The "Good" Censor: Google decides it can no longer support free speech

Discussion of current events
Doc

The "Good" Censor: Google decides it can no longer support free speech

Post by Doc » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:51 pm

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2018/10/ ... -civility/

‘THE GOOD CENSOR’: Leaked Google Briefing Admits Abandonment of Free Speech for ‘Safety And Civility’

https://www.scribd.com/document/3905216 ... from_embed
The Good Censor - GOOGLE LEAK
Uploaded by Allum Bokhari
A leaked Google briefing in which the company admits a "shift towards censorship" in Silicon Valley.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

SteveFoerster

Re: The "Good" Censor: Google decides it can no longer support free speech

Post by SteveFoerster » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:00 am

In the spirit of "voice and exit", if it's clear that ordinary people have no voice when it comes to what Google, Facebook, and other large Internet corporations do, then where's the exit? What alternative search options are practical that are committed to neutrality? Which browser would one use other than Chrome? Which online productivity suites other than GSuite? What social media networks would one use other than Facebook and Twitter?
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:23 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:00 am
In the spirit of "voice and exit", if it's clear that ordinary people have no voice when it comes to what Google, Facebook, and other large Internet corporations do, then where's the exit? What alternative search options are practical that are committed to neutrality? Which browser would one use other than Chrome? Which online productivity suites other than GSuite? What social media networks would one use other than Facebook and Twitter?

duckduckgo.com for a search engine. As far as social media goes there agreement with the government is that they face no liability for what is posted on there sites by users AS LONG AS THEY ARE A PASS THROUGH MEDIUM. Clearly editing and deleting content is not a pass through. So what I am hoping is someone will start a class action lawsuit...
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:29 am

Doc wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:23 am
duckduckgo.com for a search engine.
Do you know what their revenue model is? Do you use it, and if so is it a good one?
Doc wrote:
As far as social media goes there agreement with the government is that they face no liability for what is posted on there sites by users AS LONG AS THEY ARE A PASS THROUGH MEDIUM. Clearly editing and deleting content is not a pass through. So what I am hoping is someone will start a class action lawsuit...
What will happen is that the Feds and/or EU will shake them down, fine them a ton of money, and after that it will be business as usual, just like the Microsoft antitrust case in the '90s.

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:56 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:29 am
Doc wrote:
duckduckgo.com for a search engine.
Do you know what their revenue model is? Do you use it, and if so is it a good one?
They don't do tracking and it is the search engine recommended by Tor. Apparently they have a differ model than other search engines.
Doc wrote:
As far as social media goes there agreement with the government is that they face no liability for what is posted on there sites by users AS LONG AS THEY ARE A PASS THROUGH MEDIUM. Clearly editing and deleting content is not a pass through. So what I am hoping is someone will start a class action lawsuit...
What will happen is that the Feds and/or EU will shake them down, fine them a ton of money, and after that it will be business as usual, just like the Microsoft antitrust case in the '90s.
I believe that by the nature of their agreement with the US Government they can be sued by anyone Though don't quote me on that. The only reason they have been able to get away with their outrageous behavior is they spend lots of money on congress. Which leads me again to my feeling that:
2izfdh.jpg
2izfdh.jpg (143.15 KiB) Viewed 3382 times

seekingfortruth

Post by seekingfortruth » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:07 pm

To Steve:
Which browser would one use other than Chrome?
Firefox, Brave, Opera, Vivaldi, Safari...
What social media networks would one use other than Facebook and Twitter?
As I expect you to have more serious business than a 14-YO, I suggest LinkedIn. Far better than Facebook.

Milo

Post by Milo » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:12 pm

Google never said it would support free speech.

Even if it did, it has no obligations to do so.

This is your free enterprise world Doc, enjoy!

seekingfortruth

Post by seekingfortruth » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:13 pm

To Steve:
To tell the truth, there is one reason to use Chrome : Google Earth works only with Chrome.
Also, if you're using a chromebook, uninstalling Chrome may not be a good idea.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:32 pm

seekingfortruth wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:07 pm
To Steve:
It's been a while since I used Firefox, but I could consider it again. I'm not a fan of Safari.
seekingfortruth wrote:
To tell the truth, there is one reason to use Chrome : Google Earth works only with Chrome.
Also, if you're using a chromebook, uninstalling Chrome may not be a good idea.
It's funny that you say that, since I had a Chromebook once and installed Linux on it.
seekingfortruth wrote:
What social media networks would one use other than Facebook and Twitter?
As I expect you to have more serious business than a 14-YO, I suggest LinkedIn. Far better than Facebook.
Well yes, and I'm on LinkedIn. And I'll stay there, at least until they too start acting in a heavy handed way towards their users like Facebook is.

I meant for personal networking. At this point a Mastodon instance seems most plausible to me.

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:25 pm

Milo wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:12 pm
Google never said it would support free speech.

Even if it did, it has no obligations to do so.

This is your free enterprise world Doc, enjoy!
Google then has no expectation that it will not be sued for liable for what others post on its sites. But they do because they are supposed to be protect as a "pass through" service. BY LAW. If they aren't a pass through service then why are they protected from liable suits?