cassowary wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:30 am
neverfail wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:55 am
Milo wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:20 am
neverfail wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:49 am
Well, the Iranian reprisal was measured and surprisingly merciful - only a slap across the wrist. Plain that the Iranian government is trying to be conciliatory.
Or plain that Iran does not have the capability to do more.
:lol: I believe that Iran (as usual) got its international diplomacy right and in the process made chump-Trump look like an arsehole:

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/world/ ... 53psw.html
I think you got it wrong. Trump took a calculated risk by killing Soleimani and WON. Not Iran got its diplomacy correct. They dared not escalate further.

So they fired missiles aimed to miss.
Trump folded. Instead of firing missiles back in reprisal for the missile attack on that US base as he had threatened Trump simply added a few more sanctions to the ones already in place - a face saving faux reprisal if ever there were one.

Diplomatically, Trump was done like a dinner by Iran - and the World knows it even if you cannot figure it out.
More people were killed at Suleimani's funeral (40)than died from Iran's missile attack(0). Purportedly the Iranians gave warning to the Iraqi PM that the attack was coming hours before they made it. More Iranians were killed(82) in the Ukrainian plane crash(shoot down?) than were killed from the missile attack.

Perhaps Obama was a genius of foreign policy. After all those missiles didn't pay for themselves.....
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

cassowary

Re: Trump: a big bluff.

Post by cassowary » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:45 am

neverfail wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:51 am
cassowary wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Milo wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Well, the Iranian reprisal was measured and surprisingly merciful - only a slap across the wrist. Plain that the Iranian government is trying to be conciliatory.
:lol: I believe that Iran (as usual) got its international diplomacy right and in the process made chump-Trump look like an arsehole:

I think you got it wrong. Trump took a calculated risk by killing Soleimani and WON. Not Iran got its diplomacy correct. They dared not escalate further.

Trump folded. Instead of firing missiles back in reprisal for the missile attack on that US base as he had threatened Trump simply added a few more sanctions to the ones already in place - a face saving faux reprisal if ever there were one.

Diplomatically, Trump was done like a dinner by Iran - and the World knows it even if you cannot figure it out.
Trump killed the second most powerful man in Iran. They replied feebly with a rocket attack obviously aimed to miss. Out of 15 rockets, none hit the target. Is their aim so bad?

This is a win for the US and for Trump. Any retaliation that kills would be irresponsible. It might provoke a war. Trump dealt a serious blow without provoking an all out war. Good call on his decision to kill Soleimani.

What happened to all those critics who predicted that it will end up with a war?
The Imp :D

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:40 am

cassowary wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:45 am
neverfail wrote:
cassowary wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Milo wrote:
neverfail wrote:

Trump killed the second most powerful man in Iran. They replied feebly with a rocket attack obviously aimed to miss. Out of 15 rockets, none hit the target. Is their aim so bad?

This is a win for the US and for Trump. Any retaliation that kills would be irresponsible. It might provoke a war. Trump dealt a serious blow without provoking an all out war. Good call on his decision to kill Soleimani.

What happened to all those critics who predicted that it will end up with a war?
On the other hand we now know that Iranian air defense missiles work against commercial airliners

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/09/politics ... index.html
US increasingly believes Iran shot down Ukrainian airliner by accident

By Jim Sciutto, Pamela Brown, Barbara Starr, Zachary Cohen and Maegan Vazquez, CNN

(CNN)The US increasingly believes that Iran mistakenly shot down a Ukrainian airliner on Wednesday, according to multiple US officials. The working theory is based on continuing analysis of data from satellites, radar and electronic data collected routinely by US military and intelligence.
President Donald Trump on Thursday said he suspected the crash was not due to mechanical issues, indicating that "somebody could have made a mistake on the other side."
Asked during a White House event what he thought happened to the plane, Trump said, "Well, I have my suspicions."
European security officials told CNN they believe reports suggesting that the plane was shot down by an Iranian surface to air missile in error are credible.

The timing of the crash has fueled speculation about its cause, coming just hours after Iran fired missiles at two Iraqi bases housing US troops in retaliation for the killing of its top general, also in Iraq. The exchange of attacks between Tehran and Washington on Iraqi soil was a dramatic escalation of tensions between the adversaries, and is raising fears of another proxy war in the Middle East.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:41 am

Doc wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:40 am
cassowary wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:45 am
neverfail wrote:
cassowary wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Milo wrote:

On the other hand we now know that Iranian air defense missiles work against commercial airliners

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/09/politics ... index.html
US increasingly believes Iran shot down Ukrainian airliner by accident

By Jim Sciutto, Pamela Brown, Barbara Starr, Zachary Cohen and Maegan Vazquez, CNN

(CNN)The US increasingly believes that Iran mistakenly shot down a Ukrainian airliner on Wednesday, according to multiple US officials. The working theory is based on continuing analysis of data from satellites, radar and electronic data collected routinely by US military and intelligence.
President Donald Trump on Thursday said he suspected the crash was not due to mechanical issues, indicating that "somebody could have made a mistake on the other side."
Asked during a White House event what he thought happened to the plane, Trump said, "Well, I have my suspicions."
European security officials told CNN they believe reports suggesting that the plane was shot down by an Iranian surface to air missile in error are credible.

The timing of the crash has fueled speculation about its cause, coming just hours after Iran fired missiles at two Iraqi bases housing US troops in retaliation for the killing of its top general, also in Iraq. The exchange of attacks between Tehran and Washington on Iraqi soil was a dramatic escalation of tensions between the adversaries, and is raising fears of another proxy war in the Middle East.
It’s a tragic accident. But it shows their aim is good. That means they intended to miss.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:52 pm

cassowary wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:41 am

It’s a tragic accident. But it shows their aim is good. That means they intended to miss.
They did not miss. The way I heard it the Iranian government warned the Iraq government that the attack was planned and in turn the Iraq government warned the US military authorities one hour before the missiles struck - as the Iran government intended it to do. Since the Americans had bomb shelter bunkers installed at the bases all US personnel had enough time to take shelter from the blasts. The missiles hit their targets as planned but without killing any Americans just as the Iranians intended.

I have to admire the Iranian authorities for the astute way they conducted their faux- reprisal. :D

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:42 pm

neverfail wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:52 pm
cassowary wrote:

They did not miss. The way I heard it the Iranian government warned the Iraq government that the attack was planned and in turn the Iraq government warned the US military authorities one hour before the missiles struck - as the Iran government intended it to do. Since the Americans had bomb shelter bunkers installed at the bases all US personnel had enough time to take shelter from the blasts. The missiles hit their targets as planned but without killing any Americans just as the Iranians intended.

I have to admire the Iranian authorities for the astute way they conducted their faux- reprisal. :D
Oh I see. That means they don’t want war. Neither does Trump.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:15 pm

cassowary wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:42 pm
neverfail wrote:
cassowary wrote:

Of course they don't!

Milo

Post by Milo » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:43 am

neverfail wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:15 pm
cassowary wrote:
neverfail wrote:
cassowary wrote:

Of course they don't!
But they did want Soleimani bumped off.

So far this is diplomacy at its finest!

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:40 am

Milo wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:43 am
neverfail wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:15 pm
cassowary wrote:
neverfail wrote:
cassowary wrote:

Of course they don't!
But they did want Soleimani bumped off.

So far this is diplomacy at its finest!
It is called shake and bake diplomacy :P

cassowary

Re: Trump takes a calculated risk

Post by cassowary » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:42 am

Bottom line is Trump gambled and won.