UAE Enters The Ring.......

Look At Those Cave Men Go
lzzrdgrrl

UAE Enters The Ring.......

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:32 am

UAE makes history as Al-Amal arrives at Mars for two-year mission

The United Arab Emirates made history Tuesday, 9 February as they became the first Arab nation and only the second nation in history to succeed in placing a spacecraft into Martian orbit on their very first attempt.

The Al-Amal probe, which translates to “Hope” in English, began its 27-minute Mars Orbit Insertion burn at 15:30 UTC, (10:30 Eastern time in the United States). The burn placed the craft into an initial 40-hour, 1,000 x 49,380 km capture orbit of the Red Planet.
https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2021/02 ... l-arrival/

Women lead way in UAE mission to the red planet
Mars project chief tells of the empowerment the launch has given the Arab state's scientists and engineers

Of particular note is the leadership provided by Sarah al-Amiri. She is the Emirati Minister of State for Advanced Sciences, chair of the UAE Space Agency and the United Arab Emirates Council of Scientists, and deputy project manager of the Emirates Mars Mission.
https://asiatimes.com/2021/02/women-lea ... ed-planet/
I have a certain notoriety among the lesser gods........

neverfail

Re: UAE Enters The Ring.......

Post by neverfail » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:02 pm

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:32 am

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2021/02 ... l-arrival/

Women lead way in UAE mission to the red planet
Mars project chief tells of the empowerment the launch has given the Arab state's scientists and engineers

Of particular note is the leadership provided by Sarah al-Amiri. She is the Emirati Minister of State for Advanced Sciences, chair of the UAE Space Agency and the United Arab Emirates Council of Scientists, and deputy project manager of the Emirates Mars Mission.
As a good Muslim woman Sarah (I notice) is keeping her hair covered with a veil in line with Islamic teaching on the importance of female modesty. :) Modern science meets the Middle Ages?

Ellen

Post by Ellen » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:55 pm

With all due respect to the UAE, and they deserve the respect for leading the way to normalization with Israel, they are still behaving like a typical Arab oil state. They throw money at everything that moves.

How much of this spacecraft did the Emiratis (or mainly, their guest worker population) actually develop and build? From what I have read, it was built in the US with US technology and workers, and was sent into space from a Japanese launching pad. Actually, the Saudis did the same thing a few years ago. They paid the French to build a satellite and it was sent into space from a French launching pad in the Caribbean.

Both of these escapades remind me of the way each of these countries fights wars. They hire mercenaries who do all the fighting, under a Saudi/Emirati flag with Saudi/Emirati uniforms. The head of the UAE mercenary army (supposedly quite a good one, as these things go) is an Australian.

I do believe, though, that the UAE is trying to break out of the mold of failing Arab states that have no internal capacity to build anything or to contribute to science and advancement. They wasted 70 years fighting and paying for wars, at first against little Israel, and when they couldn't succeed there they turned to fighting each other, and now Iran. Generally, they have failed at all military ventures. Even in an Arab vs Arab war, no one wins; it ends up as MAD (mutually assured destruction) with an eventual truce due to exhaustion, with no long-term gain for either side. This is what the UAE is now parting company with, which explains their accord with Israel.

Whether they can ever become a productive modern country, with a sense of nationhood, is an open question. Main problem - they have only 1 million citizens. All the remaining 5-6 million are expats. They just passed a law to give citizenship to talented expats who contribute a lot to the society. How many of these expats will actually be given citizenship, and will they be accepted in a very tribal, Muslim society? I don't know, but it seems dubious.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:15 pm

Ellen wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:55 pm
Both of these escapades remind me of the way each of these countries fights wars. They hire mercenaries who do all the fighting, under a Saudi/Emirati flag with Saudi/Emirati uniforms. The head of the UAE mercenary army (supposedly quite a good one, as these things go) is an Australian.
:lol: It seems that in the UAE they have an eye for quality. :D