Checking Robert Mueller

Discussion of current events
Post Reply
User avatar
Doc
Posts: 2934
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Cradle To Grave

Checking Robert Mueller

Post by Doc » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:56 am

https://www.wsj.com/articles/checking-r ... 1544745831
Checking Robert Mueller
The sentencing judge brings to light dodgy FBI conduct in the Mike Flynn case.
2036 Comments
By Kimberley A. Strassel
Dec. 13, 2018 7:03 p.m. ET

Robert Mueller has operated for 19 months as a law unto himself, reminding us of the awesome and destructive powers of special counsels. About the only possible check on Mr. Mueller is a judge who is wise to the tricks of prosecutors and investigators. Good news: That’s what we got this week.

Former national security adviser Mike Flynn a year ago pleaded guilty to one count of lying to the Federal Bureau of Investigation about his conversations with Russia’s ambassador to the U.S. Mr. Flynn’s defense team this week filed a sentencing memo to Judge Emmet Sullivan that contained explosive new information about the Flynn-FBI meeting in January 2017.
Judge Emmet Sullivan in Washington, May 1, 2008.
Judge Emmet Sullivan in Washington, May 1, 2008. Photo: Charles Dharapak/Associated Press

It was arranged by then-Deputy FBI Director Andrew McCabe, who personally called Mr. Flynn on other business, then suggested he sit down with two agents to clear up the Russia question. Mr. McCabe urged Mr. Flynn to conduct the interview with no lawyer present—to make things easier.

The agents (including the infamous Peter Strzok) showed up within two hours. They had already decided not to inform Mr. Flynn that they had transcripts of his conversations or give him the standard warning against lying to the FBI. They wanted him “relaxed” and “unguarded.” Former Director James Comey this weekend bragged on MSNBC that he would never have “gotten away” with such a move in a more “organized” administration.

The whole thing stinks of entrapment, though the curious question was how the Flynn defense team got the details. The court filing refers to a McCabe memo written the day of the 2017 meeting, as well as an FBI summary—known as a 302—of the Flynn interview. These are among documents congressional Republicans have been fighting to obtain for more than a year, only to be stonewalled by the Justice Department. Now we know why the department didn’t want them public.

They have come to light thanks to a man who knows well how men like Messrs. Mueller and Comey operate: Judge Sullivan. He sits on the U.S. District Court in the District of Columbia, and as he wrote for the Journal last year, he got a “wake-up call” in 2008 while overseeing the trial of then-Sen. Ted Stevens of Alaska. Judge Sullivan ultimately assigned a lawyer to investigate Justice Department misconduct.

The investigator’s report found prosecutors had engaged in deliberate and repeated ethical violations, withholding key evidence from the defense. It also excoriated the FBI for failing to write up 302s and for omitting key facts from those it did write. The head of the FBI was Mr. Mueller.

Judge Sullivan has since made it his practice to begin every case with a Brady order, which reminds prosecutors of their constitutional obligation to provide the defense with any exculpatory evidence. On Dec. 12, 2017, days after being assigned the Flynn case, Judge Sullivan issued such an order, instructing Mr. Mueller’s team to turn over “any evidence in its possession that is favorable to defendant and material either to defendant’s guilt or punishment.” Had any other judge drawn the case, we likely would never have seen these details of the FBI’s behavior.

It’s clear that something has concerned the judge—who likely sees obvious parallels to the Stevens case. The media was predicting a quick ruling in the Flynn case. Instead, Judge Sullivan issued new orders Wednesday, demanding to see for himself the McCabe memo and the Flynn 302. He also ordered the special counsel to hand over by Friday any other documents relevant to the Flynn-FBI meeting.

Given his history with the FBI, the judge may also have some questions about the curious date on the Flynn 302—Aug. 22, 2017, seven months after the interview. Texts from Mr. Strzok and testimony from Mr. Comey both suggest the 302 was written long before then. Was the 302 edited in the interim? If so, by whom, and at whose direction? FBI officials initially testified to Congress that the agents did not think Mr. Flynn had lied.

Judges have the ability to reject plea deals and require a prosecutor to make a case at trial. The criminal-justice system isn’t only about holding defendants accountable; trials also provide oversight of investigators and their tactics. And judges are not obliged to follow prosecutors’ sentencing recommendations.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

User avatar
Milo
Posts: 1929
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: Checking Robert Mueller

Post by Milo » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:30 pm

And it turns out Flynn lied repeatedly,despite the FBI giving him every possible break!

https://assets.documentcloud.org/docume ... ew-302.pdf

Another right wing non-tempest without a cup!

User avatar
Doc
Posts: 2934
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Cradle To Grave

Re: Checking Robert Mueller

Post by Doc » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:55 pm

Milo wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:30 pm
And it turns out Flynn lied repeatedly,despite the FBI giving him every possible break!

https://assets.documentcloud.org/docume ... ew-302.pdf

Another right wing non-tempest without a cup!
Show me where Flynn lied EXACTLY I sure don't see where he did in your link. The 302 doesn't even appear to be complete more like a summary of a 302.

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

User avatar
Milo
Posts: 1929
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: Checking Robert Mueller

Post by Milo » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:34 pm

Doc wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:55 pm
Milo wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:30 pm
And it turns out Flynn lied repeatedly,despite the FBI giving him every possible break!

https://assets.documentcloud.org/docume ... ew-302.pdf

Another right wing non-tempest without a cup!
Show me where Flynn lied EXACTLY I sure don't see where he did in your link. The 302 doesn't even appear to be complete more like a summary of a 302.

We'll hear from the judge tomorrow.

User avatar
Milo
Posts: 1929
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: Checking Robert Mueller

Post by Milo » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:15 am

It would appear the judge is quite convinced of Flynn's guilt, despite the latest round of Republican bloviation!

Michael Flynn sentencing delayed after judge hints at more severe penalty
Attorneys for Flynn asked the judge to postpone the sentencing. The stunning request came after Sullivan warned Flynn that if he were sentenced as scheduled Tuesday, he might not get all the credit for his co-operation with investigators that he is entitled to.

Flynn pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI about his Russia contacts. Prosecutors had recommended no prison time, citing his co-operation. But the judge's rebuke raised the prospect the retired army lieutenant general could be sentenced to prison.

"I can't hide my disgust, my disdain," said Sullivan regarding Flynn's crime of lying to the FBI.

The judge had even harsher words with respect to Flynn's connection with a campaign to pressure the United States to expel a Turkish cleric, for which he has not been charged.

"Arguably you sold your country out," said Sullivan.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/flynn-sen ... -1.4950454

User avatar
Doc
Posts: 2934
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Cradle To Grave

Re: Checking Robert Mueller

Post by Doc » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:24 am

Milo wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:15 am
It would appear the judge is quite convinced of Flynn's guilt, despite the latest round of Republican bloviation!

Michael Flynn sentencing delayed after judge hints at more severe penalty
Attorneys for Flynn asked the judge to postpone the sentencing. The stunning request came after Sullivan warned Flynn that if he were sentenced as scheduled Tuesday, he might not get all the credit for his co-operation with investigators that he is entitled to.

Flynn pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI about his Russia contacts. Prosecutors had recommended no prison time, citing his co-operation. But the judge's rebuke raised the prospect the retired army lieutenant general could be sentenced to prison.

"I can't hide my disgust, my disdain," said Sullivan regarding Flynn's crime of lying to the FBI.

The judge had even harsher words with respect to Flynn's connection with a campaign to pressure the United States to expel a Turkish cleric, for which he has not been charged.

"Arguably you sold your country out," said Sullivan.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/flynn-sen ... -1.4950454
What you have failed to mention is that the Judge later apologized to Flynn once he found out that Flynn stopped being a lobbyist in 2016 BEFORE the Trump Administration took office.

As far as Turkey goes WRT to Flynn I have no idea on that other to know it is not part of the Mueller investigation.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

User avatar
Milo
Posts: 1929
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: Checking Robert Mueller

Post by Milo » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:52 am

Doc wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:24 am
Milo wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:15 am
It would appear the judge is quite convinced of Flynn's guilt, despite the latest round of Republican bloviation!

Michael Flynn sentencing delayed after judge hints at more severe penalty
Attorneys for Flynn asked the judge to postpone the sentencing. The stunning request came after Sullivan warned Flynn that if he were sentenced as scheduled Tuesday, he might not get all the credit for his co-operation with investigators that he is entitled to.

Flynn pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI about his Russia contacts. Prosecutors had recommended no prison time, citing his co-operation. But the judge's rebuke raised the prospect the retired army lieutenant general could be sentenced to prison.

"I can't hide my disgust, my disdain," said Sullivan regarding Flynn's crime of lying to the FBI.

The judge had even harsher words with respect to Flynn's connection with a campaign to pressure the United States to expel a Turkish cleric, for which he has not been charged.

"Arguably you sold your country out," said Sullivan.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/flynn-sen ... -1.4950454
What you have failed to mention is that the Judge later apologized to Flynn once he found out that Flynn stopped being a lobbyist in 2016 BEFORE the Trump Administration took office.

As far as Turkey goes WRT to Flynn I have no idea on that other to know it is not part of the Mueller investigation.
He apologized for suggesting treason, not for his characterization of the crime of lying to the federal agents. So, yes, I failed to mention something irrelevant.

User avatar
Doc
Posts: 2934
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Cradle To Grave

Re: Checking Robert Mueller

Post by Doc » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:07 pm

Milo wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:52 am
Doc wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:24 am
Milo wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:15 am
It would appear the judge is quite convinced of Flynn's guilt, despite the latest round of Republican bloviation!

Michael Flynn sentencing delayed after judge hints at more severe penalty
Attorneys for Flynn asked the judge to postpone the sentencing. The stunning request came after Sullivan warned Flynn that if he were sentenced as scheduled Tuesday, he might not get all the credit for his co-operation with investigators that he is entitled to.

Flynn pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI about his Russia contacts. Prosecutors had recommended no prison time, citing his co-operation. But the judge's rebuke raised the prospect the retired army lieutenant general could be sentenced to prison.

"I can't hide my disgust, my disdain," said Sullivan regarding Flynn's crime of lying to the FBI.

The judge had even harsher words with respect to Flynn's connection with a campaign to pressure the United States to expel a Turkish cleric, for which he has not been charged.

"Arguably you sold your country out," said Sullivan.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/flynn-sen ... -1.4950454
What you have failed to mention is that the Judge later apologized to Flynn once he found out that Flynn stopped being a lobbyist in 2016 BEFORE the Trump Administration took office.

As far as Turkey goes WRT to Flynn I have no idea on that other to know it is not part of the Mueller investigation.
He apologized for suggesting treason, not for his characterization of the crime of lying to the federal agents. So, yes, I failed to mention something irrelevant.
You don't think it relavent The MSM has been broadcasting the "Treason" comment all day without mentioning the Judge apologized for making the comment. Also implied that Mueller found no Russian collusion related to Trump.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Post Reply