Discussion of current events
Milo

Re: My way or the Huawei!

Post by Milo » Thu May 28, 2020 7:35 am

Sertorio wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:47 am
Milo wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 3:30 pm

“Ms. Meng’s appoach to the double-criminality analysis would be seriously limit Canada’s ability to fulfill its international obligations in the extradition context for fraud and other economic crimes.”
An interesting argument. The question is not whether what Ms. Meng did would be a crime in Canada, but whether deciding that it is not would prevent Canada from kowtowing to the US... :mrgreen:
Well, if you consider complying with extradition treaties as "kowtowing"?

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Thu May 28, 2020 8:34 am

Milo wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:35 am
Sertorio wrote:
Milo wrote:

“Ms. Meng’s appoach to the double-criminality analysis would be seriously limit Canada’s ability to fulfill its international obligations in the extradition context for fraud and other economic crimes.”
An interesting argument. The question is not whether what Ms. Meng did would be a crime in Canada, but whether deciding that it is not would prevent Canada from kowtowing to the US... :mrgreen:
Complying with any treaty with the US, which does not respect any treaty it has signed, is indeed kowtowing...

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu May 28, 2020 8:55 am

Sertorio wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:34 am
Milo wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
Milo wrote:

Complying with any treaty with the US, which does not respect any treaty it has signed, is indeed kowtowing...
Great !! If you really feel that way the US can recognize Taiwan as the legitimate government of China and you would have no problem with that.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Thu May 28, 2020 9:25 am

Doc wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:55 am
Sertorio wrote:
Milo wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
Milo wrote:

Great !! If you really feel that way the US can recognize Taiwan as the legitimate government of China and you would have no problem with that.
I wouldn't, but it would be as stupid as unattainable, and China would definitely object... If you want a war with China, that might be the quickest way to get it... :twisted:

Milo

Post by Milo » Thu May 28, 2020 12:15 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:25 am
Doc wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
Milo wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
Milo wrote:

I wouldn't, but it would be as stupid as unattainable, and China would definitely object... If you want a war with China, that might be the quickest way to get it... :twisted:
China is already at war with the rule of law in general. If it decides to start a shooting war because Canada follows the law, their true colours will be plain.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Thu May 28, 2020 1:14 pm

Milo wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 12:15 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Doc wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
Milo wrote:
Sertorio wrote:

China is already at war with the rule of law in general. If it decides to start a shooting war because Canada follows the law, their true colours will be plain.
Common law may be common, but I wonder how much of it is law as an efficient instrument to achieve justice...

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri May 29, 2020 9:48 am

Sertorio wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 1:14 pm
Milo wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
Doc wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
Milo wrote:

Common law may be common, but I wonder how much of it is law as an efficient instrument to achieve justice...
Not if you are communist thugs running a wannabe totalitarian government.

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Fri May 29, 2020 9:59 am

Doc wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 9:48 am
Sertorio wrote:
Milo wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
Doc wrote:
Sertorio wrote:

No developed country in Europe - besides the UK - uses common law in their judiciary. And I assure you that our courts provide justice a lot more often than the US or UK courts.

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri May 29, 2020 11:00 am

Sertorio wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 9:59 am
Doc wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
Milo wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
Doc wrote:

No developed country in Europe - besides the UK - uses common law in their judiciary. And I assure you that our courts provide justice a lot more often than the US or UK courts.
Europe is dominated by elitists so I highly doubt that is true in general WRT European countries.

Milo

Post by Milo » Fri May 29, 2020 1:45 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 9:59 am
Doc wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
Milo wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
Doc wrote:

China would have us violate our law and international law to benefit a very wealthy Chinese citizen. How endorsing such attainder is just I have no idea.