33%

Total votes: 12

Milo

Re: Exit the United Nations?

Post by Milo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:03 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Milo wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:
Milo wrote:What would be ideal is a club of countries that meet certain standards of human rights, that would then exercise control over the countries that didn't!

IOW, decolonialization was a huge mistake, or at least the haste of it.
Because if any set of organisations in human history met high standards of human rights, it was European colonia.... ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Darn it, almost made it to the end....
Oh true but compare them to Idi Amino, Bokassa, Khmer Rouge, Saddam Hussein, Stalin, Mao...
Leopold II compares with the worst of them. And HIM Haile Selassie I was pretty enlightened for his time.
Instead of cutting all the colonies loose so quickly I would have instituted a program of gradual devolution. Of course that was politically impossible but I think it would have been much better for all.
That's kind of what happened in a lot of cases. At least in the West Indies, there were local parliaments long before there was independence. Typical sequence was a local legislature that took on more and more things, eventually the country was independent but kept the Queen as figurehead and the Privy Council in London as the court of highest appeal, and now there's a Caribbean Court of Justice that's recently replaced the Privy Council.

Many independent countries still have the Queen, Dominica ditched her on independence and Trinidad ditched her a while after independence. And the region still has a few UK overseas territories that are mostly self-governing, even though they participate fully in the Caribbean Community regional bloc and the OECS sub-regional bloc. So it's still sort of a spectrum across the region.

Actually, you (and others here) may appreciate a book by Donald Westlake called Under an English Heaven. It's a humorously written account of Anguilla's revolt in which they succeeded at forcing the British NOT to give them independence. It's a shame that it's out of print, but used copies are out there. Worth it.
You are speaking of the British decolonialization as far as I can tell, I think you'll find the other powers much less thorough.

Alexis

Post by Alexis » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:34 pm

When I answered the poll, I took "we" as signifying my country, that is France in my case. Even if the US were to leave the UN, I don't think we should.

The UN has a limited role, but it is a positive one. It was born of grand cloudy dreams by Americans - chiefly Roosevelt - but it is now a concrete if rather modest reality, which is good for all countries. If America was to choose the exit door, there would be no reason to dismantle it.

That being said, I don't think the US are going to leave any time soon. If they did, they would lose all influence on what takes place here, and that's really not in their interest. I can't see even an American nationalist wanting that.

I would even say: especially not an American nationalist. :)

Alexis

The Club

Post by Alexis » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:38 pm

Milo wrote:What would be ideal is a club of countries that meet certain standards of human rights, that would then exercise control over the countries that didn't!

Interesting idea.

One question though: do you include China in your list of "countries that meet certain standards of human rights"? Or do you see China more as one of the countries that "control" is exercised upon?

Same question I'm afraid regarding Russia.

There are interesting ideas. There also is reality.

Milo

Re: The Club

Post by Milo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:31 pm

Alexis wrote:

Interesting idea.

One question though: do you include China in your list of "countries that meet certain standards of human rights"? Or do you see China more as one of the countries that "control" is exercised upon?

Same question I'm afraid regarding Russia.

There are interesting ideas. There also is reality.
Neither Russia nor China.

Alexis

Re: The Club

Post by Alexis » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:56 am

Milo wrote:Neither Russia nor China.
Then good luck controlling them! :lol:

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:02 pm

"United Nations Elects Saudi Arabia to Women's Rights Commission"

http://www.breitbart.com/jerusalem/2017 ... ommission/

". . . at least five European Union member states" voted for Saudi Arabia.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:35 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:02 pm

What an abomination. If people on the left really cared about human rights they'd be at the forefront of calling for the dissolution of the UN.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

Milo

Post by Milo » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:09 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:35 am
Jim the Moron wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:02 pm

What an abomination. If people on the left really cared about human rights they'd be at the forefront of calling for the dissolution of the UN.
The UN is a relatively low cost talking shop. I can't get very excited about it being silly and hypocritical, in fact that shows it's fulfilling its purpose.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:35 pm

Cost is relative. The US pays $8 billion a year to have the likes of Saudi Arabia watching over women's rights. Is that considered cheap? Or a waste of money?

Booklady

Post by Booklady » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:20 pm

cassowary wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:35 pm
Cost is relative. The US pays $8 billion a year to have the likes of Saudi Arabia watching over women's rights. Is that considered cheap? Or a waste of money?
The UN is a lunatic asylum, where the patients run the show. Totally ineffective, and for the U.S. too darned expensive.
A saucer of cream will do for me, thank you for your kindness.