Discussion of current events
SteveFoerster

Re: The Syria War

Post by SteveFoerster » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:26 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:03 am
dagbay wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:42 pm

Assad is fighting the rebels a few miles from his home with chlorine liquid and gas bombs decimating the population while the Russians are leveling the buildings on their inhabitants.
Prove it, if you can. And no statements by CNN, The Economist, The Guardian, The Wall Street Journal or the White Helmets may be considered reliable proof... Solid evidence, please!...
...says the guy who routinely posts overt propaganda from RT and SouthFront....
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:40 pm

Jim the Moron wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:23 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:08 pm
Jim the Moron wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:44 pm
Neither the Turks nor Assad have anything "good" in mind for the Kurds.
Assad will be able to integrate Kurds in Syria, maybe under some sort of local self-governement.
". . . under some sort of local self-government"

There has never been a Turkish, Arab, or Iranian government accepting of Kurdish self-government. An independent Kurdistan is the goal.
So true Jim. Turks, Arabs and Iranians might have their mutual emnitys but they will all join forces to come down on top of the Kurds.

Poor Sertorio! The eternal optimist.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:06 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:26 pm
Sertorio wrote:
dagbay wrote:

Assad is fighting the rebels a few miles from his home with chlorine liquid and gas bombs decimating the population while the Russians are leveling the buildings on their inhabitants.
Prove it, if you can. And no statements by CNN, The Economist, The Guardian, The Wall Street Journal or the White Helmets may be considered reliable proof... Solid evidence, please!...
It's not the propaganda aspect that interests me, it is the presentation of news, occurences or ideas which the western media refuses to publish... One thing I absolutely hate is the one-sidedness of the western media.

Milo

Post by Milo » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:53 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:06 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
dagbay wrote:

It's not the propaganda aspect that interests me, it is the presentation of news, occurences or ideas which the western media refuses to publish... One thing I absolutely hate is the one-sidedness of the western media.
I know, the Western media's obsession with stories not approved by Putin must rankle you.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:37 am

Milo wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:53 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:06 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
dagbay wrote:

I know, the Western media's obsession with stories not approved by Putin must rankle you.
You are a lot smarter than that! Why do you insist on trying to prove otherwise?... :D

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:59 pm

Palaver in Sochi

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinio ... 08397.html

Worthwhile analysis. If you would prefer not to read the entire article, the last two paragraphs sum things up nicely.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:32 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:59 pm
Palaver in Sochi

Worthwhile analysis. If you would prefer not to read the entire article, the last two paragraphs sum things up nicely.
A bit one sided, to say the least...

The fact is that the armed opposition to Bashar al-Assad is about to be defeated, and therefore cannot impose its views on any political settlement. Having lost, they must be happy with whatever is offered to them. Which is a relative democratization of the Syrian regime, with relatively free elections. Bashar al-Assad will very probably retain power, but in a less absolute manner. The opposition will win enough seats in Parliament to give it a chance to a future electoral victory. Minorities will be better protected and a relatively free economy will give most people the chance to a proper living standard. That's more than most ME countries have now. So, why not?...

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:48 am

Sertorio wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:32 am
Jim the Moron wrote:
Palaver in Sochi

The fact is that the armed opposition to Bashar al-Assad is about to be defeated, and therefore cannot impose its views on any political settlement. Having lost, they must be happy with whatever is offered to them. Which is a relative democratization of the Syrian regime, with relatively free elections. Bashar al-Assad will very probably retain power, but in a less absolute manner. The opposition will win enough seats in Parliament to give it a chance to a future electoral victory. Minorities will be better protected and a relatively free economy will give most people the chance to a proper living standard. That's more than most ME countries have now. So, why not?...
You're right that the opposition can't win. But unfortunately, everything after that is a fantasy scenario.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:14 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:48 am
Sertorio wrote:
Jim the Moron wrote:
Palaver in Sochi

You're right that the opposition can't win. But unfortunately, everything after that is a fantasy scenario.
I think it is a very likely scenario...

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:24 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:14 am
SteveFoerster wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:48 am
Sertorio wrote:
Jim the Moron wrote:
Palaver in Sochi

I think it is a very likely scenario...
Yes, I'm sure you do.