WWI

Discussion of current events
User avatar
Milo
Posts: 1508
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: WWI

Post by Milo » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:17 am


User avatar
Doc
Posts: 2214
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Cradle To Grave

Re: WWI

Post by Doc » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:20 pm

Jim the Moron wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:40 am
Just finished watching most of a network telecast of the ceremonies today in Paris. President Macron gave a pleasant speech that seemed to take its theme on the concept of hope. He took a couple of digs at Trump - did you catch the nationalism vs patriotism item?

Some nice music, ending with a familiar Ravel piece. The whole program was forgettable, but the French do this sort of thing nicely.
Unlike the Belgians with their flash Sax mobs and replacing flying monkeys with a woman.

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

User avatar
SteveFoerster
Posts: 1707
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:17 pm
Location: Northern Virginia, USA and Dominica, West Indies
Contact:

Re: Two lessons from WWI

Post by SteveFoerster » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:07 pm

neverfail wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:36 pm
Trump and Kaiser Wilhelm have something else in common too. Both by ancestral background were/are German protestants. Could that merely be coincidental?
Well... yes? I mean, unless you're implying that all those who descend from German protestants have these qualities, then it pretty much would be a coincidence.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

User avatar
Milo
Posts: 1508
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: WWI

Post by Milo » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:14 am

One can only find this behaviour Hitleresque.



neverfail
Posts: 2744
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am

Re: Two lessons from WWI

Post by neverfail » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:13 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:07 pm
neverfail wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:36 pm
Trump and Kaiser Wilhelm have something else in common too. Both by ancestral background were/are German protestants. Could that merely be coincidental?
Well... yes? I mean, unless you're implying that all those who descend from German protestants have these qualities, then it pretty much would be a coincidence.
No, I did not mean to imply anything of the sort Steve. Angela Merkel, also descended from German protestants, shows no such signs of mental disorder as Alexis pointed out in the cases of Kaiser Wilhelm and Donald Trump. I regret it if my uncharacteristically poor choice of words has misled any untutored reader to gain such an impression.

User avatar
Milo
Posts: 1508
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: Two lessons from WWI

Post by Milo » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:21 am

neverfail wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:13 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:07 pm
neverfail wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:36 pm
Trump and Kaiser Wilhelm have something else in common too. Both by ancestral background were/are German protestants. Could that merely be coincidental?
Well... yes? I mean, unless you're implying that all those who descend from German protestants have these qualities, then it pretty much would be a coincidence.
No, I did not mean to imply anything of the sort Steve. Angela Merkel, also descended from German protestants, shows no such signs of mental disorder as Alexis pointed out in the cases of Kaiser Wilhelm and Donald Trump. I regret it if my uncharacteristically poor choice of words has misled any untutored reader to gain such an impression.
WWI was sparked as much by Russian Orthodox Tsar Nicholas II.

And the totalitarian regimes that sparked WWII were spearheaded by Italian and Austrian Roman Catholics. Not to mention putatively Shinto Japanese.

neverfail
Posts: 2744
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am

Re: Two lessons from WWI

Post by neverfail » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:19 pm

Milo wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:21 am
neverfail wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:13 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:07 pm
neverfail wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:36 pm
Trump and Kaiser Wilhelm have something else in common too. Both by ancestral background were/are German protestants. Could that merely be coincidental?
Well... yes? I mean, unless you're implying that all those who descend from German protestants have these qualities, then it pretty much would be a coincidence.
No, I did not mean to imply anything of the sort Steve. Angela Merkel, also descended from German protestants, shows no such signs of mental disorder as Alexis pointed out in the cases of Kaiser Wilhelm and Donald Trump. I regret it if my uncharacteristically poor choice of words has misled any untutored reader to gain such an impression.
WWI was sparked as much by Russian Orthodox Tsar Nicholas II.

And the totalitarian regimes that sparked WWII were spearheaded by Italian and Austrian Roman Catholics. Not to mention putatively Shinto Japanese.
BY Italian and Austrian Catholic APOSTATES Milo. There is a difference.

As for WW!: Tsar Nicholas and Kaiser Wilhelm were both weak rulers both held in low regard by their respective military brass. In both cases the generals were able to call the shots. Tsar Nicholas' disastrous ploy of placing himself at the head of the armed forces might have well have been a move to regain control of his own armed forces.

User avatar
SteveFoerster
Posts: 1707
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:17 pm
Location: Northern Virginia, USA and Dominica, West Indies
Contact:

Re: Two lessons from WWI

Post by SteveFoerster » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:19 pm

neverfail wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:13 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:07 pm
neverfail wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:36 pm
Trump and Kaiser Wilhelm have something else in common too. Both by ancestral background were/are German protestants. Could that merely be coincidental?
Well... yes? I mean, unless you're implying that all those who descend from German protestants have these qualities, then it pretty much would be a coincidence.
No, I did not mean to imply anything of the sort Steve. Angela Merkel, also descended from German protestants, shows no such signs of mental disorder as Alexis pointed out in the cases of Kaiser Wilhelm and Donald Trump. I regret it if my uncharacteristically poor choice of words has misled any untutored reader to gain such an impression.
We here who know you surely knew that wasn't your intent. 8-)
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

neverfail
Posts: 2744
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am

Re: Two lessons from WWI

Post by neverfail » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:01 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:19 pm

We here who know you surely knew that wasn't your intent. 8-)
Thank you Steve!

Jim the Moron
Posts: 1076
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:51 pm

Re: Two lessons from WWI

Post by Jim the Moron » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:31 am

neverfail wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:01 am
SteveFoerster wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:19 pm

We here who know you surely knew that wasn't your intent. 8-)
Thank you Steve!
(Blush)

Post Reply