"'Only he deserves freedom as well as life who must conquer them every day'"

lzzrdgrrl

"'Only he deserves freedom as well as life who must conquer them every day'"

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:37 am

Xi Jinping’s Faustian moment

For a century after its completion in 1832, Faust commanded the attention of the whole literary world. Samuel Taylor Coleridge published a partial translation in 1821, and Percy Shelley tried his hand at a few scenes. The most influential Victorian critic, Matthew Arnold, took it for granted that Goethe was the greatest writer after Shakespeare.

The malign influence of T S Eliot, not to mention the Anglo-Saxon aversion to Germany after two world wars, buried Goethe’s reputation in the English-speaking world, and today it is unusual to meet Americans who know the work. That is a pity, because Faust may be the best window that Western analysts have into the mind of the world’s most powerful man.
https://asiatimes.com/2021/07/xi-jinpin ... an-moment/

This essay and another one appears to be sliding into the memory hole for the position D.P. Goldman seems to be taking which is pro-China not because he favours them, but because they are getting it right.......

A culture with no particular attachment to either Christian culture or the Enlightenment yet takes those accomplishments seriously is arrayed against a Western civilisation that hates herself and wants to die. Is it burglary when the scavenger picks up the silver tossed out the window by the heirs of a priceless estate gone mad?.....
China offers its undergraduates a deep dive into the Western mind–Greek, Latin, and Continental European (although there also are a couple of offerings on John Rawls). Why? China appreciates Western creativity and wants to learn the trick. China’s hierarchical society doesn’t foster creativity (that is, tolerate the eccentrics and oddballs who discover things like General Relativity) as well as the West, to be sure. But learning the philosophy and music of the West is the next best thing.

Under Mao Zedong, China had a “cultural revolution” that destroyed its universities and sent academics (and many others) into exile to “learn from the peasants” in remote villages). Now WE are having our own cultural revolution, as a Chinese acquaintance taunted me, complete with “struggle sessions” and “criticism and self-criticism” over supposed systemic racism.

Our brightest young people are out trying to devise the next killer app. The way things are going, we will be geeks in a new Roman Empire. The dissipated, infertile Greeks fell to the intellectually inferior Romans, who absorbed the parts of Greek culture they found useful and, in their own way, preserved it. As we burn down our own culture, China may become the last refuge of classical philology, Western philosophy, and classical music.
https://pjmedia.com/spengler/2021/05/31 ... e-n1451094
I have a certain notoriety among the lesser gods........

Ellen

Re: "'Only he deserves freedom as well as life who must conquer them every day'"

Post by Ellen » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:59 am

Thanks Izz. Wow, it's been a long time since Spengler referenced his favorite writer and his favorite line from Faust. Something must be going on his mind or life to take him back to German literature and its morbid, melancholy world view.

He should return to his old favorite subjects. How much can he possibly write about global finance and Chinese trade balances without shedding tears of ennui? Literature, philosophy, history, and theology are his best subjects, not finance. I hope he writes more like this.

Jim the Moron

Re: "'Only he deserves freedom as well as life who must conquer them every day'"

Post by Jim the Moron » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:17 pm

Yes, Goethe must have been a great writer, if Herr Spengler and many others believe so. As for me, I've never read Faust, not even in translation,

Perhaps to boost his arguments, he takes shots at non--Germanic cultural icons. Recall years back Spengler referred to a "bloody Yeats."" And in the current linked article we have a "malign influence of T.S Eliot."

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:49 pm

The malign influence of T S Eliot, not to mention the Anglo-Saxon aversion to Germany after two world wars, buried Goethe’s reputation in the English-speaking world, and today it is unusual to meet Americans who know the work. That is a pity, because Faust may be the best window that Western analysts have into the mind of the world’s most powerful man.
This may be to say that although Xi has no particular affinity to the West and its values of individual liberty and freedom, he understands the mechanics better than its proponents......

Reading Goldman's essay on Tablet I am struck (even obsessed) by one particular contrast. How the American founders looked at individual liberty and freedom as compared to the sentiments expressed through Mephistopheles and Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. It is clear that with the Declaration of Independence and the Bill of Rights the Founders regarded human rights, liberty and the pursuit of their fulfillment as gifts from God, but this eventually lead to the Neverland society that we're cursed with and we in turn have become the 'lost boys' - Nietzsche's Last Man, but without the good graces to be compliant, docile and mild mannered.......

As expressed in that famous quote, Goethe presents us life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness which we gain through the rule of law and the free market of commerce, industry and ideas not as gifts, but as challenges to our apish natures and lustful desires. The rewards come from meeting those challenges with transcendence. Not that God has gifted our particular nation and epoch with new insight and rules because we somehow pleased Him, but because of revealed wisdom we blunt our habits of envy, resentment and lust for power, dominance and prestige to simply do better......

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:06 pm

So yes..... Benjamin Franklin is credited with the retort, "A republic if you can keep it" while it took a German to say the useful words, but in German and in poetry and only poofs do that so....... whatever.....'>.......

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:38 pm

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:06 pm
So yes..... Benjamin Franklin is credited with the retort, "A republic if you can keep it" while it took a German to say the useful words, but in German in in poetry and only poofs do that so....... whatever.....'>.......
Not so Faust. I take that as a PUNdit of interest :P
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:37 pm

Adjunct to the topic at hand....'>.......

US-China rivalry rooted in lost trust

Both sides need to overcome inherent prejudices and contradictions to rebuild their broken relations

Moreover, the two main players of this complex game are ridden by their own different “prejudices." This way of thinking is made of “prejudices”: unstated and often even unperceived assumptions. In China, the prejudices are about a half-hidden but marked difference between guonei, in the country, and guowai, abroad.

In contrast, America feels like an almost elected nation, something that refers to the history of Israel. It is something very clear in the Western world, the offspring of the Judaic-Greek-Latin tradition, but almost incomprehensible outside of that.
https://asiatimes.com/2021/07/us-china- ... ost-trust/

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:05 am

Goldman digs even deeper into our national malaise/delusion.......
Johnson’s discourse, the text of First Things’ 2006 Erasmus Lecture, was published at a moment when America’s political leaders believed that the Biblical injunction to “proclaim liberty throughout the land” required we “export democracy throughout the world.” In that vein, we dissipated our moral and financial resources on failed foreign adventures and neglected our own circumstances at home, confusing asset bubbles with national wealth. The end of the Cold War left America in a stronger relative position than any power since Rome, yet now we are at severe risk of becoming second rate.

In our impulse for self-congratulation, we tend to think of this Lincolnian National Election as a cosmic testimonial of some kind. In that respect America is in no way unique. Every one of the European kingdoms styled itself “chosen” at some point in its history, starting with dei gesta per Francos during the First Crusade. As I reported in my book How Civilizations Die (2011), each one of the belligerent powers of World War I asserted its own superiority using the language of national election. This sensibility resonated into World War II: Hitler’s “Master Race” was a satanic parody of the Election of Israel. To the extent that we appropriate Lincoln’s language merely to reinforce our self-esteem, we ape the illusions of the fallen powers of the Old World.
https://lawliberty.org/an-almost-blessi ... en-nation/

Hello?...... (tum, tum, tum, tump) Is this thing even on?.....'>......

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:00 am

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:37 pm
Adjunct to the topic at hand....'>.......

US-China rivalry rooted in lost trust

Both sides need to overcome inherent prejudices and contradictions to rebuild their broken relations

Moreover, the two main players of this complex game are ridden by their own different “prejudices." This way of thinking is made of “prejudices”: unstated and often even unperceived assumptions. In China, the prejudices are about a half-hidden but marked difference between guonei, in the country, and guowai, abroad.

In contrast, America feels like an almost elected nation, something that refers to the history of Israel. It is something very clear in the Western world, the offspring of the Judaic-Greek-Latin tradition, but almost incomprehensible outside of that.
https://asiatimes.com/2021/07/us-china- ... ost-trust/
The CCP has shown itself to be an existential threat to the world. It is not rooted in lost trust. The trust should not have been given the CCP in the first place.

I wonder if David has seen this:

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:54 pm

Why villify the PRC when you Americans have more immediate threats to your accustomed freedom within the bounds of your own society?

For instance, think about that rabble incited by Trump to storm your Capital building in January 6th this year.

The right wing militants who contributed numbers to that distuption of Congressional business are still proactive in society at large.