Once Again, President Trump Is Magnificently Right—This Time About Russia

lzzrdgrrl

Once Again, President Trump Is Magnificently Right—This Time About Russia

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:51 pm

President Trump offended the entire political spectrum with a tweet this morning blaming the U.S. for poor relations with Russia. “Our relationship with Russia has NEVER been worse thanks to many years of U.S. foolishness and stupidity,” the president said, and he is entirely correct. By this I do not mean to say that Russia is a beneficent actor in world affairs or that President Putin is an admirable world leader. Nonetheless, the president displayed both perspicacity and political courage when he pointed the finger at the United States for mismanaging the relationship with Russia.
https://pjmedia.com/spengler/once-again ... ut-russia/

and........
Unfortunately, the delusion that the United States would remake Russia in its own image persisted through the Bush and Obama administrations. I have no reason to doubt the allegations that a dozen Russian intelligence officers meddled in the US elections of 2016, but this was equivalent of a fraternity prank compared to America’s longstanding efforts to intervene in Russian politics.
http://www.atimes.com/article/trump-is- ... th-russia/

Classic spengler in all regards..... We didn't expect David to contradict himself now that the entire Establishment has gone stark raving buttmad, did we?.......'>........
I have a certain notoriety among the lesser gods........

neverfail

Re: Once Again, President Trump Is Magnificently Right—This Time About Russia

Post by neverfail » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:47 pm

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:51 pm
President Trump offended the entire political spectrum with a tweet this morning blaming the U.S. for poor relations with Russia. “Our relationship with Russia has NEVER been worse thanks to many years of U.S. foolishness and stupidity,” the president said, and he is entirely correct. By this I do not mean to say that Russia is a beneficent actor in world affairs or that President Putin is an admirable world leader. Nonetheless, the president displayed both perspicacity and political courage when he pointed the finger at the United States for mismanaging the relationship with Russia.
https://pjmedia.com/spengler/once-again ... ut-russia/

and........
Unfortunately, the delusion that the United States would remake Russia in its own image persisted through the Bush and Obama administrations. I have no reason to doubt the allegations that a dozen Russian intelligence officers meddled in the US elections of 2016, but this was equivalent of a fraternity prank compared to America’s longstanding efforts to intervene in Russian politics.
http://www.atimes.com/article/trump-is- ... th-russia/

Classic spengler in all regards..... We didn't expect David to contradict himself now that the entire Establishment has gone stark raving buttmad, did we?.......'>........
Hi Izzy.

Thanks for drawing my attention (link) to David Goldman's sharing his insights into the current state of Russia - US relations. I was about to post a link publicising the hostile reaction Trump's Helsinki joint press conference with Putin earned him in our local media; but reading Goldman's essay revealing the obverse side of the coin just now has stayed my hand.

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:00 am

We double down with Roger L. Simon:

Putin Summit May Prove to Be Trump's Finest Hour
What? Did you just read that headline correctly?

Yes, you did. Writing it I assumed people's heads would explode. It's about as far as you can can get from today's conventional wisdom (i.e. what David Gergen thinks). Virtually every member of the smart set from Pelosi to McCain to some ninety-five percent of the media, including several cowards on Fox News, to, alas, Lindsey Graham (who should know better) are going out of their minds excoriating Trump for being soft on Putin, even for being "owned" by the neo-Soviet strongman. John Brennan -- once a communist himself, so he should know -- accused Trump of treason.
https://pjmedia.com/rogerlsimon/putin-s ... nest-hour/

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:16 am

"Trump's opponents don't care about results. Overwhelmed with hate, they would prefer to see the president wounded and impeached than succeed with Putin and bring about a world safer from nuclear armageddon."

"You only have to be breathing" to know that.

lzzrdgrrl

"Dear PJ Media Readers: I Have a Bone To Pick With You"

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:36 pm

I notice that my July 16 post, "President Trump is Magnificently Right -- This Time About Russia," drew over 650 comments. My July 19 post, "A Letter to Larry Kudlow: You Need a Different China Strategy," drew 9 comments. It ought to be the other way around. Russia has an economy the size of Italy; Putin has managed his slender resources cleverly and made himself something of a pain in the neck, but Russia's diminished position in the world makes any problem with Russia soluble in principle. China has four times our population and an economy that is already larger than ours on a purchasing power parity basis, and it represents a formidable challenge to American preeminence.
https://pjmedia.com/spengler/american-n ... y-readers/

I have to plead guilty in the comments section but there is a sentiment from the latter neglected essay and it is gold:
This is a very big mistake, for two reasons. The first is that you do not negotiate with China (or Russia or North Korea) by trying to make its leader lose face.

Second, China’s export dependence on the United States is shrinking, not growing. Most of China’s exports are directed towards Asia.
Americans think they're invulnerable and that doesn't hurt until proven otherwise which apparently is what they're trying to do......>>........

neverfail

Re: "Dear PJ Media Readers: I Have a Bone To Pick With You"

Post by neverfail » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:28 pm

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:36 pm
I notice that my July 16 post, "President Trump is Magnificently Right -- This Time About Russia," drew over 650 comments. My July 19 post, "A Letter to Larry Kudlow: You Need a Different China Strategy," drew 9 comments. It ought to be the other way around. Russia has an economy the size of Italy; Putin has managed his slender resources cleverly and made himself something of a pain in the neck, but Russia's diminished position in the world makes any problem with Russia soluble in principle. China has four times our population and an economy that is already larger than ours on a purchasing power parity basis, and it represents a formidable challenge to American preeminence.
https://pjmedia.com/spengler/american-n ... y-readers/
To add to yours;
This is the same kind of narcissism that led us to waste $7 trillion in sand castles in the Middle East. We believed that our political system was a universal solution to all human problems, and if we imposed it on other people, they would act like us. In the case of China, we believe that a radically different culture and political system is ready to collapse.

That is a dangerous delusion.

Milo

Post by Milo » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:30 pm

Often in human affairs once something is bungled it is bungled until the next window of opportunity.

The moment to NOT act happened back during the Obama administration, when the US should have let the Russian quisling in the Ukraine crush the uprising, thus handcuffing Russia to a huge white elephant.

The International law do-gooders in the western foreign policy intelligentsia at that time insisted on interfering -the "duty to protect"- thus decoupling Russia from the troublesome parts of its near-abroad and freeing it to screw with everyone else ever since.

However, that does not mean that what is going on now helps anything, or is even a policy at all.

In point of fact, Trump is acting exactly as a Russian stooge who is American President would act and these rather pathetic attempts to frame this behavior as some sort of canny realpolitik should only draw ridicule.

It would appear that the big lie is alive and well.