist to me...
None of your above apersions are true.

If from a distance you see a lone woman walking through a darkened public park at night being stalked by 2 or 3 suspicious looking men; you do not usually need to wait until the gang rape has occurred to realise that those men are up to no good. Nor would you be guilty of misodeny were you to immediately pull out your mobile phone and call the police emergency number with a view of intervention (if possible) to prevent the crime from taking place.

Likewise, with China's South China Sea annexation!

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:27 pm

neverfail wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:37 pm
Sertorio wrote:

If from a distance you see a lone woman walking through a darkened public park at night being stalked by 2 or 3 suspicious looking men; you do not usually need to wait until the gang rape has occurred to realise that those men are up to no good. Nor would you be guilty of misodeny were you to immediately pull out your mobile phone and call the police emergency number with a view of intervention (if possible) to prevent the crime from taking place.

You have a great imagination! Are you sure you do not have some Latin ancestors, maybe even Portuguese?... :D

Doc

Post by Doc » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:22 am

Sertorio wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:27 pm
neverfail wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:37 pm
Sertorio wrote:

You have a great imagination! Are you sure you do not have some Latin ancestors, maybe even Portuguese?... :D

The Chinese communist Party has spent years propagandizing that the south China sea is their territory. To the point that the younger generation of China believes it to be true. The CCP has painted itself into a corner as the expectation from that generation is that China will possess it or the CCP leadership will look fatally weak to them.

That, along with the Chinese economic slow down, spells trouble.

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros