David Goldman: Will China overtake the U.S. as the world's leading superpower?

SteveFoerster

Re: David Goldman: Will China overtake the U.S. as the world's leading superpower?

Post by SteveFoerster » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:35 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:01 pm
"China graduating twice as many doctorates in STEM fields than we are"
http://www.breitbart.com/radio/2018/03/ ... ds-we-are/
The quality of such graduates is not considered to be as high, though. Don't get me wrong, I fully agree that China's making good moves here, but the raw number of STEM PhD graduates is a misleading statistic.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

Milo

Re: David Goldman: Will China overtake the U.S. as the world's leading superpower?

Post by Milo » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:32 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:35 am
Jim the Moron wrote:
The quality of such graduates is not considered to be as high, though. Don't get me wrong, I fully agree that China's making good moves here, but the raw number of STEM PhD graduates is a misleading statistic.
Yes I have met Asians who studied english for years and cannot speak it.

Communism always falls victim to empty quotas.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:43 pm

Milo wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:32 am
SteveFoerster wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:35 am
Jim the Moron wrote:
Yes I have met Asians who studied english for years and cannot speak it.

Communism always falls victim to empty quotas.
More likely it reflects the ambition of students to get pass marks in a subject for which they personally have no private passion invested.

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:33 pm

Pessimism grows as trade groups make last-ditch effort to convince Trump administration not to slap more tariffs on China
When told by business owners who rely on imports of Chinese-made shipping containers that there are no other practical sources of the essential product, one official asked whether the wide range of industries that use the containers, including the US military, could simply buy used ones that have been discarded in the US. The panelist tried his best to explain how the pace of growth in various industries would make that impossible.
http://www.atimes.com/article/at-hearin ... ignorance/
I have a certain notoriety among the lesser gods........

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:47 pm

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:33 pm
Pessimism grows as trade groups make last-ditch effort to convince Trump administration not to slap more tariffs on China
When told by business owners who rely on imports of Chinese-made shipping containers that there are no other practical sources of the essential product, one official asked whether the wide range of industries that use the containers, including the US military, could simply buy used ones that have been discarded in the US. The panelist tried his best to explain how the pace of growth in various industries would make that impossible.
While those tax cuts allegedly speeded up the growth of the US economy, the tariffs seem destined to slow it down again.

The Trump giveth and the Trump taketh away. Blessed be the name of Trump! :cry:

Milo

Post by Milo » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:54 am

neverfail wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:47 pm
lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:33 pm
While those tax cuts allegedly speeded up the growth of the US economy, the tariffs seem destined to slow it down again.

I think a large part of this growth must be the overseas tax holiday. We'll see how things go as we get further from that one-off.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:43 pm

Milo wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:54 am
neverfail wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:47 pm

I think a large part of this growth must be the overseas tax holiday. We'll see how things go as we get further from that one-off.
Well put! The trouble with the online Donald Trump cheer squad on this website is that they all seem to belong to the instant gratification generation who anticipate immediate satisfaction in all things: including the consequences of fiscal policy. But you probably understand as I do that you need to take a much more long term view of things to understand how political economy works.

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:59 pm

Investment patterns are shifting in response to America’s new assertiveness

The European and Chinese response to the Turkish financial crisis—long in the making but exacerbated by American sanctions – shows how fast economic alliances are shifting. I have warned of Turkey’s descent into near-bankruptcy since 2014, and reiterated this warning on several occasions prior to the collapse of Turkey’s lira this summer. On August 10, when the crisis struck with full force, I argued in this newspaper that China would buy up Turkey on the cheap.
http://www.atimes.com/article/europe-ja ... gainst-us/

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:45 am

I read that too Izz. Can you see a US sanctions fiasco in the making too?

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:13 am

Yeah, in that the Administration uses sanctions as a bargaining tool to force a negotiation point which may have some relevance to why sanctions were instigated in the first place, but not really. Before the Trump presidency this was called 'flip-flopping' or such, but nothing like a coherent 'policy' was ever offered to begin with. Markets will weary of this incessant chaos and we'll take it right in the CPI.......'>........