My way or the Huawei!

Discussion of current events
Milo

My way or the Huawei!

Post by Milo » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:26 am

China's Foreign Ministry on Wednesday denied knowledge of the detention of a former Canadian diplomat, a day after Chinese citizens rejoiced over a Canadian court's decision to release a top Huawei Technologies executive on bail.

Kovrig's detention comes in the wake of a diplomatic furor after Huawei Technologies' chief financial officer, Meng Wanzhou, was detained in Vancouver on Dec. 1 at the request of U.S. officials.

Huawei official Meng Wanzhou, arrested on a U.S. warrant, was released on $10 million bail

After three days of hearings, a British Columbia judge granted bail Tuesday of $10 million to Meng, but required her to wear an ankle bracelet, surrender her passports, stay in Vancouver and its suburbs and confine herself to one of her two Vancouver homes from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m.

The U.S. has accused Huawei of using a Hong Kong shell company to sell equipment to Iran in violation of American sanctions, another complication in relations between the superpowers amid their high-stakes U.S.-China trade talks.

Lu repeated China's demand for the immediate release of Meng, whose father founded Huawei, the Shenzhen-based leading telecommunications equipment maker. Huawei has strong connections to the Chinese government and military, has repeatedly denied allegations it is involved in spying.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/china- ... -1.4942301

This could be a great opportunity for China to learn about a country (mine) where rule of law is actually taken seriously.

Apparently they have arrested the Canadian in China and are issuing demands to our government because they actually think that will influence a sitting judge!

Doc

Re: My way or the Huawei!

Post by Doc » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:53 am

Milo wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:26 am
China's Foreign Ministry on Wednesday denied knowledge of the detention of a former Canadian diplomat, a day after Chinese citizens rejoiced over a Canadian court's decision to release a top Huawei Technologies executive on bail.

Kovrig's detention comes in the wake of a diplomatic furor after Huawei Technologies' chief financial officer, Meng Wanzhou, was detained in Vancouver on Dec. 1 at the request of U.S. officials.

Huawei official Meng Wanzhou, arrested on a U.S. warrant, was released on $10 million bail

After three days of hearings, a British Columbia judge granted bail Tuesday of $10 million to Meng, but required her to wear an ankle bracelet, surrender her passports, stay in Vancouver and its suburbs and confine herself to one of her two Vancouver homes from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m.

The U.S. has accused Huawei of using a Hong Kong shell company to sell equipment to Iran in violation of American sanctions, another complication in relations between the superpowers amid their high-stakes U.S.-China trade talks.

Lu repeated China's demand for the immediate release of Meng, whose father founded Huawei, the Shenzhen-based leading telecommunications equipment maker. Huawei has strong connections to the Chinese government and military, has repeatedly denied allegations it is involved in spying.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/china- ... -1.4942301

This could be a great opportunity for China to learn about a country (mine) where rule of law is actually taken seriously.

Apparently they have arrested the Canadian in China and are issuing demands to our government because they actually think that will influence a sitting judge!
China seems to want to be the elephant in the china shop.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:01 am

Is violating US boycot of Iran a crime in Canada?... Has Canada become just another US Marshall whose job is enforcing US legislation?... Is that what people call rule of law?...

Milo

Post by Milo » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:02 am

Sertorio wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:01 am
Is violating US boycot of Iran a crime in Canada?... Has Canada become just another US Marshall whose job is enforcing US legislation?... Is that what people call rule of law?...
The actual charge is fraud, which is both a civil wrong and covered by the Canadian Criminal Code.

The US only asked for detention so far and now has up to 60 days to submit a formal request for extradition. That request can be subject to a hearing as to whether the charge meets certain standards. I have not dealt with extradition but I believe the charge must pass the same test as any other: the "air of reality" test: it's a pretty low bar.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:20 am

Milo wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:02 am
Sertorio wrote:
The actual charge is fraud, which is both a civil wrong and covered by the Canadian Criminal Code.

The US only asked for detention so far and now has up to 60 days to submit a formal request for extradition. That request can be subject to a hearing as to whether the charge meets certain standards. I have not dealt with extradition but I believe the charge must pass the same test as any other: the "air of reality" test: it's a pretty low bar.
And if nothing comes out of it, Ms. Meng will have been subject to over 60 days of severe restriction of her freedom of movement, for no reason at all. Pretty weird rule of law, if you ask me...Will she then be entitled to compensation by the Canadian state?...

Milo

Post by Milo » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:43 am

Sertorio wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:20 am
Milo wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:02 am
Sertorio wrote:

And if nothing comes out of it, Ms. Meng will have been subject to over 60 days of severe restriction of her freedom of movement, for no reason at all. Pretty weird rule of law, if you ask me...Will she then be entitled to compensation by the Canadian state?...
A properly executed writ is not "no reason at all" nor "weird".

Its what they do in Portugal:
A Lisbon court has denied a US request for the extradition of American fugitive George Wright, his lawyer says.

Wright, 68, was under house arrest at his home near Lisbon, wearing an electronic tag that monitored his movements.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-15778384

She could get compensation, should she win suit:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/r ... -1.4208409

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:08 am

Milo wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:43 am

A Lisbon court has denied a US request for the extradition of American fugitive George Wright, his lawyer says.

Wright, 68, was under house arrest at his home near Lisbon, wearing an electronic tag that monitored his movements.
The whole procedure - from the moment he was arrested to the day he was reliesed - took less than three months and George Wright, contrarily to Ms. Meng, was not subject to any humiliating measures. It seems we compare favourably to Canada... :D

Milo

Post by Milo » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:44 am

Sertorio wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:08 am
Milo wrote:

The whole procedure - from the moment he was arrested to the day he was reliesed - took less than three months and George Wright, contrarily to Ms. Meng, was not subject to any humiliating measures. It seems we compare favourably to Canada... :D
Perhaps you should save your comparison for when this is over.

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:47 am

Market sees strong government support for Huawei’s 5G push
http://www.atimes.com/article/telecom-i ... hong-kong/

Looks like one rogue monkey in the State Department ain't gonna stop the show......'>.......
I have a certain notoriety among the lesser gods........

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:47 am

Milo wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:44 am
Sertorio wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:08 am
Milo wrote:

Perhaps you should save your comparison for when this is over.
You are right. But I don't think you will come out looking any better...