US-China: the hardcore is yet to come

Discussion of current events
Mr. Perfect

Re: US-China: the hardcore is yet to come

Post by Mr. Perfect » Tue May 14, 2019 11:20 am

Trump has done marvelous things for the US economy.

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect » Tue May 14, 2019 11:20 am

Sertorio wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 3:37 am
Mr. Perfect wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 7:45 pm
neverfail wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 11:21 pm
https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/05/artic ... t-to-come/

The Trump administration’s response to China’s emergence has been to throw all sorts of spanners in the works, but tariffs won’t bring back manufacturing jobs.
Tariffs have worked for the Chinese, they will work for us.
Some tariffs may work, for some time, for not so developed countries. For the US to use them is a sign of economic incompetence. And tariffs never help overcoming incompetence...
The previous 20 years has been the incompetence, starting with Clinton. Trump is fixing it.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Tue May 14, 2019 3:11 pm

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:20 am
Sertorio wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:
neverfail wrote:

The Trump administration’s response to China’s emergence has been to throw all sorts of spanners in the works, but tariffs won’t bring back manufacturing jobs.
Some tariffs may work, for some time, for not so developed countries. For the US to use them is a sign of economic incompetence. And tariffs never help overcoming incompetence...
The previous 20 years has been the incompetence, starting with Clinton. Trump is fixing it.
Re-introducing high tariffs is a sign of insecurity and an admission of failure. Trump is more likely driving yet one more nail into the coffin of American preeminence.

Doc

Post by Doc » Tue May 14, 2019 7:07 pm

neverfail wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 3:11 pm
Mr. Perfect wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:
neverfail wrote:

Re-introducing high tariffs is a sign of insecurity and an admission of failure. Trump is more likely driving yet one more nail into the coffin of American preeminence.
The Trade deficit with China is the number one reason he ran for POTUS. He has consitently talked about it for 30 years. He is not going to back down. Because backing down will be the coffin of American preeminence(as you put it)
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Doc

Post by Doc » Tue May 14, 2019 7:08 pm

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:
neverfail wrote:

More like 30 years Clinton was elected in 1992
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Re: blaming it all on China is a witch hunt.

Post by neverfail » Wed May 15, 2019 2:41 am

Doc wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:07 pm

The Trade deficit with China is the number one reason he ran for POTUS. He has consitently talked about it for 30 years. He is not going to back down. Because backing down will be the coffin of American preeminence(as you put it)
Doc, I have pointed out before on this website that the current account defects that the US normally runs (China is not the only country yours runs adverse trade balances with by any means) is due to the fact that it routinely runs sizeable surpluses in its capital account.

Was it means is that the $US is perennially valued in 4x terms far higher than its actual economic performance can justify. This means that simultaneously a lot of potential US exports are priced out of the global market while imported goods (including goods that compete with US import substitute industries) are attractively cheap.

This has cemented the US into a permanent state of current account defect - year after tear.

You can blame the creation of rust belt regions of closed down factories and mills; of high unemployment and hopelessness on that rather than alleged Chinese perfidy. I know this to be true because this creeping de-industrialization of the United States began in the 1970's : years before the PRC even started out as a serious global exporter of manufactured products.

Trump is barking up the wrong tree if he imagines that high tariffs are the solution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... nt_balance

Doc

Post by Doc » Wed May 15, 2019 5:14 am

neverfail wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 2:41 am
Doc wrote:

Doc, I have pointed out before on this website that the current account defects that the US normally runs (China is not the only country yours runs adverse trade balances with by any means) is due to the fact that it routinely runs sizeable surpluses in its capital account.

Was it means is that the $US is perennially valued in 4x terms far higher than its actual economic performance can justify. This means that simultaneously a lot of potential US exports are priced out of the global market while imported goods (including goods that compete with US import substitute industries) are attractively cheap.

This has cemented the US into a permanent state of current account defect - year after tear.

You can blame the creation of rust belt regions of closed down factories and mills; of high unemployment and hopelessness on that rather than alleged Chinese perfidy. I know this to be true because this creeping de-industrialization of the United States began in the 1970's : years before the PRC even started out as a serious global exporter of manufactured products.

Trump is barking up the wrong tree if he imagines that high tariffs are the solution.

Most of the people in the rust belt that lost their jobs moved elsewhere 40 years ago. The rust belt buildings were all torn down about the same time. 50,000 factories moving to China in the last 20 years is not the same thing and it was intentionally done by US ruling elites because they made a huge amount of money doing it.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Wed May 15, 2019 11:27 am

Doc wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 5:14 am
neverfail wrote:
Doc wrote:

Most of the people in the rust belt that lost their jobs moved elsewhere 40 years ago. The rust belt buildings were all torn down about the same time. 50,000 factories moving to China in the last 20 years is not the same thing and it was intentionally done by US ruling elites because they made a huge amount of money doing it.
As far as I know the ruling elites in the US vote Republican and support Trump... :D

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Wed May 15, 2019 6:02 pm

Doc wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 5:14 am
neverfail wrote:
Doc wrote:

Is not making money in China better than going broke in the USA; due to the combined effect of unprofitable returns on investments (high production costs) along with competitive pressures from rival suppliers?

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect » Thu May 16, 2019 5:36 pm

neverfail wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 3:11 pm
You are completely wrong.