Re: US Foreign Policy

Post by Jim the Moron » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:34 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:01 pm
Jim the Moron wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:00 am
Sertorio wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:24 am

While the writer may be right about the difficulties of Eastern European countries (psychologically) catching up with the rest of Europe, it's just a matter of time until they find out they also are European, and that Russia is really no threat to any of them. There are problems in Europe, and the economic and political challenges may need a lot of work to be solved, but things are nevertheless moving. For instance, nobody gives a damn anymore about the country of origin of any of the people filling up the top positions in the EU. The trouble with Ursula von der Leyen is not that she is German, but that she is too conservative. The President of the Eurogroup (the countries belonging to the euro) is a Portuguese, and nobody gave a damn about that. If we finally create an European army, nobody will give a damn about the nationality of its generals. Our universities are full of students coming from all the other European countries, and that has helped us to realize that the intellectual quality of people has nothing to do with their nationality. Some people still stick to stereotypes, but they are a minority. There may be obstacles to the creation of a politically united Europe, but they are much smaller than they used to be. Sooner or later we will find a model of political union which will be acceptable to the vast majority of Europeans.

Quite a reasonable exposition, Sertorio. Hope springs eternal, etc. But not to worry. neverfail will counter with either Trump bad bad or Australia good good. Meanwhile, we hope for the best for Europe.
:o Oh Jim! How could I possibly find it within myself to find fault with such an inspiring, plausible load of waffle like that which Sertorio has just presented us with? :lol:

Really, n'fail? You are going to dismiss Sertorio's thoughtful post with a silly-assed one-liner? At least give him the courtesy of citing a few specific examples of where he is, in your view, in error.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:15 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:34 pm
neverfail wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:01 pm
Jim the Moron wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:00 am
Sertorio wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:24 am

While the writer may be right about the difficulties of Eastern European countries (psychologically) catching up with the rest of Europe, it's just a matter of time until they find out they also are European, and that Russia is really no threat to any of them. There are problems in Europe, and the economic and political challenges may need a lot of work to be solved, but things are nevertheless moving. For instance, nobody gives a damn anymore about the country of origin of any of the people filling up the top positions in the EU. The trouble with Ursula von der Leyen is not that she is German, but that she is too conservative. The President of the Eurogroup (the countries belonging to the euro) is a Portuguese, and nobody gave a damn about that. If we finally create an European army, nobody will give a damn about the nationality of its generals. Our universities are full of students coming from all the other European countries, and that has helped us to realize that the intellectual quality of people has nothing to do with their nationality. Some people still stick to stereotypes, but they are a minority. There may be obstacles to the creation of a politically united Europe, but they are much smaller than they used to be. Sooner or later we will find a model of political union which will be acceptable to the vast majority of Europeans.

Quite a reasonable exposition, Sertorio. Hope springs eternal, etc. But not to worry. neverfail will counter with either Trump bad bad or Australia good good. Meanwhile, we hope for the best for Europe.
:o Oh Jim! How could I possibly find it within myself to find fault with such an inspiring, plausible load of waffle like that which Sertorio has just presented us with? :lol:

Really, n'fail? You are going to dismiss Sertorio's thoughtful post with a silly-assed one-liner? At least give him the courtesy of citing a few specific examples of where he is, in your view, in error.
Thanks for your comments, Jim. The trouble with Neverfail - and a few others around here - is that he has decided a long time ago that he knows everything about Europe and the Europeans, and anything which disturbs his beliefs is seen as waffle...Being in the middle of it I see important changes in Europe, although not yet deep enough to take us where we should be. Hopefully, the departure of Britain from the EU may create more opportunities for Europe to unite and become a positive influence in the world. Maybe the US will then decide it is time to focus on its own problems, and leave the rest of us in peace.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:58 am

Sertorio wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:15 am

Thanks for your comments, Jim. The trouble with Neverfail - and a few others around here - is that he has decided a long time ago that he knows everything about Europe and the Europeans, and anything which disturbs his beliefs is seen as waffle...Being in the middle of it I see important changes in Europe, although not yet deep enough to take us where we should be. Hopefully, the departure of Britain from the EU may create more opportunities for Europe to unite and become a positive influence in the world. Maybe the US will then decide it is time to focus on its own problems, and leave the rest of us in peace.
But Sertorio, the contents of your post caused me no emotional disturbance at all. I found it quite a pleasant, entertaining read. Did I not say as much? :D

Given by the way Europe has progressed towards unity to date: manifest in the creation of a monstrous, non-elected and apparently non-accountable bureaucracy based in Brussels (which is what the British public were reacting against when they voted for BREXIT); if the EU continues to chase the mirage of organic and structural unity along that path Europe will end up being unbearable to live in.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:02 am

neverfail wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:58 am
Sertorio wrote:

But Sertorio, the contents of your post caused me no emotional disturbance at all. I found it quite a pleasant, entertaining read. Did I not say as much? :D

Given by the way Europe has progressed towards unity to date: manifest in the creation of a monstrous, non-elected and apparently non-accountable bureaucracy based in Brussels (which is what the British public were reacting against when they voted for BREXIT); if the EU continues to chase the mirage of organic and structural unity along that path Europe will end up being unbearable to live in.
Fortunately for you, you will not be required to bear it... And we, who live in Europe, will make it in such a way as to make it quite bearable... Which will be easier without the presence of the agents of American interests in Europe... :D

Doc

Post by Doc » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:30 am

Sertorio wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:02 am
neverfail wrote:
Sertorio wrote:

Fortunately for you, you will not be required to bear it... And we, who live in Europe, will make it in such a way as to make it quite bearable... Which will be easier without the presence of the agents of American interests in Europe... :D
Well you know we would just colonize Europe as revenge for all its colonizing in the past. But it is just so old and needs a lot of work...
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:53 am

Doc wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:30 am
Sertorio wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:02 am
neverfail wrote:
Sertorio wrote:

Well you know we would just colonize Europe as revenge for all its colonizing in the past. But it is just so old and needs a lot of work...

Too little too late. Another colonial power - militant Islam - has beaten the US to the punch.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:31 am

How the US would like to see the world...

:lol:

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:40 am

UN lambasts the USA
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/as ... 4#cxrecs_s

"The sanctions announced on Tuesday were the strongest censure yet from a western power . . ." Perhaps the useless UN might inveigle other "western powers" to follow America's lead on this. But, no, it's more politically correct to dump on the US "for not going far enough."

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:21 pm

Jim the Moron wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:40 am
UN lambasts the USA

"The sanctions announced on Tuesday were the strongest censure yet from a western power . . ." Perhaps the useless UN might inveigle other "western powers" to follow America's lead on this. But, no, it's more politically correct to dump on the US "for not going far enough."
In this case it is neither "politically correct" nor "dumping on the US" to state the obvious Jim.

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:09 am

neverfail wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:21 pm
Jim the Moron wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:40 am
UN lambasts the USA

In this case it is neither "politically correct" nor "dumping on the US" to state the obvious Jim.
And what do you see as being "the obvious," neverfail? For anyone viewing this matter impartially, it is "obvious" that folks at the useless UN are unwilling to acknowledge US leadership in this matter.