Impeachment!

Discussion of current events
Doc

Re: Impeachment!

Post by Doc » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:41 pm

Milo wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:39 pm
Straight up emollient seeking!
President Donald Trump said Monday that he is "possibly" looking at hosting the next G7 summit at his Trump National Doral Miami Golf Resort.

The US is next up to host the G7 in 2020. Trump said while he hasn't made a final decision on where to host the summit, officials "haven't found anything that's even close to competing with it."
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/26/politics ... index.html
Laser pointer
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:21 pm

I have a certain notoriety among the lesser gods........

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:52 pm

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:21 pm
Your pet?

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:20 am

All my cats belong to other people.......'>.........
I have a certain notoriety among the lesser gods........

Doc

Post by Doc » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:21 am

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:11 am

The Comanche wardrums are beating. Their Chief, Sen Warren, has entered the fray. The silly-assed folks in the House might indeed bring forth Articles of Impeachment, doomed to go down in flames in the Senate. Entertaining stuff, except that in the meantime no significant legislation is being put forward in the House.

Doc

Post by Doc » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:22 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:11 am
The Comanche wardrums are beating. Their Chief, Sen Warren, has entered the fray. The silly-assed folks in the House might indeed bring forth Articles of Impeachment, doomed to go down in flames in the Senate. Entertaining stuff, except that in the meantime no significant legislation is being put forward in the House.
The Democrat party is toast. They have nothing to offer but extremism. They are thoroughly corrupt and that is all they have in common with each other. That goes even for "the squad" Any democratic politician that is not for the goal of more money in their pockets has no future in the democratic party. NONE NADA ZIP. Any chance that they might have a sliver of hope to reform the party will be stolen from them.

Milo

Post by Milo » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:32 pm

Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced on Tuesday evening that the US House of Representatives will launch impeachment proceedings into Donald Trump, setting up an extraordinary constitutional clash over allegations he sought the help of a foreign country to harm a political rival.

“The president must be held accountable. No one is above the law,” Pelosi said on Capitol Hill moments after 5pm on Tuesday.

After months of resistance amid calls from many fellow Democrats in Washington, Pelosi determined that Trump’s alleged conduct and his administration’s refusal to comply with congressional requests for information and testimony has forced the House’s hand, leaving them no choice but to move forward with a formal impeachment inquiry.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/pelosi-announ ... 06768.html

neverfail

Re: not so (im) peachy as it looks?

Post by neverfail » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:20 pm

Milo wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:32 pm
Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced on Tuesday evening that the US House of Representatives will launch impeachment proceedings into Donald Trump, setting up an extraordinary constitutional clash over allegations he sought the help of a foreign country to harm a political rival.

“The president must be held accountable. No one is above the law,” Pelosi said on Capitol Hill moments after 5pm on Tuesday.

After months of resistance amid calls from many fellow Democrats in Washington, Pelosi determined that Trump’s alleged conduct and his administration’s refusal to comply with congressional requests for information and testimony has forced the House’s hand, leaving them no choice but to move forward with a formal impeachment inquiry.

Well, I just hope that this (so called) impeachment inquiry is what it seems and is not merely a dirt digging stunt to make it easier for the Democrats candidate to win the 2020 presidential election.

I believe that to impeach a US president you need a two thirds majority in the Senate as well as majority support in the House of Reps. Highly unlikely given that the Senate has a Republican majority.

Milo

Re: not so (im) peachy as it looks?

Post by Milo » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:38 am

neverfail wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:20 pm
Milo wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:32 pm

Well, I just hope that this (so called) impeachment inquiry is what it seems and is not merely a dirt digging stunt to make it easier for the Democrats candidate to win the 2020 presidential election.

I believe that to impeach a US president you need a two thirds majority in the Senate as well as majority support in the House of Reps. Highly unlikely given that the Senate has a Republican majority.
Digging v inquiry is a distinction without a difference here. Under the US constitution, only the House can charge a sitting President with a crime. The process is inherently and deliberately politicized. Furthermore, there is the argument that impeachment will force his base to dig in and make it harder for the Democrats to win.

Given Trump's repeated and flagrant flouting of the law and the Republicans' obsequious defence of everything Trump does, I think the Democrats have a duty to impeach and whether they win is not part of the consideration.