Syriously, Turkey has goosed the USA.

neverfail

Re: Syriously, Turkey has goosed the USA.

Post by neverfail » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:44 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:43 am
neverfail wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:18 am
SteveFoerster wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:38 pm
Doc wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:23 pm
The Pakistan government did not intend accomplish anything in the tribal areas. Bin Laden was a few hundred feet from the Pakistan military academy for years and did nothing about it. That say more about how the Pakistan feels about radical Islam than anything else.
Agreed.
Not Pakistan (the nation) so much as their military intelligence: which functions like a state within a state - a law unto itself. If you could visualise the CIA running the United States making your elected government irrelevant?
Well, it's not "my" government, but yes, I can visualise that easily, since I don't really see that as far from the actual situation.
Yep, Pakistan in my opinion is the shambles of a state. However, ever bear in mind that Pakistan's fear and loathing of neighbouring India knows no bounds (and the feeling is mutual from the Indian side). That is the dominant fact that propels Pakistan's foreign policy. Pakistan is a staunch ally of the PRC because India and China have disputed borderland in the Himalayas that keeps them apart. So Pakistan teams up with China for geostrategic insurance against its bigger south Asian neighbour.

The fact that Pakistan has this rogue government agency backing the Taliban does not seem to bother the Chinese. As long as it does not feed support to China's own (Muslim) Uighur minority in their Xinjiang Autonomous Region, I don't believe that Beijing could care less.