Mars 2020

Look At Those Cave Men Go
Sertorio

Mars 2020

Post by Sertorio » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:05 pm

It's done! The craft has landed safely on Mars, in a most amazing performance! Congratulations to NASA!

To think that the craft could land directly, without the need for a parking orbit, is most extraordinary!

COOL!...

Doc

Re: Mars 2020

Post by Doc » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:07 am

Sertorio wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:05 pm
It's done! The craft has landed safely on Mars, in a most amazing performance! Congratulations to NASA!

To think that the craft could land directly, without the need for a parking orbit, is most extraordinary!

COOL!...
NASA has done this for a long time. I think the first was in 1997. Unless there is a reason to have an orbiting probe direct is the way to go if you know where you want to land. The Chinese probe went into orbit more to act as a communication relay from the surface back to earth. Plus do other remote research.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:10 am

NASA’s rover marks new era of Mars exploration
Perseverance explorer makes picture-perfect landing on the Red Planet after 300-million-mile, six-month journey

A NASA rover streaked through the orange Martian sky and landed on the planet Thursday, accomplishing the riskiest step yet in an epic quest to bring back rocks that could answer whether life ever existed on Mars. Credit: NASA.
“This landing is one of those pivotal moments for NASA, the United States, and space exploration globally — when we know we are on the cusp of discovery and sharpening our pencils, so to speak, to rewrite the textbooks,” said acting NASA Administrator Steve Jurczyk.
https://asiatimes.com/2021/02/nasas-rov ... ploration/
I have a certain notoriety among the lesser gods........

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:37 pm

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:10 am
Perseverance explorer makes picture-perfect landing on the Red Planet after 300-million-mile, six-month journey

A NASA rover streaked through the orange Martian sky and landed on the planet Thursday, accomplishing the riskiest step yet in an epic quest to bring back rocks that could answer whether life ever existed on Mars. Credit: NASA.
:lol: NASA "rover"? Appropriate name. It looks like a robotic dog.

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:46 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:37 pm
:lol: NASA "rover"? Appropriate name. It looks like a robotic dog.
Time to get busy. Meanwhile, Curiosity's own planetfall recording:

I have a certain notoriety among the lesser gods........

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:32 am

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:10 am

“This landing is one of those pivotal moments for NASA, the United States, and space exploration globally — when we know we are on the cusp of discovery and sharpening our pencils, so to speak, to rewrite the textbooks,” said acting NASA Administrator Steve Jurczyk.
https://asiatimes.com/2021/02/nasas-rov ... ploration/
If the US were run by NASA I would be one of the US greatest fans... ;)