Discussion of current events
Sertorio

Re: US Foreign Policy

Post by Sertorio » Sat May 05, 2018 10:22 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 9:26 am
Sertorio wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 3:29 am
I know most of you don't like The Saker and his opinions, but you will find it worthwhile reading the following analysis which he has just published:
The Warmakers
THE SAKER • MAY 5, 2018

http://www.unz.com/tsaker/the-warmakers/
Yes, the usual hyperbolic anti "AngloZionist Empire" discourse from The Saker. It's (as usual for him) to first attribute motives ("plans") by the "Empire," and then document the perceived failure of these plans to date. He holds everything together by including a few facts here and there.
He may not be perfect, but he makes a lot more sense than those who contradict him. And he certainly helps us understanding the mess the US has made in the ME, and why. Had the US been less willing to let itself be manipulated by Israel, and maybe the ME would now be a lot more peaceful.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Sat May 05, 2018 2:42 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 10:22 am
Jim the Moron wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
I know most of you don't like The Saker and his opinions, but you will find it worthwhile reading the following analysis which he has just published:
The Warmakers
THE SAKER • MAY 5, 2018

Yes, the usual hyperbolic anti "AngloZionist Empire" discourse from The Saker. It's (as usual for him) to first attribute motives ("plans") by the "Empire," and then document the perceived failure of these plans to date. He holds everything together by including a few facts here and there.
He may not be perfect, but he makes a lot more sense than those who contradict him. And he certainly helps us understanding the mess the US has made in the ME, and why. Had the US been less willing to let itself be manipulated by Israel, and maybe the ME would now be a lot more peaceful.
That you can read the first paragraph of that sort of thing and somehow still think it's journalism speaks rather poorly of your judgment.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sat May 05, 2018 4:32 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 2:42 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 10:22 am
Jim the Moron wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
The Warmakers
THE SAKER • MAY 5, 2018

That you can read the first paragraph of that sort of thing and somehow still think it's journalism speaks rather poorly of your judgment.
It's not journalism. it is analysis. The Saker was a defense analist for some Swiss organization, when he was living in Europe.

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Wed May 09, 2018 5:24 am

We hear that the folks in the Iranian parliament are hopping around burning various objects while they chant "death to America." It seems that the US has decided to do what is best for the US ref Iran's nuclear plans. Sorry about that.

It is understood that so-called allies and other such rif-raf are thoroughly pissed that the Americans are doing what they believe is best for Americans.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Wed May 09, 2018 6:54 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 5:24 am

It is understood that so-called allies and other such rif-raf are thoroughly pissed that the Americans are doing what they believe is best for Americans.
If Americans (how many, how educated?...) believe they are doing what is best for them, then I'm afraid they are in need of a lot more information and education. Not to say, brains... Isn't it telling that apparently only some Americans, some Israelis, and our friend Cass seem to think that denouncing the nuclear treaty with Iran was a good thing?...

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Wed May 09, 2018 8:29 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
We hear that the folks in the Iranian parliament are hopping around burning various objects while they chant "death to America." It seems that the US has decided to do what is best for the US ref Iran's nuclear plans. Sorry about that.

Please. What would best for most Americans would be a non-interventionist approach to the region. If Iran is such a threat to Israel and Saudi Arabia, let them handle their own problems, rather than remain entangled in the unresolvable sectarian conflicts of the Middle East.

(Although, to be fair, I suppose it is in the interest of Americans who work for or own stock in "defense" contractors. So there's that.)
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Wed May 09, 2018 3:48 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 8:29 am
Jim the Moron wrote:

Please. What would best for most Americans would be a non-interventionist approach to the region. If Iran is such a threat to Israel and Saudi Arabia, let them handle their own problems, rather than remain entangled in the unresolvable sectarian conflicts of the Middle East.

(Although, to be fair, I suppose it is in the interest of Americans who work for or own stock in "defense" contractors. So there's that.)
Not sure that participation in multi-national treaty enactments (or the abrogation of same) constitutes intervention.

Milo

Post by Milo » Wed May 09, 2018 11:24 pm

Trump has exchanged a bad agreement with Iran for no agreement.

Now he makes threats in order to keep Iran from doing what the agreement already kept them from doing.

Of course his base loves it, because they voted for belicosity over trade in the first place.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Wed May 09, 2018 11:49 pm

Milo wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 11:24 pm
Trump has exchanged a bad agreement with Iran for no agreement.

Now he makes threats in order to keep Iran from doing what the agreement already kept them from doing.
But the Iranians cannot be trusted to live up to their side of the bargain. They are most likely cheating. That is why the US or the iAEA are not allowed to inspect Iranian weapons site. If they had no intentions to cheat, then they should be open to inspection.

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Thu May 10, 2018 6:31 am

"Does the EU have what it takes to stand up to US sanctions?"
http://www.france24.com/en/20180509-ira ... pean-firms

Wish I knew . . .