US Foreign Policy

Discussion of current events
Mr. Perfect

Re: US Foreign Policy

Post by Mr. Perfect » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:48 pm

Lol you don't know anything about US politics.

They are 0-81 on scandals and 0-21 on impeachment attempts. He is steamrolling them.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:36 am

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:48 pm

They are 0-81 on scandals and 0-21 on impeachment attempts. He is steamrolling them.
Trump is floundering about making a fool both of himself and the USA. Meantime everyone else, including Republicans in Congress, seem to be doing their utmost to steer this overgrown 2 year old infant away from leading the USA down into utter catastrophe; and truly have their work cut out for them.

To cheer on a nincompoop like this one would normally require either a complete fool or an utter scoundrel.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:17 am

I wonder whether we are not underestimating Trump...

Lately I have come to think that Trump realized that he is against the whole American oligarchy - both Democratic and Republican, and including the military -, and that his deepest feelings, which is bringing Americans back to America, and with all the money saved trying to solve America's problems, are facing a concerted opposition. The American Nomenklatura / Deep State are dead set against that idea, and are trying their utmost to destroy Trump to prevent it happening.

If you look at everything Trump is doing, whether on trade or on North Korea or on the military pursuits in the ME, you see that he is creating faits accomplis which are forcing America into an increased isolation, no matter what the Deep State thinks. At the same time he is antagonizing all America's friends and allies in a way that will push them away from the US. A hegemon can only be successful as long as it keeps vassal states and more or less willing allies. Without such a network of relationships, the hegemonic efforts will fail. By antagonizing those countries, Trump will make sure that the Deep State will not be able to preserve the hegemon status of the US. The trade wars being prepared, and the relationship with North Korea are two of the best examples of how Trump is trying to shortcircuit the power of the Deep State. I don't know whether he can be successful, but if it starts looking as if he is going to succeed, I fear he will not live much longer. Sooner or later someone will order him killed.

In this context, it will be interesting to see what happens in Helsinki, on July 16th. If Trump recognizes Russia's sovereignty over Crimea, and cancels sanctions against Russia, it will be a sign that my presumption above may be right. By doing that, Trump will leave Europe without the means to continue its policies in respect of Russia. Europe will have to deal with Russia and will be further estranged from the US. If I'm right, then I think Trump is a very brave person indeed, and maybe also very foolish...

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:03 am

Yes, it appears that "Trump is trying to shortcircuit the power of the Deep State." One doesn't have to be an admirer of Trump as a person in order to appreciate his accomplishments.

Here's something similar:

"The Left needs to face reality: Trump is winning"
https://nypost.com/2018/06/30/the-left- ... s-winning/

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:58 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:21 am
Are you naive enough to think that the Syrian regime would change if al-Assad were to die? He has a brother, Maher al-Assad, who is a general and the commander of the Republican Guard. You may be sure that he would continue his brother's fight for the liberation of Syria.
Right, because if anyone is going to "liberate" a people, it would be the next person from the family of dictators who have ruled them since 1970. :roll:
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:02 pm

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:30 pm
Not exactly, this is the origin of the concept in the US. It started as a liberal idea like the Military Industrial Complex.
Ike Eisenhower was a liberal? :?

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:27 pm

neverfail wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:36 am
Mr. Perfect wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:48 pm

Trump is floundering about making a fool both of himself and the USA. Meantime everyone else, including Republicans in Congress, seem to be doing their utmost to steer this overgrown 2 year old infant away from leading the USA down into utter catastrophe; and truly have their work cut out for them.

To cheer on a nincompoop like this one would normally require either a complete fool or an utter scoundrel.
Lol if you call 4% GDP growth, the best economic numbers in almost 30 years while everyone in Asia including Australia are praising his actions in Korea are floundering then hopefully we can flounder forever.

Who knows, maybe your narrative is right though.

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:28 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:02 pm
Mr. Perfect wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:30 pm
Not exactly, this is the origin of the concept in the US. It started as a liberal idea like the Military Industrial Complex.
Ike Eisenhower was a liberal? :?

Find anyone other than Pat Buchanan or a Rand that signed onto the idea, then count how many liberals believe in it.

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:51 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:17 am
I wonder whether we are not underestimating Trump...

Lately I have come to think that Trump realized that he is against the whole American oligarchy - both Democratic and Republican, and including the military -, and that his deepest feelings, which is bringing Americans back to America, and with all the money saved trying to solve America's problems, are facing a concerted opposition. The American Nomenklatura / Deep State are dead set against that idea, and are trying their utmost to destroy Trump to prevent it happening.

If you look at everything Trump is doing, whether on trade or on North Korea or on the military pursuits in the ME, you see that he is creating faits accomplis which are forcing America into an increased isolation, no matter what the Deep State thinks. At the same time he is antagonizing all America's friends and allies in a way that will push them away from the US. A hegemon can only be successful as long as it keeps vassal states and more or less willing allies. Without such a network of relationships, the hegemonic efforts will fail. By antagonizing those countries, Trump will make sure that the Deep State will not be able to preserve the hegemon status of the US. The trade wars being prepared, and the relationship with North Korea are two of the best examples of how Trump is trying to shortcircuit the power of the Deep State. I don't know whether he can be successful, but if it starts looking as if he is going to succeed, I fear he will not live much longer. Sooner or later someone will order him killed.

In this context, it will be interesting to see what happens in Helsinki, on July 16th. If Trump recognizes Russia's sovereignty over Crimea, and cancels sanctions against Russia, it will be a sign that my presumption above may be right. By doing that, Trump will leave Europe without the means to continue its policies in respect of Russia. Europe will have to deal with Russia and will be further estranged from the US. If I'm right, then I think Trump is a very brave person indeed, and maybe also very foolish...
Close but not quite. Trump is merely pursuing American interests and not special interests.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:16 pm

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:27 pm
Lol if you call 4% GDP growth, the best economic numbers in almost 30 years
In 2017 the U.S. economy's GDP growth was 2.3%: http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik ... story.html

Not that it matters. The president doesn't control the economy, so it's not actually Trump's fault growth was so-so. Nor would it be to his credit if by some miracle it had been 4% per annum, or is in the future. (Which it isn't.)