David Goldman on Russia and the US

Discussion of current events
User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 1754
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

David Goldman on Russia and the US

Post by Sertorio » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:17 am


neverfail
Posts: 2501
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am

Re: bumbling Donald does it again.

Post by neverfail » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:38 pm

I have read it and responded to a discussion in the PUNDITS OF INTEREST section of this website on this very topic inaugurated by Izzy. It is just a pity that bumbling Donald spoiled his own triumph by (in effect) throwing his intelligence agencies under the bus at that joint press conference - understandably raising a hue and cry across the United States and abroad.

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 2287
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: David Goldman on Russia and the US

Post by cassowary » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:15 am

Sertorio wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:17 am
Please read. Brilliant!...

http://www.atimes.com/article/trump-is- ... th-russia/
My view is that Putin cannot be trusted. Trump is naive to think he can get along with Putin. At most, they can only co-operate on things of common interests - like deterring China. How about an US-Russia mutual defence treaty? So Europe must be prepared. It has the resources to defend itself. So it must build up its armed forces. I believe in Vegetius' maxim:

"He who desires peace must prepare for war."

What this means is that strength deters attacks. Weakness invites it.

The US should not waste resources to defend Europe because the Europeans are rich enough to do it by themselves. They should remain in NATO but cut its troop commitment in Europe. This will force the European to increase their defense spending. The US should redeploy to Asia where the main threat to democracy lies.

neverfail
Posts: 2501
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am

Re: David Goldman on Russia and the US

Post by neverfail » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:39 am

This is only the start. If Goldman is right then Trump has laid the foundations for a much more normal, indeed amicable, relationship between the US and Russia. But we must wait and see how the two leaders build upon those foundations. A lot can still go wrong.

Could the Kremlin be wooed away from its collaborative alliance with China? Will it now lay off the Baltic States, Poland Ukraine etc. seeing now that NATO is not an encroaching threat? If it all comes about then Trump may have conferred a real boon on the world at large.

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 2287
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: David Goldman on Russia and the US

Post by cassowary » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:29 am

neverfail wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:39 am
This is only the start. If Goldman is right then Trump has laid the foundations for a much more normal, indeed amicable, relationship between the US and Russia. But we must wait and see how the two leaders build upon those foundations. A lot can still go wrong.

Could the Kremlin be wooed away from its collaborative alliance with China? Will it now lay off the Baltic States, Poland Ukraine etc. seeing now that NATO is not an encroaching threat? If it all comes about then Trump may have conferred a real boon on the world at large.
If Putin studies the history of China, he will notice that China's borders expands when they are strong and contracts when they are weak. Russia, under the Czars captured 1.5 million square km of land belonging to the Qing empire.

Image

China will want it back.

The green, purple and orange coloured areas were taken by Russia in unequal treaties.

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 2287
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

China's changing borders through the centuries

Post by cassowary » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:39 am


User avatar
SteveFoerster
Posts: 1554
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:17 pm
Location: Northern Virginia, USA and Dominica, West Indies
Contact:

Re: David Goldman on Russia and the US

Post by SteveFoerster » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:33 am

cassowary wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:29 am
China will want it back.

The green, purple and orange coloured areas were taken by Russia in unequal treaties.
Interesting, I didn't know the Chinese used to hold Sakhalin.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 1754
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: bumbling Donald does it again.

Post by Sertorio » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:44 am

neverfail wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:38 pm
I have read it and responded to a discussion in the PUNDITS OF INTEREST section of this website on this very topic inaugurated by Izzy. It is just a pity that bumbling Donald spoiled his own triumph by (in effect) throwing his intelligence agencies under the bus at that joint press conference - understandably raising a hue and cry across the United States and abroad.
I wouldn't be too surprised if the US intelligence agencies have been giving false information to Trump in order to further their bellicose positions, as war is a situation a lot more interesting for the intelligence community than peace.

Jim the Moron
Posts: 977
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:51 pm

Re: bumbling Donald does it again.

Post by Jim the Moron » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:26 am

Sertorio wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:44 am
neverfail wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:38 pm
I have read it and responded to a discussion in the PUNDITS OF INTEREST section of this website on this very topic inaugurated by Izzy. It is just a pity that bumbling Donald spoiled his own triumph by (in effect) throwing his intelligence agencies under the bus at that joint press conference - understandably raising a hue and cry across the United States and abroad.
I wouldn't be too surprised if the US intelligence agencies have been giving false information to Trump in order to further their bellicose positions, as war is a situation a lot more interesting for the intelligence community than peace.
Wouldn't be the first time false information was given by intelligence agencies to a president in order to further bellicose positions. Think Vietnam/LBJ.

User avatar
Milo
Posts: 1395
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: David Goldman on Russia and the US

Post by Milo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:25 pm

Trump has accused virtually everyone of lying but he believes Putin, someone who had every reason to lie; funny thing that.

Post Reply