Doc wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 9:48 am
Sertorio wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 1:14 pm
Milo wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 12:15 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:25 am

I wouldn't, but it would be as stupid as unattainable, and China would definitely object... If you want a war with China, that might be the quickest way to get it... :twisted:
China is already at war with the rule of law in general. If it decides to start a shooting war because Canada follows the law, their true colours will be plain.
Common law may be common, but I wonder how much of it is law as an efficient instrument to achieve justice...
Not if you are communist thugs running a wannabe totalitarian government.
No developed country in Europe - besides the UK - uses common law in their judiciary. And I assure you that our courts provide justice a lot more often than the US or UK courts.
China would have us violate our law and international law to benefit a very wealthy Chinese citizen. How endorsing such attainder is just I have no idea.
it is a power struggle Milo. The PRC government wants to arrive at a situation globally where we can do whatever we like and to hell with your(foreign barbarian) rule of law.

neverfail

Re: My way or the Huawei!

Post by neverfail » Fri May 29, 2020 3:57 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 9:59 am
No developed country in Europe - besides the UK - uses common law in their judiciary. And I assure you that our courts provide justice a lot more often than the US or UK courts.
Not going by the complaints i have heard over the years by immigrants from those parts about the operation of both the Napoleonic code and Roman law.

Milo

Post by Milo » Sat May 30, 2020 2:28 pm

neverfail wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 3:57 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Not going by the complaints i have heard over the years by immigrants from those parts about the operation of both the Napoleonic code and Roman law.
It's not known as the "inquisitional" system for nothing!

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat May 30, 2020 2:48 pm

Milo wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 2:28 pm
neverfail wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 3:57 pm
Sertorio wrote:
It's not known as the "inquisitional" system for nothing!
:lol:

Yes, we use the adversarial system. I suspect that when Sertorio suggests that Continental law is better at delivering justice he really means that it is nore efficient at delivering convictions: not that it is fairer to all concerned.

Milo

Post by Milo » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:27 am

A truly barbaric way of conducting international affairs. I note Ms Meng, meanwhile, is free to live in a Vancouver mansion, which is presumably equipped with light switches and free of interrogators.
After 557 days of interrogation and incarceration in facilities where the lights are kept on day and night, Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor have been formally charged by Chinese authorities, accused of espionage – a crime punishable by life in prison.
The men have also not been allowed to see their lawyers. Visits can resume “after this situation gets better,” said Mr. Zhao, referring to the outbreak – even though Chinese officials have declared it under control.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau expressed displeasure Friday that China had laid charges against the two men, but would not say whether Ottawa planned to get tougher with Beijing.

“We are, of course, disappointed with the decision and the next step taken by the Chinese in the case of the two Michaels and we offer all of our support … to the families of Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor, who are obviously living a difficult moment,” he said.

Mr. Trudeau said Canada continues to protest the arbitrary arrests of the two men and is using a wide range of diplomatic measures, including enlisting the support of allies, to advocate for their release and return to Canada.

He said the difficulty is that China has linked their fate to the arrest of Ms. Meng and expects Ottawa to free her before anything can be done to help the two Canadians.

“We have highlighted that there is an independent judicial system in the case of Madame Meng under way in Canada and we will not … and must not and cannot interfere in the independence of our judiciary in this country,” he said. “The Chinese authorities have directly linked the case to the two Michaels to the judicial proceedings against Ms. Meng, which is extremely disappointing because, for us, there are obviously no links.”
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/a ... th-spying/

Milo

Full on hostage taking!

Post by Milo » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:29 am

Well there it is, as if anyone (but Sertorio) needed to hear it.

China has not only put a hostage swap on the table but they have realized it looked bad, so they are demonizing our media for reporting what they said!
The Chinese embassy also objected on Saturday to "misleading" Canadian media reports on comments by Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian.

Zhao said on Wednesday that the suspension of Meng's extradition process "could open up space for resolution to the situation of the two Canadians". The remarks were seen by many as tacit acknowledgement by Beijing that the fates of Kovrig and Spavor were tied to that of Meng, who has been under house arrest in Vancouver awaiting extradition proceedings.
https://www.msn.com/en-sg/news/world/ch ... r-BB161Uzi

Sertorio

Re: Full on hostage taking!

Post by Sertorio » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:52 am

Milo wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:29 am
Well there it is, as if anyone (but Sertorio) needed to hear it.

China has not only put a hostage swap on the table but they have realized it looked bad, so they are demonizing our media for reporting what they said!
The Chinese embassy also objected on Saturday to "misleading" Canadian media reports on comments by Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian.

Zhao said on Wednesday that the suspension of Meng's extradition process "could open up space for resolution to the situation of the two Canadians". The remarks were seen by many as tacit acknowledgement by Beijing that the fates of Kovrig and Spavor were tied to that of Meng, who has been under house arrest in Vancouver awaiting extradition proceedings.
https://www.msn.com/en-sg/news/world/ch ... r-BB161Uzi
It seems fair. A fake criminal case in exchange for another fake case...