Impeachment!

Discussion of current events
Milo

Re: Impeachment!

Post by Milo » Wed May 22, 2019 12:46 pm

And is this all about political calculation for you, or do you care at all that POTUS is using government money to enrich his own business?

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Wed May 22, 2019 12:50 pm

Milo wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:42 pm
Jim the Moron wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:25 pm
Yep. Impeach the bastard. We'll pick up some more butter for the popcorn today. Should it get to the Senate, the belligerent manchild 's opponents will go down in flames. Highly entertaining.
I don't see how they will "go down in flames". Many will resent the Senate for not Impeaching and that could be an advantage for the Democrats.

The Republicans have already lost the House on his watch...
but the big question is - impeach him for what? For going golfing? You can betcha that the Dem leadership won't push for impeachment.

Milo

Post by Milo » Wed May 22, 2019 12:59 pm

Jim the Moron wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:50 pm
Milo wrote:
Jim the Moron wrote:
Yep. Impeach the bastard. We'll pick up some more butter for the popcorn today. Should it get to the Senate, the belligerent manchild 's opponents will go down in flames. Highly entertaining.
I don't see how they will "go down in flames". Many will resent the Senate for not Impeaching and that could be an advantage for the Democrats.

but the big question is - impeach him for what? For going golfing? You can betcha that the Dem leadership won't push for impeachment.
If you can't see what's wrong with this you are definitely living up to your moniker.

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Wed May 22, 2019 1:08 pm

Milo wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:59 pm
Jim the Moron wrote:
Milo wrote:
Jim the Moron wrote:

If you can't see what's wrong with this you are definitely living up to your moniker.
Heck, I was always opposed to Presidents playing golf at taxpayer expense. Goes back many years, but in recent times Obama went through millions of taxpayer $'s flying out to Hawaii to play golf, among other activities there.

Milo

Post by Milo » Wed May 22, 2019 1:21 pm

Jim the Moron wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 1:08 pm
Milo wrote:
Jim the Moron wrote:
Milo wrote:
Jim the Moron wrote:

Heck, I was always opposed to Presidents playing golf at taxpayer expense. Goes back many years, but in recent times Obama went through millions of taxpayer $'s flying out to Hawaii to play golf, among other activities there.
Normally I would not spare the effort but just in case you are really this thick:

Trump is deliberately visiting his own properties in order to bill millions of taxpayer $ for expenses and to reap millions in free marketing.

It's not just that he has broken a campaign promises, he has, it's not just that he is not working, he isn't, but that he is diverting public funds to his own business, which, BTW, he still runs.

As I already asked, do you care that he does this or not?

Doc

Post by Doc » Wed May 22, 2019 2:19 pm

Jim the Moron wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 11:16 am
Doc wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:52 pm
Jim the Moron wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:28 am
Doc wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:15 am
Sertorio wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:50 am
Jim the Moron wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:33 am

Awaiting your response, Sertorio.
I just thought it would be interesting to bring together two of out threads. One dealing with American exceptionalism, and another where many Americans seem to opt always for the dumbest approach, as is the case with this impeachment saga. My point being, could it be that dumbness is what makes Americans exceptional?...In a negative way, of course...

As an AMerican I can assure you that I don't watch Many Stupid Nothing Burger Conspiracies and the Conspiracy News Network. Nor do I pay much attention to state media of other countries like RT or the Global China Television Network(GCTN)
As it happens, your average American doesn't consider herself/himself exceptional. They do the best that they can.
Hmmm I take exception to that Jim :D

But I think there needs to be a definition here of American Exceptionalism
The exact term "American exceptionalism" was occasionally used in the 19th century. In his The Yale Book of Quotations, Fred Shapiro notes "exceptionalism" was used to refer to the United States and its self-image by The Times of London on August 20, 1861.[8] Its common use dates from Communist usage in the late 1920s. Soviet leader Joseph Stalin chastised members of the Jay Lovestone-led faction of the American Communist Party for its claim the U.S. was independent of the Marxist laws of history "thanks to its natural resources, industrial capacity, and absence of rigid class distinctions". Stalin may have been told of the usage "American exceptionalism" by Broder & Zack in Daily Worker (N.Y.) on January 29, 1929, before Lovestone's visit to Moscow. American Communists started using the English term "American exceptionalism" in factional fights. It then moved into general use among intellectuals.[9][10] In 1989, Scottish political scientist Richard Rose noted most American historians endorse exceptionalism. He suggests these historians reason as follows:

America marches to a different drummer. Its uniqueness is explained by any or all of a variety of reasons: history, size, geography, political institutions, and culture. Explanations of the growth of government in Europe are not expected to fit American experience, and vice versa.[11]

However, postnationalist scholars have rejected American exceptionalism, arguing the U.S. did not break from European history, and accordingly, the U.S. has retained class-based and race-based differences, as well as imperialism and willingness to wage war.[12]
SO Wikipedia says that the first wide use of "American Exceptionalism was by the American Communist party.
Post nationalists reject this based on Class Race and war.

As for war, prior to WWII The United states had little interest in foreign wars. With the exception of the Mexican and Spanish American wars. After WWII America saw the world was unstable and fought wars to protect stability. IE "fighting wars to set other men free" Then Bush 41 came along.
The war drums for impeachment are pounding ever louder.

". . . many Americans seem to opt always for the dumbest approach, as is the case with this impeachment saga." (Sertorio). Yep. Entertaining. As SteveF (where are you?) once posted, a President Pence would be the left's worst nightmare, and Dem leadership knows that.

Impeachment? Bring it on.
I think that is Trump's point. The Democrats want to appear to be having impeachment hearings with plausible deniability by calling them over sight hearings.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opin ... p-knows-it

Democrats aren’t interested in legislating, and Trump knows it

Beyond that Trump is doing his Darth Vader Scthick

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Wed May 22, 2019 4:22 pm

Milo wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 1:21 pm
Jim the Moron wrote:
Milo wrote:
Jim the Moron wrote:
Milo wrote:
Jim the Moron wrote:

Normally I would not spare the effort but just in case you are really this thick:

Trump is deliberately visiting his own properties in order to bill millions of taxpayer $ for expenses and to reap millions in free marketing.

It's not just that he has broken a campaign promises, he has, it's not just that he is not working, he isn't, but that he is diverting public funds to his own business, which, BTW, he still runs.

Ask, and you shall receive . . .Trump likes to play golf. All kinds of POTUS have enjoyed playing golf. It's not my thing, though I won't go into detail here . . . If Trump wants to play golf - God bless.

armchair_pundit

Post by armchair_pundit » Thu May 23, 2019 9:48 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 4:22 pm
Milo wrote:
Jim the Moron wrote:
Milo wrote:
Jim the Moron wrote:
Milo wrote:

Ask, and you shall receive . . .Trump likes to play golf. All kinds of POTUS have enjoyed playing golf. It's not my thing, though I won't go into detail here . . . If Trump wants to play golf - God bless.
I'm not going to search it out, but if, and that's a mighty IF, Trump has played golf during his presidency on any course other than one he owns, Milo might just be barking at the trees, but if he has only patronized his own properties, then he is deliberately channeling the business to his properties. I mean he's the President, want to play Augusta National, don't think they'd say no, or Pebble Beach or Shinnecock Hills or Royal St Andrews... He does get to choose where he goes... nothing illegal about that.

Of course they all do it, Bill and Hillary, Obama, the Bushes, renting out property to the Secret Service, book deals, etc. Trump just happens to be a billionaire that owns lots or resort properties (with a 737, hat tip to Mr P 8-) )

Anyway for a politician to scam a dollar and they are all over it

Milo

Post by Milo » Thu May 23, 2019 12:54 pm

armchair_pundit wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:48 am
I'm not going to search it out, but if, and that's a mighty IF, Trump has played golf during his presidency on any course other than one he owns, Milo might just be barking at the trees, but if he has only patronized his own properties, then he is deliberately channeling the business to his properties.
It's a mighty big definitely.
Wednesday is the 853rd day of his presidency, and Trump has spent 174 of them at one of his own golf courses. He spent one additional day golfing: Nov. 5, 2017, at the Kasumigaseki Country Club outside Tokyo with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe. It is the only time thus far that he has played golf at a course he does not own.
https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/tru ... 23e65a01bb

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect » Thu May 23, 2019 7:27 pm

Milo wrote:

Nobody cares about it and with your history of dishonesty I have no reason to believe you do either. Pretty sad to see how pitiful your arguments have become.