US Foreign Policy

Discussion of current events
neverfail

Re: US Foreign Policy

Post by neverfail » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:37 pm

Jim the Moron wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:36 am

The US need not be concerned about the UN or any other outfit devoted to "multilateral affairs." Rather, it should continue to maintain superior defensive capabilities. Good use of US military resources is the ongoing assistance to the folks in the Bahamas
Other powers, especially the emerging ones like China and Russia will take note of America's disdain for a rules based international order and do likewise. Do you not think that it will catch up with the USA eventually?

Just remember the 1930's when rogue states like Germany, Japan and Italy took it upon themselves to act unilaterally on what they defined as their national interests.

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:59 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:36 am
"The two most severe challenges to the multilateral order today are the relative decline of American power, and the emergence of China as a rival power to the US in global organisations . . . Over the last decade there has been an observable decline in America's capacity to shape multilateral affairs."

Say what? Please be aware that there are plenty of folks out there who don't believe that the US needs to be taken up by "multilateral affairs." That the European Council on Foreign Relations would like to see the US so involved is of course expected from folks who wish the US to do the dirty work for them.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/09/05/se ... ernational organization/

The US need not be concerned about the UN or any other outfit devoted to "multilateral affairs." Rather, it should continue to maintain superior defensive capabilities. Good use of US military resources is the ongoing assistance to the folks in the Bahamas
It would have been useful, neverfail, had you cited this in its entirety. Then, perhaps, your perceived "America's disdain for a rules based international order" would have been put into context. Rogue states? Was Poland a rogue state for unilaterally defending itself against Germany? Or China against Japan? Or Ethiopia against Italy?

Multilateral "agreements" such as the UN charter aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:28 am

Milo wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:10 pm
Jim the Moron wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:59 am
Finally, some evidence that there are now adults involved in forming US foreign policy. Imagine. America actually aiding an ally (gasp!) - in this instance the Kurds - rather than the devious Turks.

"Turkey's Syria plans face setbacks as Kurds see more US support"
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/wor ... 82160.html
I've long thought that an independents Kurdistan would be another Israel in the ME. The problem with getting support for it is there's always some short term interests that the existing ME states promise they will aid, as long as the Kurds and Israelis go under the bus. The Kurds do not have the benefit of a powerful lobby and a state that does billions in reliable trade with America though.
That's how things turned out. Everyone praising the Kurds, but abandoning them in their hours of need. Supporting the Turks because they're a supposed NATO ally? The fact that ME geopolitics is a cluster doesn't negate the fact that US foreign policy there sucked and continues to suck.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:54 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:59 am

Multilateral "agreements" such as the UN charter aren't worth the paper they're printed on.
If ever the UN disappears, you will realize how important it really was and how much more dangerous the world will be. Just because the UN is not perfect it doesn't mean it isn't important.

Doc

Post by Doc » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:13 pm

Jim the Moron wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:28 am
Milo wrote:
Jim the Moron wrote:
Finally, some evidence that there are now adults involved in forming US foreign policy. Imagine. America actually aiding an ally (gasp!) - in this instance the Kurds - rather than the devious Turks.

I've long thought that an independents Kurdistan would be another Israel in the ME. The problem with getting support for it is there's always some short term interests that the existing ME states promise they will aid, as long as the Kurds and Israelis go under the bus. The Kurds do not have the benefit of a powerful lobby and a state that does billions in reliable trade with America though.
That's how things turned out. Everyone praising the Kurds, but abandoning them in their hours of need. Supporting the Turks because they're a supposed NATO ally? The fact that ME geopolitics is a cluster doesn't negate the fact that US foreign policy there sucked and continues to suck.
The Kurd's are too divided.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Re: Trump in hot water over his betrayal of the Kurds.

Post by neverfail » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:54 pm

Trump says Kurds never helped US in WWII

https://www.smh.com.au/world/north-amer ... 52zd6.html

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What a specious excuse for an unmitigated foreign policy and political blunder.

Is this prick for real?

Do you wonder why US public opinion majorities now want him removed from office?

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:44 am

Doc wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:13 pm
Jim the Moron wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:28 am
Milo wrote:
Jim the Moron wrote:

The Kurd's are too divided.

The world-famous geopolitical analyst Jim the Moron needs to identify actions required:

1. Kick Turkey out of NATO.

2. Withdraw all US ground forces from W Asia and N Africa.

3. Target Turkish staging areas in and near Syria with well-packed cruise missiles.

So it is written.

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:53 am

"EU demands Turkey halts Syria operation as NATO chief urges restraint"
https://timesofisrael.com/eu-demands-tu ... restraint/

Wow. "EU demands." The Turks are shaking in their boots . . .

In the US, politicians across the political spectrum oppose adm-directed withdrawal from the area. We're talking about 1,000 troops, folks. Hot-shot EU troopers cannot fill the void?

"The [Turkish] assault has been sharply criticized by France and Germany." Well, what are they going to do about it, besides the usual rhetoric?

dagbay

Post by dagbay » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:22 pm

I think that Trump is right to allow Turkey to enter the fight on behalf of the Sun Arabs (and for its own...). The balance was destroyed with the removal of Saddam Husain of Iraq - a first class blunder of the US making. That allowed the Shia Arabs to take over and try to dominate the ME. Taking down ISIS (which went roge) made matters worse. The SuShi balance may be restored somewhat with Turkey who went in willingly. The most stable state is a balance between the two Muslim sects such that each of them keeps the other in check.
I'd rather be diving or flying alas for now I am on terra firma.

Doc

Post by Doc » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:47 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:53 am
"EU demands Turkey halts Syria operation as NATO chief urges restraint"
https://timesofisrael.com/eu-demands-tu ... restraint/

Wow. "EU demands." The Turks are shaking in their boots . . .

In the US, politicians across the political spectrum oppose adm-directed withdrawal from the area. We're talking about 1,000 troops, folks. Hot-shot EU troopers cannot fill the void?

"The [Turkish] assault has been sharply criticized by France and Germany." Well, what are they going to do about it, besides the usual rhetoric?
Maybe the french should get the guy from Monty Python to negotiate for them
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros