Sertorio wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:22 am
Jim the Moron wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:04 am
SteveFoerster wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:36 am
neverfail wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:38 pm

What is it about Mike Pence that in your view would likely make him a worse president than Donald Trump?
Trump at least is indifferent on issues like marriage equality, drug reform, etc. Sometimes he pays lip service to the right, sometimes he doesn't bother. But Pence is very far to the right socially, to the point of being a dominionist.
Drumbeats for impeachment echo across the Capitol Hill green. The lovely Nancy is striving to hold her folks back. The equally lovely Maxine is giving full support to impeach the belligerent manchild. Go ahead. Impeach the bastard. See what that gets them in 2020.
Is this what American exceptionalism is all about? That most Americans are exceptionaly dumb, and those who aren't have given up?...
I wasn't talking about "American exceptionalism," so what's your point? If it is that lots of Americans are dumb, then that is a legit point. I was posting regarding efforts to impeach Trump.
Awaiting your response, Sertorio.
I just thought it would be interesting to bring together two of out threads. One dealing with American exceptionalism, and another where many Americans seem to opt always for the dumbest approach, as is the case with this impeachment saga. My point being, could it be that dumbness is what makes Americans exceptional?...In a negative way, of course...

Doc

Re: Impeachment!

Post by Doc » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:15 am

Sertorio wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:50 am
Jim the Moron wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:33 am
Jim the Moron wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:01 am
Sertorio wrote:
Jim the Moron wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:36 am

Trump at least is indifferent on issues like marriage equality, drug reform, etc. Sometimes he pays lip service to the right, sometimes he doesn't bother. But Pence is very far to the right socially, to the point of being a dominionist.
Drumbeats for impeachment echo across the Capitol Hill green. The lovely Nancy is striving to hold her folks back. The equally lovely Maxine is giving full support to impeach the belligerent manchild. Go ahead. Impeach the bastard. See what that gets them in 2020.
Is this what American exceptionalism is all about? That most Americans are exceptionaly dumb, and those who aren't have given up?...
I wasn't talking about "American exceptionalism," so what's your point? If it is that lots of Americans are dumb, then that is a legit point. I was posting regarding efforts to impeach Trump.
I just thought it would be interesting to bring together two of out threads. One dealing with American exceptionalism, and another where many Americans seem to opt always for the dumbest approach, as is the case with this impeachment saga. My point being, could it be that dumbness is what makes Americans exceptional?...In a negative way, of course...

As an AMerican I can assure you that I don't watch Many Stupid Nothing Burger Conspiracies and the Conspiracy News Network. Nor do I pay much attention to state media of other countries like RT or the Global China Television Network(GCTN)
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:28 am

Doc wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:15 am
Sertorio wrote:
Jim the Moron wrote:
Jim the Moron wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
Jim the Moron wrote:

As an AMerican I can assure you that I don't watch Many Stupid Nothing Burger Conspiracies and the Conspiracy News Network. Nor do I pay much attention to state media of other countries like RT or the Global China Television Network(GCTN)
As it happens, your average American doesn't consider herself/himself exceptional. They do the best that they can.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:01 pm

Jim the Moron wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:28 am
Doc wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
Jim the Moron wrote:
Jim the Moron wrote:
Sertorio wrote:

As it happens, your average American doesn't consider herself/himself exceptional. They do the best that they can.
If that is so - and I hope it is - where did that American exceptionalism idea come from? Certainly not from non-Americans, so it must have been born in the US...

armchair_pundit

Post by armchair_pundit » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:35 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:01 pm

If that is so - and I hope it is - where did that American exceptionalism idea come from? Certainly not from non-Americans, so it must have been born in the US...

Doc

Post by Doc » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:52 pm

Jim the Moron wrote:
Doc wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
Jim the Moron wrote:
Jim the Moron wrote:
Sertorio wrote:

Hmmm I take exception to that Jim :D

But I think there needs to be a definition here of American Exceptionalism
The exact term "American exceptionalism" was occasionally used in the 19th century. In his The Yale Book of Quotations, Fred Shapiro notes "exceptionalism" was used to refer to the United States and its self-image by The Times of London on August 20, 1861.[8] Its common use dates from Communist usage in the late 1920s. Soviet leader Joseph Stalin chastised members of the Jay Lovestone-led faction of the American Communist Party for its claim the U.S. was independent of the Marxist laws of history "thanks to its natural resources, industrial capacity, and absence of rigid class distinctions". Stalin may have been told of the usage "American exceptionalism" by Broder & Zack in Daily Worker (N.Y.) on January 29, 1929, before Lovestone's visit to Moscow. American Communists started using the English term "American exceptionalism" in factional fights. It then moved into general use among intellectuals.[9][10] In 1989, Scottish political scientist Richard Rose noted most American historians endorse exceptionalism. He suggests these historians reason as follows:

America marches to a different drummer. Its uniqueness is explained by any or all of a variety of reasons: history, size, geography, political institutions, and culture. Explanations of the growth of government in Europe are not expected to fit American experience, and vice versa.[11]

However, postnationalist scholars have rejected American exceptionalism, arguing the U.S. did not break from European history, and accordingly, the U.S. has retained class-based and race-based differences, as well as imperialism and willingness to wage war.[12]
SO Wikipedia says that the first wide use of "American Exceptionalism was by the American Communist party.
Post nationalists reject this based on Class Race and war.

As for war, prior to WWII The United states had little interest in foreign wars. With the exception of the Mexican and Spanish American wars. After WWII America saw the world was unstable and fought wars to protect stability. IE "fighting wars to set other men free" Then Bush 41 came along.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Wed May 22, 2019 11:16 am

Doc wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:52 pm
Jim the Moron wrote:
Doc wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
Jim the Moron wrote:
Jim the Moron wrote:

Hmmm I take exception to that Jim :D

But I think there needs to be a definition here of American Exceptionalism
The exact term "American exceptionalism" was occasionally used in the 19th century. In his The Yale Book of Quotations, Fred Shapiro notes "exceptionalism" was used to refer to the United States and its self-image by The Times of London on August 20, 1861.[8] Its common use dates from Communist usage in the late 1920s. Soviet leader Joseph Stalin chastised members of the Jay Lovestone-led faction of the American Communist Party for its claim the U.S. was independent of the Marxist laws of history "thanks to its natural resources, industrial capacity, and absence of rigid class distinctions". Stalin may have been told of the usage "American exceptionalism" by Broder & Zack in Daily Worker (N.Y.) on January 29, 1929, before Lovestone's visit to Moscow. American Communists started using the English term "American exceptionalism" in factional fights. It then moved into general use among intellectuals.[9][10] In 1989, Scottish political scientist Richard Rose noted most American historians endorse exceptionalism. He suggests these historians reason as follows:

America marches to a different drummer. Its uniqueness is explained by any or all of a variety of reasons: history, size, geography, political institutions, and culture. Explanations of the growth of government in Europe are not expected to fit American experience, and vice versa.[11]

However, postnationalist scholars have rejected American exceptionalism, arguing the U.S. did not break from European history, and accordingly, the U.S. has retained class-based and race-based differences, as well as imperialism and willingness to wage war.[12]
SO Wikipedia says that the first wide use of "American Exceptionalism was by the American Communist party.
Post nationalists reject this based on Class Race and war.

As for war, prior to WWII The United states had little interest in foreign wars. With the exception of the Mexican and Spanish American wars. After WWII America saw the world was unstable and fought wars to protect stability. IE "fighting wars to set other men free" Then Bush 41 came along.
The war drums for impeachment are pounding ever louder.

". . . many Americans seem to opt always for the dumbest approach, as is the case with this impeachment saga." (Sertorio). Yep. Entertaining. As SteveF (where are you?) once posted, a President Pence would be the left's worst nightmare, and Dem leadership knows that.

Impeachment? Bring it on.

Milo

Post by Milo » Wed May 22, 2019 12:15 pm

It's a "rounding error"!
Trump’s Golf Costs: $102 Million And Counting, With Taxpayers Picking Up The Tab

Trump promised never to golf. Instead, he’s spent more than twice as many days golfing as Obama at the same point, costing taxpayers over three times as much.
he White House did not respond to numerous queries regarding this story. North Carolina Republican congressman Mark Meadows, a close Trump ally, dismissed the $102 million figure as insignificant.

“There’s a lot more important things to worry about than the rounding errors that we sometimes have on these things,” he said Tuesday.
Just as troubling as the amount Trump has spent so far on golf trips is the fact that his visits have been to his own properties — for-profit businesses that put money in his own pocket and that Trump routinely praises during his visits.

During his trip to Scotland last year, for example, Trump wrote: “I have arrived in Scotland and will be at Trump Turnberry for two days of meetings, calls and hopefully, some golf - my primary form of exercise! The weather is beautiful, and this place is incredible!”

“His top priority with these trips is not the business of the American people, it’s the business of the Trump Organization,” said Jordan Libowitz of the Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington. “The American presidency has become another tool to advertise his golf properties.”

I just want to stay in the White House and work my ass off. Candidate Donald Trump in 2016
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-go ... ccounter=1

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Wed May 22, 2019 12:25 pm

Yep. Impeach the bastard. We'll pick up some more butter for the popcorn today. Should it get to the Senate, the belligerent manchild 's opponents will go down in flames. Highly entertaining.

Milo

Post by Milo » Wed May 22, 2019 12:42 pm

Jim the Moron wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:25 pm
Yep. Impeach the bastard. We'll pick up some more butter for the popcorn today. Should it get to the Senate, the belligerent manchild 's opponents will go down in flames. Highly entertaining.
I don't see how they will "go down in flames". Many will resent the Senate for not Impeaching and that could be an advantage for the Democrats.

The Republicans have already lost the House on his watch...