Exit the United Nations?

Discussion of current events

Should we stay in the United Nations?

Yes, exit the U.N., I'm an American
7
58%
Yes, exit the U.N., I'm not an American
0
No votes
Don't care one way or another.
1
8%
No, stay in the U.N., I'm an American
0
No votes
No, stay in the U.N., I'm not an American
4
33%
 
Total votes: 12

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 2372
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: Exit the United Nations?

Post by cassowary » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:00 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:19 am
"Robert Mugabe made 'goodwill ambassador' by World Health Organisation"
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10 ... anisation/

Well, why not? (blush)
He turned the breadbasket of Africa into a basket case. I think he needs to win the goodwill of his own people first.

Jim the Moron
Posts: 1015
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:51 pm

Re: Exit the United Nations?

Post by Jim the Moron » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:26 am

"UN General Assembly Elects More Brutal Regimes to Join Sham Human Rights Council"
https://canadafreepress.com/article/un- ... -rights-co

". . . this travesty of an organization."

". . . a table for tyrants."

neverfail
Posts: 2573
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am

Re: Robert Mugabe as black superman?

Post by neverfail » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:35 pm

cassowary wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:00 am
Jim the Moron wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:19 am
"Robert Mugabe made 'goodwill ambassador' by World Health Organisation"
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10 ... anisation/

Well, why not? (blush)
He turned the breadbasket of Africa into a basket case. I think he needs to win the goodwill of his own people first.
Oh yes! But before he did that he and his ZANU insurgents brought white minority rule to an end in Rhodesia. St. George in black shining armour mounted on his black charger slaying the white supremacy dragon.

In the eyes of the other leaders of black Africa that probably makes Mugabe real crash-hot-shit. His image as hero of black emancipation overrides his subsequent record of mismanagement and ruination to the point where all sins are pardonable.

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 2372
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

A Flawed Hero

Post by cassowary » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:57 am

neverfail wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:35 pm
cassowary wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:00 am
Jim the Moron wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:19 am
"Robert Mugabe made 'goodwill ambassador' by World Health Organisation"
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10 ... anisation/

Well, why not? (blush)
He turned the breadbasket of Africa into a basket case. I think he needs to win the goodwill of his own people first.
Oh yes! But before he did that he and his ZANU insurgents brought white minority rule to an end in Rhodesia. St. George in black shining armour mounted on his black charger slaying the white supremacy dragon.

In the eyes of the other leaders of black Africa that probably makes Mugabe real crash-hot-shit. His image as hero of black emancipation overrides his subsequent record of mismanagement and ruination to the point where all sins are pardonable.
Every nationality needs heroes to inspire the people and ggive them an example for emulation. i suppose the Zimbabweans got Mugabe. Since that is the best they got i dont have much hope for their future.

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 2372
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Know a people from their heroes

Post by cassowary » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:16 am

Singaporeans got LKY. Americans got Washington. Russians got Peter the Great. The Chinese got their emperors. Muslims got their Propher.

So Singaporeans got a hard edge realism that cits through fluffy sentimentalities. Americans aspire to spread freedom and democracy as what Washington wrested from the British. Putin wsnts to be another empire builder like Peter. Xi wants to be like the ancient emperors who saw themselves as the rightfull leader of the world where other nations must kowtow to. Osama bin Laden wanted to be like his Prophet; a 7 th century terrorist who wanted Islam to dominate the world.

User avatar
SteveFoerster
Posts: 1616
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:17 pm
Location: Northern Virginia, USA and Dominica, West Indies
Contact:

Re: Know a people from their heroes

Post by SteveFoerster » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:33 am

cassowary wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:16 am
Americans aspire to spread freedom and democracy as what Washington wrested from the British.
Washington was certainly a seminal figure in American history, but is far overrated as a defender of liberty, and not just because he was a slaveholder. The Iroquois referred to Washington as "Townburner" because of his atrocities during the American Revolution, and he took to the field personally to lead troops to put down the "Whisky Rebellion" revolt against oppressive taxes. He was much more like Hamilton than Jefferson, favouring a strong central government.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 1830
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Know a people from their heroes

Post by Sertorio » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:29 am

cassowary wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:16 am
Singaporeans got LKY. Americans got Washington. Russians got Peter the Great. The Chinese got their emperors. Muslims got their Propher.

So Singaporeans got a hard edge realism that cits through fluffy sentimentalities. Americans aspire to spread freedom and democracy as what Washington wrested from the British. Putin wsnts to be another empire builder like Peter. Xi wants to be like the ancient emperors who saw themselves as the rightfull leader of the world where other nations must kowtow to. Osama bin Laden wanted to be like his Prophet; a 7 th century terrorist who wanted Islam to dominate the world.
Your vision of Americans is pure fantasy. Ask Native Americans...

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 2372
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: Know a people from their heroes

Post by cassowary » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:57 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:29 am
cassowary wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:16 am
Singaporeans got LKY. Americans got Washington. Russians got Peter the Great. The Chinese got their emperors. Muslims got their Propher.

So Singaporeans got a hard edge realism that cits through fluffy sentimentalities. Americans aspire to spread freedom and democracy as what Washington wrested from the British. Putin wsnts to be another empire builder like Peter. Xi wants to be like the ancient emperors who saw themselves as the rightfull leader of the world where other nations must kowtow to. Osama bin Laden wanted to be like his Prophet; a 7 th century terrorist who wanted Islam to dominate the world.
Your vision of Americans is pure fantasy. Ask Native Americans...
Those countries under American protection and tutelage eg Western Europe, Japan, S Korea and Taiwan all became prosperous democracies.

neverfail
Posts: 2573
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am

Re: Know a people from their heroes

Post by neverfail » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:37 pm

cassowary wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:16 am
Singaporeans got LKY.
When I first saw that on my screen I thought that it was shorthand for 'lucky'.

(LKY = LuCkY. So Singaporeans got LuCkY :lol: )

:idea: Well, you may see the two meanings as one and the same? ;) :)

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 1830
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Know a people from their heroes

Post by Sertorio » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:24 am

neverfail wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:37 pm
cassowary wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:16 am
Singaporeans got LKY.
When I first saw that on my screen I thought that it was shorthand for 'lucky'.

(LKY = LuCkY. So Singaporeans got LuCkY :lol: )

:idea: Well, you may see the two meanings as one and the same? ;) :)
Funny that some people - like Cass - condemn Putin for being a "dictator" and praise LKY for being a "dictator"... :twisted:

Post Reply