Trump’s threats and scoldings have got NATO countries to increase defence spending,

Discussion of current events
User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 2658
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Trump’s threats and scoldings have got NATO countries to increase defence spending,

Post by cassowary » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:32 pm

By $100 billion.

https://m.theepochtimes.com/nato-says-t ... 80949.html.

This is another sign of an effective leader. He gets results.


User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 2234
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Trump’s threats and scoldings have got NATO countries to increase defence spending,

Post by Sertorio » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:40 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:56 pm
https://www.theatlantic.com/internation ... es/564881/

It's Not Just About the Money
NATO is simply the US instrument of imperial power. It is useless for Europe. If European countries decided to create their own defense instrument, and forget about NATO, they would have a better military and they would be their own masters. Russia spends less money in defense than the European countries put together, and it has a credible military, while Europe doesn't.

neverfail
Posts: 3062
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am

Re: Trump’s threats and scoldings have got NATO countries to increase defence spending,

Post by neverfail » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:07 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:40 pm
neverfail wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:56 pm
https://www.theatlantic.com/internation ... es/564881/

It's Not Just About the Money
NATO is simply the US instrument of imperial power. It is useless for Europe. If European countries decided to create their own defense instrument, and forget about NATO, they would have a better military and they would be their own masters. Russia spends less money in defense than the European countries put together, and it has a credible military, while Europe doesn't.
Russia has a vast thermonuclear arsenal inherited from the USSR. Now that the UK is withdrawing (along with its midget t.n. arsonal) Europe only has the small French one at its disposal for defence. Not a match for the Russian one. Only the USA can do that.

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 2234
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Trump’s threats and scoldings have got NATO countries to increase defence spending,

Post by Sertorio » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:45 am

neverfail wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:07 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:40 pm
neverfail wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:56 pm
https://www.theatlantic.com/internation ... es/564881/

It's Not Just About the Money
NATO is simply the US instrument of imperial power. It is useless for Europe. If European countries decided to create their own defense instrument, and forget about NATO, they would have a better military and they would be their own masters. Russia spends less money in defense than the European countries put together, and it has a credible military, while Europe doesn't.
Russia has a vast thermonuclear arsenal inherited from the USSR. Now that the UK is withdrawing (along with its midget t.n. arsonal) Europe only has the small French one at its disposal for defence. Not a match for the Russian one. Only the USA can do that.
Nothing would stop Europe acquiring tactical nuclear weapons, which is all that is necessary. Nobody will ever use strategic nuclear weapons, knowing what the consequences would be. If that's the purpose of the alliance with the US, forget it. It is worthless. In any future war among the more developed countries, the objective is not destroying eachother's cities, nor occupying enemy territory. It is destroying the enemy's military assets. For that only tactical nuclear weapons are useful.

neverfail
Posts: 3062
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am

Re: Trump’s threats and scoldings have got NATO countries to increase defence spending,

Post by neverfail » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:00 am

Sertorio wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:45 am

Nothing would stop Europe acquiring tactical nuclear weapons, which is all that is necessary. Nobody will ever use strategic nuclear weapons, knowing what the consequences would be. If that's the purpose of the alliance with the US, forget it. It is worthless. In any future war among the more developed countries, the objective is not destroying eachother's cities, nor occupying enemy territory. It is destroying the enemy's military assets. For that only tactical nuclear weapons are useful.
How could you be sure? The course and conduct of wars are unpredictable.

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 2234
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Trump’s threats and scoldings have got NATO countries to increase defence spending,

Post by Sertorio » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:52 am

neverfail wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:00 am
Sertorio wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:45 am

Nothing would stop Europe acquiring tactical nuclear weapons, which is all that is necessary. Nobody will ever use strategic nuclear weapons, knowing what the consequences would be. If that's the purpose of the alliance with the US, forget it. It is worthless. In any future war among the more developed countries, the objective is not destroying eachother's cities, nor occupying enemy territory. It is destroying the enemy's military assets. For that only tactical nuclear weapons are useful.
How could you be sure? The course and conduct of wars are unpredictable.
Some governments are stupid, but few would be suicidal. But I guess those idiots will give us the opportunity of seeing whether they are suicidal or not...

User avatar
Doc
Posts: 2371
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Cradle To Grave

Re: Trump’s threats and scoldings have got NATO countries to increase defence spending,

Post by Doc » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:47 am

Sertorio wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:52 am
neverfail wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:00 am
Sertorio wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:45 am

Nothing would stop Europe acquiring tactical nuclear weapons, which is all that is necessary. Nobody will ever use strategic nuclear weapons, knowing what the consequences would be. If that's the purpose of the alliance with the US, forget it. It is worthless. In any future war among the more developed countries, the objective is not destroying eachother's cities, nor occupying enemy territory. It is destroying the enemy's military assets. For that only tactical nuclear weapons are useful.
How could you be sure? The course and conduct of wars are unpredictable.
Some governments are stupid, but few would be suicidal. But I guess those idiots will give us the opportunity of seeing whether they are suicidal or not...
SO you feel tactical nuclear weapons are ok to use?
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 2234
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Trump’s threats and scoldings have got NATO countries to increase defence spending,

Post by Sertorio » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:11 am

Doc wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:47 am
Sertorio wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:52 am
neverfail wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:00 am
Sertorio wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:45 am

Nothing would stop Europe acquiring tactical nuclear weapons, which is all that is necessary. Nobody will ever use strategic nuclear weapons, knowing what the consequences would be. If that's the purpose of the alliance with the US, forget it. It is worthless. In any future war among the more developed countries, the objective is not destroying eachother's cities, nor occupying enemy territory. It is destroying the enemy's military assets. For that only tactical nuclear weapons are useful.
How could you be sure? The course and conduct of wars are unpredictable.
Some governments are stupid, but few would be suicidal. But I guess those idiots will give us the opportunity of seeing whether they are suicidal or not...
SO you feel tactical nuclear weapons are ok to use?
Yes. If used against major naval vessels, airfields or concentration of military personnel and hardware. The nuclear fall out is minimal and civilians would not be harmed. Better a tactical nuclear weapon than hundreds of conventional bombs or explosives. And the sooner the military assests are destroyed, the sooner the conflict would be over. Preferably without winners.

User avatar
SteveFoerster
Posts: 1850
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:17 pm
Location: Northern Virginia, USA and Dominica, West Indies
Contact:

Re: Trump’s threats and scoldings have got NATO countries to increase defence spending,

Post by SteveFoerster » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:30 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:11 am
Doc wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:47 am
Sertorio wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:52 am
neverfail wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:00 am
Sertorio wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:45 am

Nothing would stop Europe acquiring tactical nuclear weapons, which is all that is necessary. Nobody will ever use strategic nuclear weapons, knowing what the consequences would be. If that's the purpose of the alliance with the US, forget it. It is worthless. In any future war among the more developed countries, the objective is not destroying eachother's cities, nor occupying enemy territory. It is destroying the enemy's military assets. For that only tactical nuclear weapons are useful.
How could you be sure? The course and conduct of wars are unpredictable.
Some governments are stupid, but few would be suicidal. But I guess those idiots will give us the opportunity of seeing whether they are suicidal or not...
SO you feel tactical nuclear weapons are ok to use?
Yes. If used against major naval vessels, airfields or concentration of military personnel and hardware. The nuclear fall out is minimal and civilians would not be harmed. Better a tactical nuclear weapon than hundreds of conventional bombs or explosives. And the sooner the military assests are destroyed, the sooner the conflict would be over. Preferably without winners.
In other words, he knows that's the only thing out there that would take out the U.S. Navy, and to him no price is too great to pay to rid the world of the U.S.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

Post Reply