US Foreign Policy

Discussion of current events
neverfail

Re: US Foreign Policy

Post by neverfail » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:52 am

Sertorio wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:01 am
... My number one concern in international affairs is cutting the US down to size.
Leave that to the Americans Sertorio. They are the only ones who can bring America undone.

I refer you to my discussion in Pundits of Interest - Spengler titled President trump moves to Navarro-Navarro land.

Quote from Spengler's latest essay in the Asia Times =

There is not a word in Navarro’s report, nor indeed in any other utterance by the Trump Administration, about American policies to promote innovation, investment, and scientific education. It is less a program than a pout by a soon-to-be-surpassed superpower in decline.

It is worth reading in full.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:48 am

Sertorio wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:30 am
Jim the Moron wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:06 am
I think we can all agree on one thing. Portugal will beat Iran in their forthcoming World Cup match. Go Portugal!
I hope so, but surprises do occur...
I'm sure it's no surprise which team I'm supporting this time around. :D

It's the only country in the World Cup where we have students, so it was an easy choice.
Steve Super Eagles Square.jpg
Steve Super Eagles Square.jpg (126.52 KiB) Viewed 13848 times
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:16 am

TWO VIEWS OF THE PUTIN/TRUMP SUMMIT
by Paul Craig Roberts

The meeting that the Deep State strived to make impossible with fabricated “Russiagate” assertions and an orchestrated “investigation” by Mueller has now been set in place by no less than Deep State neocon operative John Bolton. Patrick Lang explains how this came about: https://russia-insider.com/en/politics/ ... it/ri23950

Many see benefits from the Putin/Trump meeting. For example: https://www.strategic-culture.org/news/ ... ummit.html

Putin himself sees benefits in the meeting as does Trump. Putin sees hope of improving relations between the two governments. Of course, the “strained relations” are entirely due to Washington, which has demonized both Russia and Putin with false accusations and hostile acts such as illegal sanctions. It was miscalculation for Washington to expect Russia to give up its Black Sea naval base to Washington’s coup in Ukraine.

What can an agreement be based on? Bolton’s position has been opposed to making any agreement with Russia or cooperating with Russia in any way. From the neoconservative standpoint, Russia is in the way of US world hegemony. As the neoconservative foreign policy doctrine states, it is a principle US goal to prevent the rise of any country that could serve as a check on American unilateralism. Russia is a challenge to the American World Order because Russia stands in the way of the American unipolar world.

A successful summit will require Trump to reject this neoconservative doctrine. If Trump can pull this off with Bolton sitting by him, Trump’s critics will look very silly. Do Bolton and the Deep State have a way of baking failure into the summit that will ensure the continuation of Russia’s enemy status, thereby sustaining the enormous budget and power of the US military/security complex? Is Trump a superman who can overcome this powerful vested interest about which President Eisenhower warned Americans in 1961? How much stronger is this complex more than half a century later after being nourished by decades of Cold War and War on Terror?

Assad and no doubt Iran are convinced that negotiations with Washington are a waste of time. Assad has concluded that “the problem with US presidents is that they are hostage to lobbyists. They can tell you what you want to hear, but they do the opposite. That’s the problem, and it’s getting worse and worse. Trump is a stark example. That’s why when talking to the Americans, discussing something with them does not settle anything. There will not be any results. It’s a simple waste of time.” https://www.fort-russ.com/2018/06/assad ... e-of-time/

Assad’s view has the evidence on its side. One of Trump’s first actions was to unilaterally pull out of the multi-nation Iran nuclear agreement. There is no evidence that supports the hopeful Russian view.

It would be an interesting exercise to list all the agreements Washington has made over the course of US history and to calculate the percentage that Washington kept. If Putin doesn’t want to be taken for a ride, he should contemplate the words of Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce summing up his negotiations with Washington: “I have heard talk and talk, but nothing is done. I am tired of talk that comes to nothing. It makes my heart sick when I remember all the good words and broken promises.”
Could Trump really want peace? And if he does, can he overcome the Deep State's resistence?...

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:04 am

"Could Trump really want peace? And if he does, can he overcome the Deep State's resistance?" (Sertorio)

Probably all US politicians not mired in Deep State muck would welcome peace. Whether any are capable enough, or flexible enough, to negotiate a fair peace . . . well, that remains to be seen.

So, the butcher Assad is "convinced that negotiations with Washington are a waste of time." Hopefully the feeling is mutual, and the question is resolved someday by means of a well-directed cruise missile up Assad's ass.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:21 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:04 am
"Could Trump really want peace? And if he does, can he overcome the Deep State's resistance?" (Sertorio)

Probably all US politicians not mired in Deep State muck would welcome peace. Whether any are capable enough, or flexible enough, to negotiate a fair peace . . . well, that remains to be seen.

So, the butcher Assad is "convinced that negotiations with Washington are a waste of time." Hopefully the feeling is mutual, and the question is resolved someday by means of a well-directed cruise missile up Assad's ass.
Are you naive enough to think that the Syrian regime would change if al-Assad were to die? He has a brother, Maher al-Assad, who is a general and the commander of the Republican Guard. You may be sure that he would continue his brother's fight for the liberation of Syria.

Bashar's assassination would change Syria as much as Trump's assassination would change the US political system...

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:35 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:21 am
Jim the Moron wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:04 am

Are you naive enough to think that the Syrian regime would change if al-Assad were to die? He has a brother, Maher al-Assad, who is a general and the commander of the Republican Guard. You may be sure that he would continue his brother's fight for the liberation of Syria.

Bashar's assassination would change Syria as much as Trump's assassination would change the US political system...
I have no illusions regarding Syria, or for that matter, the entire Islamic Middle East. It will be one barbarian succeeding another, for the foreseeable future.

Milo

Post by Milo » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:20 pm

Why is anyone asking about peace? We are not at war.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:00 am

Would someone please explain to me what this deep state is or supposed to be? American contributors to this website frequently bandy this term about but to me it looks more like a baseless conspiracy theory - the sort of thing that parents might have once used to shock naughty kids into being better behaved.

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:13 am

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:16 am

Milo wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:20 pm
Why is anyone asking about peace? We are not at war.
Depends on who are "we." Things are not so pleasant in Syria.